jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What is the best software for learning Spanish not Rosetta Stone?

1. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

What is the best software for learning Spanish not Rosetta Stone?

My son is starting Spanish classes this year and I'd like to take a refresher course to help him have someone to practice with.  I looked into Rosetta Stone and it is prohibitively expensive. Are there good programs out there that are not hundreds of dollars that are really good at teaching language?

2. Tom Vogler profile image82
    Tom Voglerposted 4 years ago

Check your local library.  My library has a section where the books on tape/CDs/movies are which offers foreign language media.  I have seen everything from the basics to a 30 lesson course.   

I am currently using the Rosetta Stone online version to learn Italian and have both positive and negative feelings about that program.

ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would love to read a hub about the ins and outs of Rosetta Stone if you ever feel like writing it smile would like to hear some balanced opinions.

3. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I took a course called "Speed Spanish" that was really quite good and not expensive. I took it online. It teaches you actual useful Spanish for day to day conversation. It is NOT a parrot phrase system, which are a waste of time.
    You can probably just Google it.

That sounds ideal actually, because I took spanish years ago and heard it a lot when I was little with my grandma/great grandma speaking it. The parrot phrase thing I def want to avoid. Thanks!

2. Borsia profile image44
      Borsiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I lived in Colombia for 3 years and for the most part didn't need more than what I learned in that class to live & get things done. Casual conversations weren't so easy but that is largely because there are so any forms of Spanish.

4. hrymel profile image88
    hrymelposted 4 years ago

Try Livemocha dot com and Busuu dot com, they both are online language learning communities.  You can use them for free or upgrade for more challenging material.  They both have helped me a great deal.  They have speaking, reading, and vocabulary lessons as well as a wonderful international community, that has helped me connect with pen pals.

excellent thank you smile

5. Rev. Akins profile image78
    Rev. Akinsposted 4 years ago

I like duolingo, it is an app on a tablet or phone, but you can also use a computer. It is free and similar to how Rosetta Stone works. It also reminds you via email to practice some every day.

Sounds cool, I'll check it out thank you

working