jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

The Binky Bond

1. Sauvignon profile image61
    Sauvignonposted 6 years ago

My daughter has passed the 2 and a half year old mark and is quickly cruising around to the 3 and she still sucks on a pacifier! She is generally a very sweet, happy and energetic toddler, but mess with her binky and she is all spit-fire and tantrums.  I'm worried because she's trying to talk around it all the time which is increasing the drool factor leading to raw and rashy chin problems.  Any helpful Battle Tactics?

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I would just gently start letting her know now that she'll be a "big girl" when she turns 3 and the binky will have to go. Make sure there's something to replace it that she will get at the same time -- a big girl bed or something like that. Don't make it a bribe, just kind of a mark that she's getting older.

Keep up the conversation with her until her birthday. Plan what you'll do with the binky when it's time to go. Bury it, put it under her pillow for the binky fairy, whatever. And when it's time to get rid of it, make sure that she's the one to get rid of it.

I've been through this three times and each one has been pretty painful! Good luck!

1. Sauvignon profile image61
      Sauvignonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the Binky Fairy idea might just do the trick.  She's moved on to all the other the big girl things with bottles to cups, crib to full bed- even picking up all her toys. Here gos! tongue Thanks

3. TINA V profile image80
    TINA Vposted 6 years ago

If you want to have a quicker result, you may put a little spice on her pacifier. Be sure you don't put too much. This will taste a little hot so your daughter will be the one to say no to her binky.  We have used this technique since my grandmother's time.  Have a great week!