Tips On How to Cook Red Cabbage
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: Serves four people
There are many recipes to consider when learning how to cook red cabbage. It should be mentioned that red cabbage does not have to be cooked to be eaten. It can be eaten raw as a salad which will retain its nutrition value. However, if you are interested in learning how to cook it, there are a few methods of doing so.
The Food Value of Red Cabbage
Before you learn to cook red cabbage, you should know that red cabbage is a highly nutritious vegetable. Red cabbage is very low in saturated fats and cholesterol; it is high in calcium, iron and magnesium. It is high in dietary fibres and contains vitamin A, C, K and B6. Any food with this much of nutrition is a must in your diet.
Red Cabbage with Apples Ingridients
- 1 Red Cabagge
- 25 g Butter
- 1 Large finely sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 Apple peeled, cored and grated
- 4 Tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon of sugar
- 2 Tablespoon of red currant jam
- 100 ml of cold water
Cooking Red Cabbage
Learning how to select red cabbage is also part of learning how to cook it. Similar to all types of other cabbages, red cabbage has to be selected very carefully. It should have crisp leaves with no holes in it and it should be firm and heavy.
When preparing it for cooking, you should remove the outer leaves and cut the cabbage in half and then into quarters. The hard white core should be cut out and not used. Once the cabbage is cut, wash it thoroughly to ensure that no insects or any other chemicals are in the cabbage.
- Melt butter in a dish over medium heat.
- Place onions in the dish and cook till soft but not browned.
- Add spices, cut cabbage, apple, red wine vinegar and sugar.
- To this mix add 100ml of cold water.
- Stir well to ensure that all ingredients are mixed well.
- Stir till sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally and ensure that the cabbage is cooked and the water has evaporated.
- Add the red currant jam and let it melt, then serve.
Stir Fried Red Cabbage
Another method of cooking red cabbage is to stir fry it. You can do this by heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and adding the cabbage and any other vegetables. Stir fry for 4 to 5 minutes. The leaves should be crisp. This is an excellent method to ensure that the nutrition value remains in the red cabbage without cooking it completely.Now that you know two methods of how to cook red cabbage, you can explore further and try out new ways of cooking red cabbage.
More by this Author
Garlic bread is actually regular bread topped with minced garlic and olive oil or butter which is then grilled or baked. This article tells you how to make garlic bread with regular bread, its nutritious value and...
No comments yet.