What Is Zabaglione? How to Make Lemon Zabaglione - Step-by-Step with Pictures
What is Zabaglione?
Zabaglione is a traditional Italian dessert sauce made with eggs yolks, sugar and Marsala - whisked together and cooked until thickened over a gentle heat in the top of a double boiler or saucepan. The name 'Zabaglione' is derived from a Neapolitan dialect word which means 'to foam'.
Zabaglione can be served warm or chilled with sweet, crisp almond cookies for dipping or as a topping for fruit or ice cream. It is quite rich, so it is usual to serve Zabaglione only in small amounts.
Here is a simple step-by-step recipe for Lemon Zabaglione which takes only 5 minutes to prepare, a further 5 minutes to cook and is sufficient to serve 4 people adequately.
You will need:
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons Marsala
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup white wine
- 8 almond cookies or biscuits (for dipping)
To Make Zabaglione
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl until light and creamy.
2. Add Marsala, lemon juice and wine, and whisk until combined.
3. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir over heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
4. Spoon into serving glasses and serve with fruit (whole or sliced, as desired) and almond cookies.
More Italian Inspiration
Other recent hubs by this author
- How to Make Eclairs: Chocolate, Coffee, Mocha, Raspberry and Strawberry
Eclairs are finger-shaped buns made by piping lengths of choux pastry onto greased baking trays and baking them until crisp. The cooked pastry shells are then split open and filled with either freshly whipped...
- How to Make Danish Pastries
Danish pastries make delicious morning and afternoon teatime treats which are always popular. There is a wide range of fillings and toppings as well as shapes and sizes to choose from, which can make the...
- How to Cook White and Brown Rice in the Microwave
Rice cooked in the microwave may not be any quicker than cooking rice conventionally, but using this method means less messy saucepans to wash up! It also gives you separate fluffy grains every time, whether...
More by this Author
Shows how to make choux pastry eclairs. Contains recipes for making chocolate, coffee, mocha, raspberry and strawberry fillings and icings for eclairs.
Step-by-step directions for how to make choux pastry and shape it into eclairs or puffs. Pictures and a video help to illustrate each stage of the process.
A collection of easy recipes for homemade face masks made from everyday foods that can be found in any kitchen.