Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
Well Worth The Effort
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls With An Italian Zucchini Boat
I created this dish to reduce the large amount of zucchini I currently have on hand from a plentiful garden bounty this year. It takes some time to make, but it was well worth the time and effort that was put into this dish. I served this with some garlic bread sticks and freshly made cole slaw.
So What Do You Think?
Cook Time For Zucchini Boat and Lasagna Rolls
- Heat 2 quarts of water to boiling and add 9 pieces of lasagna noodles and a tsp of salt. Cook for 12 minutes and when the noodles are soft, drain the hot water and replace with cold water. Leave noodles in cold water until ready to use so they do not stick together and fall apart.
- While the lasagna noodles are cooking, brown the Ground Beef for about 6 minutes, drain grease and then add half a bottle of tomato sauce and sugar to the ground beef and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Adding the sauce to the beef flavors the beef by cooking the sauce into it and darkens the color a bit.
- Next wash zuchinni under cold water, and cut it in two along the length of the zucchini. One side needs to be larger than the other. Remove the seeds and pulp from the larger piece and lightly coat with olive oil and garlic powder. Place on a cookie sheet or baking pan and broil at 475 degrees for 15 minutes. Once the edges have lightly browned and the center has turned to a dark yellow remove the zucchini from the broiler and set oven to "Bake" at 375 degrees.
- While zucchini is broiling, take the ther half of the zucchini and cut it into four pieces. Use a potato peeler to remove the outer skin and use a knife to remove the seeds and pulp.
- Use the small hole side of a grater to grate zucchini into fine pieces. You will need one cup of grated zucchini.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add 2 eggs, garlic paste, basil, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Beat with a fork until eggs ingredients are mixed together.
- Add cup of shredded zucchini and beat with a fork until blended.
- Add ricotta and parmesan cheese and stir together until the mixture becomes a runny paste.
- Pour water from lasagna noodles, lay noodle on a flat surface and add 3 heaping fork fulls of paste to the noodle. Spread cheese paste over entire surface of the noodle and roll noodle from bottom to top.
- Pour other half of spagetti sauce from jar or can to the bottom of a 9x17 baking pan, glass or metal. Place lasagna rolls in baking pan.
- With a ladle or large spoon, pour spagetti sauce over each lasagna roll and top with a piece of Provolone cheese.
- Spoon Ground beef mixture into the broiled zucchini half and smooth it out making sure that it is evenly spread into the zucchini. Top the ground beef with the cup of Mozzerella cheese.
- Place both items in the 375 degree heated oven and bake both until the cheese is melted and lighly browned. Zucchini and beef will take about 15 minutes, the lasagna rolls will take about 25 minutes. Oven temperatures may vary so keep an eye on both to make sure they are not burning.
|Serving size: 10 Ounces|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 8 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1.5 lbs Lean Ground Beef, Ground Turkey can be used as well.
- 38 ounces Spaghetti Sauce, The chunkier the better, you will have left over sauce
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 Zucchini, The bigger the better
- 1 cup Finely Shredded Zucchini
- 9 Lasagna Noodles, It must be boiled, No-Bake Lasagna does not work.
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated works the best, powder will do the job, but tastes sour.
- 1TSP Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 2 TSP Onion Powder
- 3 TBS Basil paste
- 3 TBS Garlic paste
- 1 Cup Mozzerella Cheese
- 9 slices Provolone Cheese
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder, I just sprinkled a light coat on the zucchini from the bottle.
More by this Author
While there is no such thing as chew proof dog bed, my pair of Kuranda dog beds have come as close as a product can get to being chew resistant even with the most aggressive chewers.
While Wal-Mart is proud of its hiring practices for individuals with disabilities, it is less than honorable in its practice of hiring and firing of persons with physical limitations of persons that do not meet the...
Choosing to participate in the Progressive Snap-Shot program helped to reduce the cost of my auto insurance. The Snap-Shot program has reduced the cost of insurance for our vehicles by 23% for all of our vehicles. Be...