Tips for an Ultra Independent Artist to Produce A Quality Music Project
Everybody's road will be different in creating a musical project/CD that they can be proud of. I have walked this path several times and find the journey to be a welcome challenge and very creative. It took me down roads that opened my heart and gave me strength, it also challenged me as a human being --and finally-- it gave my character a boost. Below are some of the simple and not so simple tips for creating a final product.
1. Dedicate yourself to a finished project...the art of completion is the most important aspect of creating a great project that you can be proud of.
2. Set yourself a loose time line for completion
3. Explore ways to work with other musicians and producers who are looking to get their work out into the world...and collaborate with them...I find soundcloud a wonderful place to find producers from all over the world who were willing to work with me for free on our own creative terms...Reverbnation is also another place to research this topic and find like minded creative people
4. When you have found people that you feel you can work with...draw up a collaborators agreement stating the share of the song ownership and shares of future revenues and song credit...here is an informative link: http://www.internetmedialaw.com/articles/collaborator-songwriter-agreements/
5. Choose at least 10 tracks from one or a combination of various musical producers...choose tracks that have a high quality or a strong production component
6. Write 10 original songs
7. Find a reasonably priced studio in your area to record in. I live in LA, I work out of The Invisible Studios in West Los Angeles...I found this studios and engineers by doing the research online
8. Prepare yourself before you go into the studio to save time and money...have all songs written and ready to be recorded from start to finish...break it up into two or three 2 hour sessions
9. Select artwork...photos and or graphic artwork from either your own collection or have a friend or another artist looking to get their work out there to produce something for you.
10. Have the producers of the songs mix and create final tracks for you...this should be included in the collaborators agreement
11. Find the most inexpensive way to master the music...do the research...this might be the most expensive part of the project...check the prices from the studio you do your vocals in. You can also ask the producers or collaborators to split the cost with you!
12. If you are interested in creating physical CD's : Create a final packaged product through Disc Makers..I like this company for all of the different options in duplication
13. When the project is complete and ready for the world...open an account on CD Baby if you do physical duplication! ...I find this to be the best place for independent artists to get their music out and get it to all or most of the online marketplaces...again do the research...I have worked with company since 200. You can also your music on iTunes -- once again do the research!
14. Find creative ways of self marketing you music online...again...do the research and link your websites or blogs to as many musical portals as possible...and of course set yourself up on all of the social networks
**I hope these tips are informative and help you along the way...have fun first and foremost...if I come up with anything else I will be sure to come back to this article and update it for you the reader!
- How to Make Your Own CD Packaging | eHow.com
How to Make Your Own CD Packaging. It's never been easier for musicians to record, package, and sell their music than it is today. The Internet has opened up avenues for self promotion that were not available to musicians in the...
Things To Remember Along The Way
The first and most important thing to remember while you endeavor to create something you believe in wholeheartedly is never to judge the work...believe in yourself and your creative talents...don't let anyone destroy your courage and determination to get things done...there will be challenges...they are a part of life...don't get discouraged and impatient...see it through...take little steps...don't overwhelm yourself with to do lists that bust at the seams...doing one thing a day is perfect.
Second...don't worry about how much it will cost or how much money you will make...just get it done...everything else will fall into place...wrangle your friends and family to help along the way.
- What to Do Before Going to Record Your Independent Album
The more you do to prepare yourself before recording your songs, the more enjoyable the process and the product will be.
More by this Author
Professional blogging a new way to create and live free.
where does enthusiasm come from? it comes from letting go of what others think of you...it comes from finding and cultivating the joy in your being...it comes from doing the things that you love to do...it comes from...
Ten simple ideas for writing inspirational poetry.