The Huguenot emigrants 1680 History of Charleston the french Church
The Huguenot emigrants, who only arrived in Charleston 1680 to
1686, began their "French Church" in Charleston about 1687 in the
upper part of Charlestons Church Street on land conveyed by Ralph
Izard and Mary his wife (a Miss Middleton) for that pur-
pose. Isaac Mazyck, one of Charlestons earliest and wealthiest
emigrants of their race, gave generously to Charleston. At the other end of Church Street were the
Baptists, on land in Charleston given by William Elliott, and the Quak-
ers had a " Friends' Meeting House ' outside the walls,
near to the present King Street in Charleston.
Thus in ten years from the founding of Charleston or
CharlesTown there was no lack of places of worship; it is remarkable
that although no one of the original buildings in Charleston remains
churches still stand upon each of these sites, belong-
ing to the same organizations and denominations. The
" Friends' is the only exception to this. The building
was destroyed by fire, and there being no Quakers now in
Charleston it was never rebuilt ; but the lot is kept sacred,
and is still owned by the society.
So far the people of all these various denominations
were, with the exception of a few Dutch, from Nova-Belgia,
descendants of Great Britain, subjects of the King ; but now
from 1680 to 1688 came the French Huguenots, strangers
and aliens, into this English community.
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.