Lemon Curd Sponge Cake with Lemon Cheesecake Topping ~ Recipe
Lemon Sponge with Lemon Cheesecake Topping ~ Ingredients
This cake has pedigree. It was designed and made (by me) specifically for the first BBC 3 Counties Kitchen radio show and was pretty much devoured live on air.
Both the lemon curd sponge and the cheesecake topping are easy to make and together create a moist, luscious lemon sponge that just melts into a sweet / sharp lemon cheesecake top.
Lemon Curd Sponge Cake: Cream Cheese Topping:
8oz butter (softened) 8oz plain soft cheese
8oz caster sugar 4oz icing sugar
8oz self raising flour 4 fld oz double cream
4 eggs zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 2 lemons Dessert spoon lemon curd
2 dessert spoons lemon curd
1 tsp baking powder
For the Sponge:
1. Grease and line 2 x 7” round cake tins and heat oven to 160C (140C fan oven)
2. Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each to ensure they are fully incorporated.
4. Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture and fold in
5. In a separate bowl mix the lemon curd with the lemon juice and zest, then add to the sponge mixture and mix thoroughly
6. Divide the mixture between the 2 cake tins and bake in the oven for approx 20 – 25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool.
For the Cheesecake Mix:
1. In a large mixing bowl add the soft cheese, icing sugar and double cream and whisk to the consistency of lightly whipped cream i.e. it can hold its shape.
2. In a separate bowl mix the lemon juice and zest with the lemon curd to a pourable consistency.
3. Save a couple of tablespoons to one side to decorate the cake, then add the rest of the lemon mix to the cheesecake mix and whisk again until the mix can hold its own shape.
To Create the Cake
1. Place one half of the cake on a serving plate and spread with half the cheesecake mixture.
2. Place the other half of the cake on top and cover with the remaining mixture
3. Using either a piping bag or a tea spoon drizzle the saved lemon mix in concentric circles over the top of the cake, then using a skewer draw lines from the centre of the cake outwards to create the web effect.
4. Sprinkle with grated dark chocolate
Got Recipes to Share?
HubPages is an article site for sharing knowledge and information - with the potential to earn money in the process.
So if you have recipes you'd like to share, or just enjoy writing, why not sign up today.
HubPages is free to join and use and gives you a platform to say what you want to say (within reason of course). So if you've ever fancied being a writer why not see what it's like and join HubPages today.
- Quick and Easy Fruitcake Recipe
Fruitcake, in some form or another, has been around for centuries - and that's the great thing about it - there are no set rules about what makes a fruitcake a fruit cake - apart from the fact it contains...
- Dairy Free Carrot Cake Recipe
Moist, dark, full of flavor and packed full of fruit and veg, dairy free carrot cake is a king among cakes. The recipe below can be made as either a single cake or gives enough mixture for 12 cupcakes. As...
- Rhubarb Recipe - Easy Recipe for Rhubarb and Ginger ...
Rhubarb muffins are easy to make and very morish, so use this easy rhubarb recipe to make a great teatime treat.
- Chocolate Sponge Cake with Buttercream and Blueberri...
If If you're looking for an easy chocolate sponge cake recipe then this is it. Nothing puts me off a recipe more than a page of ingredients which reads more like a weekly shopping list, and a set of...
- Easy Homemade Soup Recipes ~ Roasted Garlic and Pea ...
This is one of the easiest homemade simplest homemade soup recipes to make ~ and once the garlic is roasted it's also very quick ~ less than 20 mins from beginning to end. If you've never used roasted garlic...
- Homemade Soup Recipes - Broccoli and Cheese Soup Rec...
Homemade broccoli and cheese soup is a real winter warmer. It's quick to make at around 20-30 mins, has relatively few ingredients which is always good in my book, and most importantly looks and tastes like a...
- Healthy Eating Poached Chicken Salad Recipe
I have a few rules when it comes to healthy eating. First, under no circumstances will I compromise on flavour. Second, I won't go near any 'low fat' products where the fat has been replaced by artificial...
- Tuna Salad Recipe with Potatoes, Capers and Mint
This versatile Tuna and Potato salad with mint and capers provides a great light lunch or dinner option and can also be used as the basis for other salads and meals.
More by this Author
It's always a bit of a thrill to come up with a new cupcake recipe, and these orange and cinnamon cupcakes are sure to become a firm favourite. Cupcakes are a treat, something a little bit 'naughty' but very nice....
This chocolate sponge cake with butter-cream and blueberries is decadent, indulgent and surprisingly simple to make - you can even mix it up to suit you with different fruits or butter-cream flavours
If your cake sinks in the middle when you take it out of the oven, it doesn't mean you can't bake. It just means you need to make a few adjustments. Follow these easy tips to prevent/rescue it.
No comments yet.