Meals under $1.25: Easy Chicken Spaghetti
Growing up on a farm, I ate a lot of chicken. We also ate quite a bit of spaghetti with beef meatballs. But I never had chicken spaghetti until I was well into my twenties. Well, I'm here to tell you, I was missing out. Chicken spaghetti is good stuff!
When I make spaghetti dishes I always break the spaghetti into shorter pieces. I know it takes all the fun out of it, but I get tired of wearing spaghetti sauce. I would much rather eat it. So if you have also advanced to the point where you no longer want to wear your spaghetti sauce, you might consider breaking your spaghetti into thirds or fourths also.
Let's look at our recipe.
Have one 1 portion of chicken, from hub, Building Meals Under $1.25: Using 10 Pounds Chicken in 5 Recipes to Make 26 Servings, ready for use to make your meal, or use 2 cups chopped cooked chicken. The recipe will serve 6 easily.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2.25 oz can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 oz pimentoes, drained
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- two cups chopped cooked chicken, or 1 portion of chicken prepared as indicated above (Chef's Note: You can also use 2 cups cups chopped Cloverleaf's Rotisserie Chicken.)
- 8 oz spaghetti, broken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese, sharp cheddar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Gather together the ingredients you will need.
Chop onions and celery. If the celery stalk has leaves, I include those also.
Heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and celery, and saute until onion becomes transluscent and starts to brown along the ends. Remove from heat.
Add drained olives and pimentoes, stir together.
Add cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, chopped chicken, and spaghetti to onion and celery mixture. Mix together well.
Pour into casserole dish.
Top evenly with grated cheese.
Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and enjoy!
- 2 T. olive oil = .06 / serving
- 3 stalks celery = .05 / serving
- 1 medium onion = .08 / serving
- 2.25 oz can sliced black olives = .10 / serving
- 2 oz pimentoes = .10 / serving
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup = .19 / serving
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup = .14 / serving
- 1 portion of chicken = .20 / serving
- 8 oz spaghetti = .11 / serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese, sharp cheddar = .18
- Total cost per serving = $1.21 for each of 6 servings
All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2011 Cindy Murdoch (homesteadbound)
Your Future is Waiting! Do you feel you have great information or stories to share with others? Sign Up Here. . . It’s quick, easy and free to join HubPages!
- Building Meals Under $1.25: Using 10 Pounds of Chicken in 5 Recipes to Make 26 Servings and Feeling
- Meals Under $1: Homemade Country-Style Chicken Pot Pie
- Meals Under $1: Chicken Fried Rice and Egg Drop Soup
- Meals Under $1: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Meals Under $1.25: Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Meals Under $1.50: Easy Mexican Chicken Salad
- Meals Under $1: Curried Squash Soup and Cheese Toast
- Meals Under $1: Not Just Another Grilled Cheese Sandwich
More by this Author
April is National Soft Pretzel month. Did you know that soft pretzels have been made since the 6th century, but hard pretzels were not made until the 19th century, and then only accidentally? This soft pretzel recipe is...
Looking for an elegant and easy one dish meal - try this Ham, Cheese, and Broccoli Ring or Braid. It will be sure to please.
What causes Vitamin D deficiency? and what are the results of this deficiency? What if you can't figure out what is causing it?