Easy, Low Calorie Side Dish Recipes
3 Cabbage “Cole” Slaw
This is a great, low calorie alternative to regular coleslaw because it doesn’t use mayonnaise.
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange or apricot marmalade
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
1. In a large bowl, mix cabbage with chives.2. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, marmalade and ginger. Then pour over cabbage. 3. Toss and serve.
Not sure where to buy couscous? Order online & have it delivered!
Couscous & Vegetable Salad
Couscous is packed with nutrients and cooks quickly.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the couscous, peas, and corn. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 4, but this recipe is easily doubled.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
This is great to make ahead of time!
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop cucumbers, tomatoes and shallots.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Try Cooking with These:
Colorful Pasta Salad
- 1 lb. tri-color pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 6 baby carrots, sliced thinly into circles
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, and cut into thin slices
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle Fat Free Italian Dressing
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.2. Cut broccoli into florets. Blanch in hot water and rinse with cold water. 3. Mix pasta, broccoli, carrots, red pepper, cucumber, and onions in a large bowl and chill. 4. Just before serving, pour dressing over pasta and vegetables. Mix well. Serves 8!
More Hubs with Recipes & Cooking Tips:
More by this Author
An easy guide to cook pumpkin puree at home. Once you go fresh, you'll never go back.
Ginger is one of the foods that can give you a health punch because it is so full of healthy benefits for your body (and mind). Fresh ginger is best, so it is a good idea to keep some around (see below for storage...
A beginner's guide to knitting a scarf. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to knit a homemade scarf with directions for knit and purl stitches, two easy scarf patterns, knitting terminology glossary, and valuable...