jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Homeschooling Math Curriculum

1. RGraf profile image85
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

My 10 year old son is getting bored with his math.  I've moved him a grade from his public school "grade" and he is still bored.  We are currently using the Alpha Omega curriculum which I like but was wondering if there are any other ones that I might need to look into to help him.

1. puregrace profile image78
      puregraceposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I tried different Math curricula with my son and I love Saxon math for both him and my five-year-old daughter. My son reads very well and so he pretty much teaches himself. I check his work and catch him where he messes up - usually because he doesn't want to write down all his work. And he has accuracy problems due to laziness in checking over his work.
      Saxon explains itself quite well. There was one year the work was tedious for him, and then we did most of each lesson orally. That got us through happily.

Our daughter is doing very well doing first grade math. And because she was also an early reader, she can read her questions herself. The new concepts we go over and she enjoys them. I am also very pleased at how well she has learned her math addition and subtraction facts.

Hope that gives you a little to go on!

2. 59
      Brainbusterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Math is to be taught not via curriculum but, with the help of practical aspects. E.g. I played monopoly from the age of 7. Got an excellent idea of number crunching. Role playing games like donning the role of a shopkeeper/merchant etc.

2. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 7 years ago

I used AO math with my kids for awhile, but it just wasn't.clicking like I wanted it to. We switched to Math-U-See and really like it. It's hands-on and works on the Base 10 system which I think  is just easier for kids to understand. If you're going to a conference or curriculum fair thisbspring or summer, you can usually pick up a free demo at their booth. If not, there are videos and samples on their web-site. I don't think it's a very expensive curriculum relative to others. We use AO for everything else except science.

3. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I also liked Saxon math when I was homeschooled, though my mom had to do a bit of work finding the right level for me. One thing I can say is that I did NOT like the A Beka math, it just moved way too slow. I have a couple of hubs on choosing homeschooling curricula, but I'm not certain they'll be any help because I don't think I've specifically mentioned math books. Hmm...maybe it's time to write some reviews! tongue