jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Alamo Drafthouse and the Moviegoing Experience

1. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Have you heard about the Austin, Texas theater that threw out a woman who was using her cell phone?  They turned her ranting voicemail complaint into a PSA against texting or talking during a movie.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookou … 25090.html

2. Aficionada profile image94

Seriously - no one noticed or is interested?

Yeah, it's not politics, religion, or what HP staff are doing.  But maybe that's why we need to notice it: to give us something different to argue or to cheer about.

3. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

I thought all theaters threw out people that used their cell phones during a movie, as it disrupts the rest of the audience, so how it alamo drafthouse any different?  hmm

4. Aficionada profile image94

That's encouraging to hear that all of them do that.  I haven't seen that yet.  And apparently the woman didn't think there was anything wrong with it, because she said that she had texted in every theater in Austin. So I guess she hadn't been thrown out before.

Alamo Drafthouse used her voicemail-recorded rant against them in their Public Service Announcement about not texting or talking during the movie.  That is different from other theaters, as far as I can tell.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Probably.  I know in all the theaters that I've been to, it's always been like that.  Then again, if she was merely just texting, then that's probably how she got away with it to begin with, as most people don't usually pay attention to someone when they text during a movie. 

That's a new one by me, as I didn't even know they did that.  It might be part of a new policy they implemented.  I'm glad you told me this, as I'll be sure to be careful, as i was actually thinking of going to Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow anyways.  lollol   Personally, I don't see why they didn't just throw her out, as I know most theaters would've done that.  However, I guess they figure it's better to make an example of the woman.

5. Aficionada profile image94

They did originally just throw her out.  But she was incensed, apparently went home or elsewhere, then called their telephone and ranted at them - not in person, but as a voicemail message.

Alamo Drafthouse apparently has for years had a number of PS announcements against rude behavior, including at least one by Ann Richards.  According to the article, she approached them to ask why she had never been asked to do one before. smile  On the page of the article I linked, you can see the video of both:  the PSA of the woman's rant and the PSA with Ann Richards.