jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Report cards

1. Sed-me profile image82
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

A post Radman made about his report cards made me want to comment, but I didn't want to go off topic so I started this thread.

I don't know how many of my report cards said "Beth doesn't follow directions."

Im sure I was ADD, not that they knew what that was back then, but if you didn't hold my attention, I would let it find a new home.

How about you? Was there a common theme in your report cards?

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

bBerean doesn't pay attention in class...doesn't apply himself...doesn't do all of his homework.  All true.  My parents didn't really know what to do with that info since I mostly got A's.  School was boring.

Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I see. You were the genius who wound up sitting next to the rest of us plebs. I highly doubt Im a genius... Im sure you have little doubt either. I would however, like to have my EQ tested. I dare one person to know the end of every movie, every scene or every sentence like I can. I can't add two and two, but I know human nature. I wish there had been a section on the report card for that.

I have 2 older siblings.  One was the same as me.  The other worked very hard to get the same grades, and was always a bit annoyed at the cavalier attitude we had about school, when they took it so seriously.  I've always admired them for it though.

I have a few kids like you... didn't even seem to pay attention and still got As on the tests. I'm pretty sure they got it from their dad.

2. Doris Dancy profile image60
    Doris Dancyposted 2 years ago

From grades 1-9 my report card read, "Doris fails to follow directions in math and continues to lack enthusiasm for this subject.  She needs major help in this area."  The comments varied in length and diction, but they all expressed about the same sentiment.  Alas, the sad thing is that if they were to write a comment today, I'm sure it would be a repeat of the same.

I thought sure you were going to tell us you had a career strongly related to math.  wink

1. Doris Dancy profile image60
        Doris Dancyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That will NEVER happen.  The only thing I can boast of now is knowing how to calculate the percentages at a sale.  I'm VERY good at that.  The irony is that my youngest daughter is extremely good in math.  She has taught me a lot.  Funny!!

2. Sed-me profile image82

I remember hearing a famous family counselor say that it is a mistake to highlight the shortcomings of our children, academically, and that we should instead encourage them in the things they're good at. He made the point that as adults, we gravitate towards the things we're good at in order to be successful. I suppose it is good to be well rounded, but at the same time, most of us will have natural strengths and weaknesses.

working