Quick And Easy Pesto Recipes: How To Use Fresh Basil To Make A Delicious Pesto Sauce
Culinary Basics - How to Make Fresh Pesto Sauce
For you, HOLLE
One of the most delicious dishes for using up fresh basil is pesto sauce. This pesto sauce is by far my favorite and the easiest one I’ve ever made.
My daughter, Kate substituted spinach for half of the basil one time and the result was just as delicious.
I grow my own basil and have it on hand throughout the summer. I quadruple this recipe and then drop by teaspoons and tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. I put the sheet in the freezer until the balls of pesto are frozen and then transfer to a freezer zip-lock bag.
You can also freeze in ice cube trays of varying sizes or long strip ice cube trays.
When I need fresh pesto sauce for any recipe, I thaw out the appropriate amount and presto (or pesto) – I have fresh sauce in the correct amount.
Calories from fat 46
Total fat 5 gm
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 28 mg
Total carbs 1 g
Dietary fiber 0 g
Protein 1 g
Exchange approximation – Fat 1
FRESH PESTO SAUCE RECIPE
8 servings – 1/2 cup per serving at most
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves or substitute part spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (roast them first if desired in a dry skillet)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or similar cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor or a blender. Process until almost smooth.
- Pour the oil through the feed tube with the food processor or blender running at the slowest speed.
- Process until blended.
Recipe courtesy The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
THE MANY USES FOR PESTO SAUCE
- Pesto sauce packs a powerful punch and you don’t need much of it.
- Use it to flavor pasta but a little bit goes a long way.
- Use as a base sauce on pizza or flat bread pizza.
- Use as a sauce for grilled fish or chicken.
- You can also add sun-dried tomatoes to it and make a sun-dried tomato pesto!
- Use it as a dressing for mozzarella and tomato salad.
- Combine with chicken and vegetables and make chicken salad.
- Spread on bread instead of garlic butter.
- Add a dab to scrambled eggs or quiche.
- Spread a wee bit on in place of mayo in any sandwich.
More Pesto Choices
- The Worlds Best Basil and Garlic Pesto!
Oddly enough this recipe was given to me by my best friends Grandma. What's odd is that they were Polish. Babtcha (that's what we called her) was a barely five foot tall, stooped over in the middle 86 year...
- Pesto Recipe
There are 3 main sauces or dressings for pastas, namely marinara, alfredo and pesto. Of all these 3, my favorite is pesto. You can always get a pre-packed pesto sauce from the supermarket but again, nothing...
- Fresh & Flavorful Pesto Recipes
Quick recipes for Basic Basil, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Chile Pesto, Mint Pesto, and Goat Cheese Pesto... for chip-dipping and pasta dishes!
- Delicious Wild Garlic Pesto-and Soup
Wild garlic - a hardy perennial of the onion family-is appreciated for its delicious garlic flavoured leaves, bulbs, and flowers. It grows profusely in wooded areas throughout Ireland, (and other areas...
- Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe - A Very Easy and Tasty Fir...
A pasta salad with an easy basil sauce - great for entertaining
More by this Author
What is barley and how can you cook with it? There are many different kinds of barley and some forms are more nutritious than others.
Drying herbs is an easy way to preserve your garden's harvest year round. It's also a very inexpensive way to get dried herbs for very little cost. I dry my herbs in a dehydrator but there are several methods. See...
EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) therapy is useful in treating many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how to self-administer this therapy anytime and anyplace.