what causes a spike from stumbleupon?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)
  1. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I find I either get almost no traffic from SU, or hundreds of impressions in a day. Anyone know why it works this way?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

some topics are interesting to their users, some are not, some times of the day are better than others, and so on...

as it is a completely useless traffic, I don't see any reason in trying to figure out it's patterns smile

3. bgpappa profile image80
    bgpappaposted 15 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. 300 in the span of a few hours, then nothing.  Very strange, but I ain't complaining.

4. LondonGirl profile image81

fair enough. I published a hub about 2 hours ago, and it's some how acquired 300-odd stumble upon views in that time. I just wondered why!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

They liked it smile

Do you know how SU works?

6. LondonGirl profile image81

No, not really. Ignoramus Is Me.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL It is really impossible to know everything smile

In a nutshell - you install a browser toolbar that among others has a button labeled "stumble!". When in the mood, you click it, and the site presents you with the quasi-random page from the collection of user-submitted urls. You can vote it up or down or simply click the button for the next "random" page. Which exactly page depends on many factors like the history of of your voting on other pages, page popularity among other users, your stated ares of interest, etc...

The more votes a particular page gets, the higher the odds it will be picked from the heap for the next stumbler.

So, if you manage to write something that interest an average stumbler, you are likely to get thousands and thousands of views. They almost never click on ads, so this traffic does not have any monetary value. Yet you get a free link from stumbleupon.com for every vote, because it gets recorded on stumbler profile - so it has some SEO value. smile

8. LondonGirl profile image81

So 300-odd sudden stumbles isn't a bad thing for ranking your hub in search engines?

Thanks for the explanation!

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You are welcome smile

No it is definitely not a bad thing. Yet the value of 1000 links from the same site is hardly higher than the value of 5 links, and your effort will be spend more efficiently elsewhere smile

10. LondonGirl profile image81

Ah, but I spent precisely zero effort on it, I didn't add it to the site myself, so any gain is free!

Thanks for the explanations, they made sense even to an idiot like me.

11. bgpappa profile image80
    bgpappaposted 15 years ago

thanks for the explanation.  I found someone posted one of my hubs on their stumble site.  Must have been where it came from

12. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Stumble upon traffic has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages - Loads of traffic not only helps your hub score, but it also helps your ego. If you get stumbled and have loads of traffic, it'll make you more positive about writing more articles. You almost get a rush off it. I've found recently that if I publish an article and don't get a traffic spike, I get a little withdrawn. But even that is good, because it pushes me to writing a new, better hub.

Disadvantages - Adsense. Simple, social network traffic, weather stumble, digg, reddit etc etc, the traffic is not ad click happy. This means you end up with very low click rate, and clicks. At the moment, I'm just hanging on to $1/1000 impressions (it's at $1.01)

To give you an idea of stumble upon traffic:-

stumbleupon.com    88318
    hubpages.com            3565
    ehowa.com        3370

My top 3 traffic sources. See the size of the difference?!

Don't rely on your traffic from social networks either, because it can die just as quickly as it can appear!

Does make your analytics chart look funny though!

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/unklejoe/anastumble.jpg

Can you guess when I got stumbled?

13. LondonGirl profile image81

Wow, you've certainly got the SU thing sorted!

Do you know why it comes in such sudden and short-lived spikes?

1. WHoArtNow profile image82
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say I've got it sorted London Girl, I'd say I've been lucky! The first big spike lead to 80,000pv in less than 3 weeks. That's what happens when you make it to the front page pf stumble upon.

Basically, the more popular your stumble, the more people see it on the site and when stumbling, so it gets even more popular, similar to digg. The little stars next to the title show how popular it's been. 5 obviously being the best.

Experiment, and make friends/subscribe to other people's threads.

http://whoartnow.stumbleupon.com/

If people subscribe to me, I'll do likewise.

14. LelahKimball profile image79
    LelahKimballposted 15 years ago

Wow.  Good explanations.  That is the first time I actually totally understood Stumble Upon as a content producer.  Thank you.

Now, tell me how to get people to click those little ads. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)