jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you Know someone with a child with Autism?

1. Sybil Marie profile image80
    Sybil Marieposted 7 years ago

Hi everyone! I am researching for a new Hub. Do you know someone with a child with Autism? have you ever felt awkward around them or wanted to ask a question that you were uncomfortable asking the parents? I would love input on this.
                  Thanks to you all!!!

1. 0
      AdviceDoctorposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My friend has a child with autism. He has no worries talking about it, but no one asks him questions. It's a very.. uncomfortable subject.

2. 0
    poetlorraineposted 7 years ago

my grandson has autism.  It is very difficult for his mum to accept, i do not feel at all difficult around him, but i do not want to say the wrong thing to my daughter in law.

Sybil Marieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

When was your Granddaughter Diagnosed? It can be a long process for the parents, can be similar to the grief process that ends in acceptance. When the parents get there they can begin to see help the child be the best "them" they can be.

3. Sybil Marie profile image80
    Sybil Marieposted 7 years ago

It can be uncomfortable, but it really shouldn't be, at least with most parents I have dealt with. They are happy to answer questions if it will help someone interact with their child. That's why this thread smile

4. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago

I have a friend with two autistic sons. The odds were pretty slim to have two in the same family. They seem to be able to address the issues and subjects without pretense or a need to feel embarrassed. They are extremely practical, and have used resources in the medical community as well as through more natural/nutritional resources.

Sybil Marieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's good to hear Daniel. I've been working on hubs about autism geared toward parents and friends of, and am looking at where I want to go next. I'm appreciating everyone's input

working