Partially hydrogenated oils

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Metabolic Poisons:
    What's Wrong with Partially Hydrogenated Oils?

Hydrogenation is the process of heating an oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. The fatty acids in the oil then acquire some of the hydrogen, which makes it more dense. If you fully hydrogenate, you create a solid (a fat) out of the oil. But if you stop part way, you make a semi-solid partially hydrogenated oil that has a consistency like butter, only it's a lot cheaper.

Summary
    Consuming partially hydrogenated oils is like inhaling cigarette smoke. They will kill you -- slowly, over time, but as surely as you breathe. And in the meantime, they will make you fat!

Partially Hydrogenated Oils ...Scientists and nutritionists alike label this chemically enhanced ingredient a POISON, and by true definition of the word; it is.

Hydrogenated oils

Sugar and hydrogenated oils compete for the top spot in the extremely TOXIC ingredients that are in almost all foods.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh jeez...I'm so sorry! I got serious again.....can't do that in the forum and expect responses...lost my head...:-(

2. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Partially hydrogenated oils will not only kill you in the long term by producing diseases like multiple sclerosis and allergies that lead to arthritis, but in the meantime they will make you fat!..

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutriti … dOils.html

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...everything in moderation....doesn't peanut butter have PHO?  well.....guess I'm gonna die......

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose syrup products aren't allowed in our house. They are unnecessary food additives and there are lots of healthy alternatives.

SomewayOuttaHere it is very possible to buy peanut butter without partially hydrogenated oils, usually they're labeled natural or organic.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

Iodine absorption is destroyed by unhealthy fats/fried foods. I cut out all oils except for extra virgin olive oil (I consume a LOT of it) and I totally avoid fried foods. I did this for two months, including eating organic food and guess what - my doctor was shocked that my blood tests didn't show my anemia that I've had since I was a teenager.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've actually been using Prevention's Belly Fat Diet where you eat a mono-unsaturated fat at every meal - olive oil, avocado, walnuts, peanut butter, pecans, and CHOCOLATE, combined with lots of fruits, veggies and lean meat. Does make a body feel great!

Glad your feeling better too!

1. qwark profile image60

Nelle...yer right on! PH oils are a poison! Skippy is making a p-nut butter now that is "clean."

1. Disturbia profile image61
          Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peanut butter again qwark.  I make my own peanut butter and I stay as far away from those nasty partially hydrogenated oils as possible.

1. qwark profile image60

3 cheers for "Disturbia!"

1. Disturbia profile image61
              Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

5. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

The bottom line is your body doesn't recognize molecularly altered food as a nutrient and doesn't know what to do with it.  The reason people gain weight is because the brain can't make a connection to the substance and tell the body it is satisfied in terms of nutritional needs.  People therefore have all kinds of cravings because the body's needs are never satisfied.  It's still looking for real food.

6. eventsyoudesign profile image60
    eventsyoudesignposted 13 years ago

Hydrogenated fats (also called trans-fatty acids) are manufactured fats created during a process called hydrogenation whereby hydrogen units are added to polyunsaturated fatty acids to prevent them from becoming rancid and to keep them solid at room temperature.

Your body is unable to use these unnatural fatty acids so the liver sees them as toxic waste and proceeds to detoxify and eliminate them. Trans-fatty acids are one of the most toxic wastes that can be inside your body. Trans fatty acids, also, can block your body's use of the essential fatty acids.

7. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

I know nothing of the Oil manufacturing business, and this explains a lot.

I do know  some about cigarettes, my wife worked at Philip Morris for a time.

Marlboro's are flavored with black cherry liquor, dense mocha un-cured chocolate (it says on the bags they use- "not for human consumption!") they also use a Brazilian  off brand granulated dark molasses and it is all forced into a high pressure steam nozzle at over 500 degrees to make it liquid and sprayed on Blight and Burley tobacco leaves as they pass through a tumbler’ to be mixed.

The Cocoa comes through Jamaica from South America, it is un-pasteurized,  un-cleaned and just bagged there. Comes in in bulk and is bagged up.

also the filter material is raw cotton strand, that is formed into a bale and pulled off the bale like a continuous strand, then formed  by being first  puffed open in high pressure air, then sprayed with a denatured alcohol solution, like the consistence of sticky or gooey water that is cool to the touch like rubbing alcohol. It is, then compressed it at machine speed into a filter shape through a metal cone,  a funnel like device, and cut to length.

My wife told me that when they brought the fill carts out to load the PZ (their name for that solution)  that if it spilled on the floor,  it ate the surface off the wood tile floor! And maintenance had to replace the tiles

also the menthol used in menthol cigarets is highly allergenic. She said all the Girls that worked the menthol lines, had a permanent red roseate kind of skin color on their fore arms after a full shift, and some broke out from it!

Each maintenance person had to stop at a cleaning station and clean all tools before they went to another area to work on anything.

Some quit because they could not take the itching. Company said it was their immagination!!!!!

why anyone would even think to inhale that is beyond me?

She told me people think the FDA Food folks regulate the Tobacco industry and oversee the factories that make the cigarettes‘, and that thinking is completely false.

It is the Office of  Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, Fire Arms and they only check for illegal tax stamps on the outer package for tax and export purposes, nothing else!!!!!!

They are even allowed to have rat and roach parts in the tobacco!  And sense a lot of bugs come in with the tobacco bales when they are delivered, they are allowed that also.  They claim the steam cleaning kills them, but it does not.

8. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Good thing I never started smoking neutral
    -----------------

It's hard to avoid some of these unnatural fats and oils, unless you want to do away with packaged foods altogether...actually a good idea, but not a practical one in the present day world.

In some ways it's getting harder, not easier to find natural and organic foods (depending where you live).  Growing your own fruits and veggies is not a viable option for too many people, either.

Best we can do is avoid the worst offenders, and everything else in moderation.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do know from my neighbor that the cookers at the  Frito Lay Factory use these oils for sure, because they can keep the temp constant by watching the Oil thickness and ph, and fat to liquid content, all as indicators for the chips as they float along on the flow. 

Temperature alone varies at different points in the cooker, I was told. so the Oil consistency determines a better correct temperature of the oil as it is in motion.

Regardless of the fascination of the technology, it is still not good for you at all. and this thread confirms it to me. good info in this write, well done.
      smile

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Although these types of oil were once promoted in the UK as a healthy alternative to butter, now we are told that when they are heated especially to high temperatures in cooking they are bad for the health.

I use a mono-saturate oil which in our case is olive oil most of the time. If I am baking I use the silcone liners so that the bread or baking tin does not need coating with oil. Butter is still used on toast etc.

10. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Here is an article on it, it is lengthy but you do not need to read all of it to see the important topics it covers - about fats and trans fats in the diet.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionso … transfats/

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

interesting read, thank you for the info here

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)