Brad Pitt Movies List
I tried to create a complete Brad Pitt filmography on this page. I listed the movies in chronological order; you'll notice that in most of the earlier films (late 1980s), he appeared in a lot of films as an uncredited extra. Since then, his star has grown brighter than that of almost all of the people who starred in those early movies.
I often lament that we no longer have legendary big-screen movie stars of the same caliber as we had during the golden age of Hollywood. We have great actors working today, but few of them have that larger-than-life quality that Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, and Jimmy Stewart had. But we've got Brad Pitt. He looms larger than life.
Brad Pitt acts in a LOT of movies. My current list includes 46 movies that he's appeared in since the beginning of his career in 1987, when he appeared in several movies, including Less Than Zero and No Way Out, as an un-credited extra. His career really took after he appeared in (in 1991) Thelma and Louise as J.D. He's a far cry from one of the main characters, but it's a significant role in the film.
The Academy Awards have nominated Pitt for acting Oscars four times. He has also been nominated for BAFTAs for acting three times. He's also been nominated for dozens of film critic awards, winning many of them. For example, he won the Boston Society of Film Critics award for best actor in 2011 for his performance in Moneyball, and he won the George Film Critics Association award for best supporting actor for his performance in The Tree of Life. In fact, I could (and might) write an entire hub just about the various awards Brad Pitt has won during his career.
Pitt shined in the 1990s. Some of his notable roles during that decade include:
- Paul Maclean in A River Runs through It (1992)
- Louis de Pointe du Lac in Interview with the Vampire (1994)
- Detective David Mills in Se7en (1995)
- Jeffrey Goines in 12 Monkeys (1995)
- Tyler Durden in Fight Club (1999)
Critics and audiences paid those roles the most attention, but he appeared in several other movies during that decade.
His career didn't slow down in the 2000s, either. Some of the major roles from the first decade of the new millennium include:
- Rusty Ryan in Ocean's Eleven (2001), Ocean's Twelve (2004), and Ocean's Thirteen (2007)
- Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
- Benjamin Button in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
- Lieutenant Aldo "The Apache" Raine in Inglourious Basterds (2009)
The 2010s look good, too. Roles so far have included:
- Billy Beane in Moneyball (2011)
- Samuel Bass in 12 Years a Slave (2013)
I'm sure this hub will need constant updating, because it seems as if Brad Pitt is going to continue to be one of the most prolific and sought-after actors in the movie business.
And now, on to the big, complete list:
#1 No Way Out
I saw No Way Out years ago, but I don't remember Brad Pitt. I think he plays a waiter or something. It's a 1987 thriller starring Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman. You don't hear much about it any more, but it's a well-thought of film. No Way Out has a 90% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and critic Roger Ebert gave the film four out of four possible stars.
The Official Trailer for No Way Out
Best Brad Pitt Performances?
Which of these Brad Pitt movies is your favorite?See results without voting
#2 No Man's Land
No Man's Land is another 1987 film, and it's also a thriller. Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid co-star. Brad Pitt appears in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene as an extra. Unlike No Way Out, this one isn't especially well thought of by the critics. In fact, I'd never heard of it before I started researching movies to add to this list.
No Man's Land Trailer
Brad Pitt's Worst Performances?
Which movies were Brad Pitt's worst?See results without voting
#3 Less Than Zero
Less Than Zero also arrived in 1987. Brad Pitt stayed busy with small roles that year, didn't he? Andrew McCarthy, James Spader, and Robert Downey Jr. co-star in this crime film which is based on the eponymous novel from Bret Easton Ellis. The movie has its devoted fans, but critical reviews are mixed. Brad Pitt plays a partygoer/preppie in another uncredited role as an extra.
Less Than Zero Trailer
#4 Happy Together
Happy Together is a 1989 romantic comedy starring Patrick Dempsey and Helen Slater (you might remember her from Supergirl.) I'd never heard of this film before I started researching this page. I checked Rotten Tomatoes, and audiences gave it a 45% rating. There was NO rating there from movie critics, so I'm guessing it's an obscure one.
Happy Together Clip Featuring Brad Pitt Looking Pretty
Brad Pitt Movies List
I'm still doing some work on this one. Eventually I'll have included the trailers and full descriptions for each of the films on the list, but for now, here are the rest of the Brad Pitt movies:
- Cutting Class
- Across the Tracks
- Thelma and Louise - Probably the first notable movie that Brad Pitt was in. He has sex with the Geena Davis character--not a big role, but an important role.
- Johnny Suede
- Cool World
- A River Runs Through It - Features a great performance by Brad Pitt. Heck, it's just a great movie overall. Definitely worth seeing.
- True Romance - This one was written by Quentin Tarantino, but he didn't direct. Brad Pitt plays a stoner, and he's hilarious.
- The Favor
- Interview with the Vampire - Tom Cruise is really good in this movie, but I didn't care much about Brad Pitt's performance. It might have just been because his character was kinda lame. Love the movie though.
- Legends of the Fall
- Se7en - Man, now that I'm going down the list, I'm getting pretty impressed at the sheer quantity of great movies that Pitt has been in. He's a movie star, allright. (And this film is a must-see.)
- 12 Monkeys - I liked this movie a lot. If you like science fiction fantasy stuff, then you'll probably like it too.
- The Devil's Own
- Seven Years in Tibet
- The Dark Side of the Sun
- Meet Joe Black - Pitt's performance in this is similar to his performance in Interview with the Vampire. It's not bad, but it's a long movie, and kinda odd.
- Fight Club - Another terrific film. It's full of quotable lines, and Pitt's performance is terrific.
- Being John Malkovich - I haven't seen this one yet, but it's always really high on list of to-watch movies.
- The Mexican
- Spy Game - Brad Pitt teams up with Robert Redford, and who would have guessed? They even look a little bit like each other. Maybe Redford is Pitt's dad?
- Ocean's Eleven - Sorry, not a very good movie. I know everyone loves it, but it's just lame on almost every level.
- Full Frontal
- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - I saw this, loved it, but I don't remember Brad Pitt in it.
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
- Abby Singer
- Ocean's Twelve
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith
- Ocean's Thirteen
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
- Burn After Reading - Pitt demonstrates that he's perfectly capable of doing physical comedy in this one. Great Coen Brothers movie, but not their best, either.
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Pitt's best performance to date, as far as I'm concerned, and an almost perfect movie in every way.
- Inglourious Basterds - This was a fun movie, although Brad Pitt didn't really impress me much with his acting in this one.
- The Tree of Life
- Happy Feet Two
- Killing Them Softly
- World War Z
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Counselor
That's a lot of Brad Pitt movies. Some of these films even got mentioned in my 100 Good Movies hub. Hope you enjoyed my comments on the movies that I've seen on the list.