Quantum Physics really Alchemy?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

When I studied chemistry years ago, I found topics about quantum physics really abstract & the maths made no sense to me (never been much good at calculus etc).  I get the general concepts presented eg particle-wave duality of light.  I don't see how electron spins etc have any practical application (apparently the theory was useful for reading spectra etc, but it didn't seem to make a lot of sense)

I've been reading about the alchemists, & it is claimed that quantum physics is really modern alchemy

1. superwags profile image67
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of physics and chemistry stems from alchemy, as I'm sure you know. In what sense do you mean quantum physics is alchemy? You mean that knowing about every individual particle allows us to reorder and create gold? Gold can be created in labs by "borrowing" protons from elements lower down the table. Though I can't imagine this is anywhere near economically viable yet.

On your point about eectron spins; we don't see an application for it YET. We didn't have a use for the laser when it was developed and now they're ubiquitous. Sorry to harp on, but I'm a big advocate of blue sky science. We do use quantum for some practical applications already, and will use it for much more. Quantum computing will utterly revolutionise everything as and when it takes over.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been reading about alchemy because 1.  curious about the roots of chemistry & 2.  curious about influences on religions etc.

The alchemists were more about the mystical/spiritual aspects than the practical sides (although they did invent stills etc because they carried out procedures of purification etc).   same themes as religion - purification, renewal, reborn, blah blah blah
        Apparently, nuclear physicists did make gold from lead, but it isn't worthwhile. 
        think what the reference to quantum physics was about all stuff is just matter and energy - at least I think that's what it's getting at.
        Anyway, I never really did understand quantum physics (or any other advanced physics, mainly because it was bogged down in complex maths that didn't make much sense to me).  I found it easier to understand concepts I could easily visualise, like biochemistry, genetics etc
        If you understand quantum physics etc, maybe you could write a hub so laypeople could understand?

1. superwags profile image67

I'm what you'd probably refer to as a reluctant physicist. I'd prefer to read on biology, chemistry etc all day, but physics and maths is at the bottom of everything.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting", as Ernest Rutherford said!

Alchemy is fascvinating - I watched a BBC documentary recently about chemistry that kicked off with alchemy as the starting point, I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

1. profile image0

I must go to bed, it's way past my bed-time.  Will check out vid later.  I am researching for a hub, but have not really pinned down what the hub will be about yet - more about the alchemy or the chemistry or the ancient beliefs

2. superwags profile image67

Got it, that was easier than I expected!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lprEvoFJ8

1. profile image0

very interesting series - I watched the others too.  Can imagine that these 'classic' whizzy bang experiments must have been incredibly exciting for the pioneers. 
            Is amazing that all matter - in living and non-living things is composed of the same collection of elements.
            The quest of the alchemist was to try and turn one element into another,and this has been done by the nuclear physicists   & chemists (radiochemistry).  The alchemist was believed there was some internal transformation/transmutation within too

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)