jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you know of a good curriculum for a new tutoring service?

1. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Do you know of a good curriculum for a new tutoring service?

What do you think is the best curriculum for a tutoring business (tutoring mostly elementary students)?

2. Brandon Spaulding profile image54
    Brandon Spauldingposted 6 years ago

I think you could teach writing skills. These skills are heavily involved in problem solving. Math, science, and technology are also always in demand. Ever thought of being a mentor?

3. LoriSoard profile image73
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

It depends on what type of tutoring you plan to do and the student. Every student learns differently. When I homeschooled my girls, one daughter did great with basic Saxon math and the other couldn't understand Saxon, so we used a hands-on math called Math-U-See. I'm not sure you'll find a one-size-fits-all here. Instead, I'd find used copies of different curriculums that focus on different learning styles (hands-on, visual, audio/reading). Hope that helps.

4. alfetherlin profile image78
    alfetherlinposted 6 years ago

I believe the curriculum should be heavy on reading and writing, as Brandon said, but without the typical structure of a learning lesson.
    Children who need tutors learn best when they are not being forced to learn. The child will already feel poorly because of the need for a tutor, so making the child comfortable, engaged and willing is the most difficult task. Create games that are exciting, do not become boring after the first round and teach the child to read or whichever subject.
    Play is an excellent and effective learning tool.