jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

How would one become a tabloid reporter?

1. TN21 profile image60
    TN21posted 6 years ago

for someone who will never win the Pulitzer prize but would like to get into the media/journalism field, if you would call tabloid reporters "journalists".

- Do you need a B.A.in English with Communication/Journalism minor?

- Must live around the NYC or LA area?

- How many years of experience in the field shoul you have? Would internships and college papers count as experience?

- Would a mediocre writer be able to have a steady position?

Any tips and/or insights would be helpful.

2. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Why would one even want to become a tabloid reporter?  That's a pretty disgraceful use of writing, I think.   hmm

1. TN21 profile image60
      TN21posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I know that! They're very frown upon but it seems like a fun job. tongue

1. Dao Hoa profile image58
        Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it would be tiresome.

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 6 years ago

I've heard that the National Enquirer pays anyone who has a weird story from any location....can't remember exactly what they title it...but it is like a contest with a sum of money for the best submission.

I would imagine, if you've got the goods and are willing to do what it takes to get the goods, you could successfully audition for one of those rags.  I know for sure that string photographers (paparazzi) are used.

You could also just go to their websites and check out the employment section.  They are businesses like any other.

1. TN21 profile image60
      TN21posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info.

It seems like you need more of a good networking skill rather than writing skill to get inside track on "celebrities" and "the famous for being famous" to get the good gossip stories and whatnot.

4. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

smile   I can see how someone may think that, but somehow I'm guessing it wouldn't be a whole lot of fun and would probably be a lot of horrible pressure and general grief.  Maybe I'm wrong....          smile

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I think having a bent for creative writing is all one needs to be a tabloid reporter smile Then again, you could always write for Fox News lol

6. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 6 years ago

Moral creativity perhaps, and good imagination for those exciting days paraphrasing and quoting crud from parliament