New theory of life

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. janesix profile image62
    janesixposted 8 years ago

Is life inevitable,due to the laws of nature?

"The formula, based on established physics, indicates that when a group of atoms is driven by an external source of energy (like the sun or chemical fuel) and surrounded by a heat bath (like the ocean or atmosphere), it will often gradually restructure itself in order to dissipate increasingly more energy. This could mean that under certain conditions, matter inexorably acquires the key physical attribute associated with life."

"Self-replication (or reproduction, in biological terms), the process that drives the evolution of life on Earth, is one such mechanism by which a system might dissipate an increasing amount of energy over time. As England put it, “A great way of dissipating more is to make more copies of yourself.” In a September paper in the Journal of Chemical Physics, he reported the theoretical minimum amount of dissipation that can occur during the self-replication of RNA molecules and bacterial cells, and showed that it is very close to the actual amounts these systems dissipate when replicating. He also showed that RNA, the nucleic acid that many scientists believe served as the precursor to DNA-based life, is a particularly cheap building material. Once RNA arose, he argues, its “Darwinian takeover” was perhaps not surprising."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic … y-of-life/

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, life began in the deep blue sea
      And eventually ended up being me.
      But where did the microbes come from?
      Some say meteorites!
      But none of this is proved at all.
      The scientists aren't sure.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Meteorites, Mars, comets, primordial soup...we'll never know with absolute surety.  Not unless we learn to time travel and watch it happen.

janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unless it's an ongoing thing. Then we'd be able to replicate it in the lab.

No - if it is possible that it was the soup, we can show that but we still can't show it was the soup.  Same thing for a meteorite or a comet.  Replicating what might have happened won't prove it did happen; just that it might have.

I agree with that, however what I'm saying is that it might be an ongoing process,and not just something that happened once, billions of years ago.

It could be happening today, how would we know it? If we can figure that out (the rules of life), we could create it in the lab easily.

I have doubts there was a one-time-only primordial soup scenario. I think life is just an inevitable part of the structure of the universe.

And I tend to agree.  Given the conditions at the time, the life we know was probably inevitable and probably developed multiple times.  I think we'd have a really hard time proving that no other type of life (carbon/water/DNA based) is possible - there may have been 100 different forms of life produced on this old ball before one of them took precedence and eliminated the others.  And I really have little doubt that it is going on elsewhere in the universe even as you read this.

I think life is probably abundant in the universe, but it is probably in the form of simpler forms like bacteria. We are probably lucky on this planet to evolve such a variety of increasingly complex forms. Earth is likely a "garden of eden" type planet, with a lot of lucky breaks. Like having a great climate for producing and maintaining complex life. And having a large planet like Jupiter out there to vacuum up the majority of destructive comets etc. 

I bet there is life out there, and we will find it on Titan etc.

I disagree about the earth being "perfect" for life (although Jupiter and the moon are good points).  Rather, I think life will evolve, and to something higher than bacteria, most places it is even half way possible.  Titan, Europa, Enceladus and few other spots in the solar system.  I even think we'll probably find that Mars had life in the past and may still harbor simple life.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Honestly we have no way of knowing.  We know how it happened here; we know how it did not happen on the other places we have data on.  But we have no idea whether or how it may have happened elsewhere which is needed to extrapolate any rules about what the necessary and sufficient causes of life arising on a planet are.

True, I am just speculating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)