jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Peoples thoughts and feelings on the Rosetta Stone Learning Devices

1. JohnnyB92 profile image60
    JohnnyB92posted 4 years ago

Please let me know how you feel about Rosetta Stone and learning multiple languages im quite interested but it seems pricey so let me know if its worth it....

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know the company has been around for years, but that's about it. Hopefully, some actual past customers will show up here.

2. gracenotes profile image93
      gracenotesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's kind of a fun program.  It's very basic.  I learned some Italian using it, but I haven't gone past level 1 yet.

You learn by watching photographs of things, places, people, and activities.  You are prompted to repeat what you just heard the narrator say about the photo.

There is some writing (typing) practice, too (actually, it's my favorite part).  This is to help you with spelling and the placement of diacritical marks.

There's also help so you can judge your vowels by the standard native speakers.  You'll find out how "off" your pronunciation is.

Oh, I have to say that I had already studied Spanish, and Italian is so close....  Naturally I did well because I already had exposure to one romance language.

It's expensive, and may be a better buy through Ebay.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have it on my computer (level 2) I used it after taking an on-line course in Spanish, and I didn't have anyone to practice it. I thought it was particularly helpful with regards to pronunciation.

4. oldhorse profile image81
      oldhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I found it moderately helpful in learning Chinese.  There are a limited number of situations included in its lesson materials.  So, I think it is not a substitute for interaction with native speakers.  I think Rosetta Stone probably helped me get from advanced beginner, to low intermediate, then I felt like I outgrew it.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

it is worth it. It deepened my conversational skills in the Span language because of it, it was I think 200 plus three years ago when I bought it. The interface helped me.

3. emrldphx profile image61
    emrldphxposted 4 years ago

Rosetta stone works very, very well. It takes advantage of the natural method your brain uses.

What you have to realize, is you don't learn translation with Rosetta Stone, not directly. You learn a new language from scratch. So at first, you will learn how to say things, but you might not realize what you are saying.

With a little extra study into each of the words you learn, and sentence structure(verb tenses especially), you can get tremendous results out of it.

I used it for Portuguese for a bit, off the demo. I learned a lot, but in the beginning, I didn't know if I was saying 'A boy is talking to a girl', or 'the boy is talking to the girl', or 'the boy and the girl are talking'...

But you start to get a hang of it really quickly. One of the best ways to learn a language.

1. KBEvolve profile image84
      KBEvolveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm using it to teach myself Portuguese. I thought it was overpriced though since I went through all three levels, and it felt incomplete.

It's a great method of learning a language though.