The non-mystery of consciousness

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

References for those unfamiliar with the babbling about this:

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/554- … sciousness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_the_Mind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

There is no mystery.  Our brains are just chemical and electrical machines that weigh inputs and reach decisions. Although obviously more complex, they are no different in this regard than mechanical logic gates - http://goldfish.ikaruga.co.uk/logic.html

I truly get disgusted by those who think there is anything "emergent", unless they also think that a spreadsheet program is "emergent" from the logic circuits of a computer.

I see no mysteries.  Your sense of "I" is nothing more than echoes and feedback as the various parts of your brain do their job. You hear yourself think - so what?  A computer debugger "hears" another program at work.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Also, please realize that I could have written that wikipedia page to make fun of you. You can't even use wiki for research in highschool. get a better source.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who dies ... the "I" ... or the body, containing an Awareness, calling itself Pcunix ... ?

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All of them.

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who lives, and dies ... The "I" ... or a Pcunix ... hiding behind what in all probability is a John ...

Mind, Transcends both, Matter and Idea ...  Mind is a Gift of God to His Created ... Humans... without a Mind, we would not be able to Reconcile the Existent, to Reality ...

... sans Mind, we are Dead; with Mind, we Live.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Scientists always try to describe religion with science. If it exists it would be other dimensional.

I don't know that there is always religion behind it, but the babble is similar: qualia and all that rot.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another truly excellent word. Thank you, Pcunix. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia

A word only used by fools, I think.

Any time you have to make up a new word and it takes more than a sentence to say why, I call b.s..

Quail is b.s.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
            paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Daniel Dennett coined the terms qualophiles for philosophers who believe in qualia; and qualophobes for those who don't."

I wonder which one you are... smile

A realist. Somebody a lot smarter than anyone who thinks there is any mystery.

Reality is your creation.

SO you're right. There is no mystery in your reality. Because even when you are presented with an intriguing aspect of reality, your mind mechanizes into thinking it is a mere mechanism, which it could be, except that we have not as yet been able to recreate it.

We don't know where qualia comes from or the source of the universe. That is why we persist in studying the brain and the universe. If we have figured it out, we would be tinkering with creating little laboratory universes and we will be making androids who can argue with us here in the forum.

Is that our reality right now? Do you have a baby universe in your living room? Or a pet artificial brain? No? well, you figured it out. Make one.

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

Qualia-Umami. Extra words that popped up after the age of reasoning and the modern philosophies that followed. Extra words to describe those aspects of mind that don't lend themselves to being explained through traditional scientific and philosophic modes of investigation.

Umami is on its way to having a rational explanation in line with physiology and chemistry.

Qualia is more elusive and thus is pondered in philosophical terms.

So long as humans contemplate the meaning of consciousness, they'll remain somewhat humble, knowing that there's something they don't know and can't explain. This humility may be what keeps us from annihilating ourselves.

What humility is needed to understand that your mind is just a machine?

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just humility. There is no special kind. I don't know everything. If I did, I'd be God (or whatever manifestation anyone subscribes to...the essence that is bigger than that which can be comprehended by the mind). Are you?

By your reasoning, apparently so.

2. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix - you might be right, you might be wrong. I feel more comfortable believing that this 'I' that I feel is eternal and very spiritual. What I like to believe could be a load of poppycock, I know, but I have to believe in something now I don't believe in Father Christmas and the Toothe Fairies etc. anymore.

3. Polly C profile image91
        Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think human consciousness leaves a lot unexplained. I personally knew someone who had many insights about people, some who she knew (like me) and some she had not even met. Also, she has described the physcial appearance of a building she had never ever seen simply by holding a piece of stone from the building in her hand (and it was not an ordinary looking building, nor was it local). I don't know how this can be  explained just by the 'mind is a machine' theory. because even if the mind is simply a machine, it must be a lot more complicated than many scientists seem to believe.

If she actually could do that, she could collect prizes that are offered for such.

But she cannot, so she will not. All bunk.

4. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with PCunix. Consciousness is only the results of biochemical reactions in our brain and religion has nothing to do with it. This is why doctors decide death by the cessation of all brain activities, electrical and chemical.  Consciousness cease to exist after death.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

If qualia exists, then animals have it as well as humans.

e.g.

I have seen chipmunks do double takes.

And

Dogs look nonplussed.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

It should be noted for this discussion that the professional philosophers, themselves, can’t figure out the definition for qualia. smile

6. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

PC, you really have to update your reading list. You are obviously able to understand complex data, but your understanding will be limited if you do not increase your knowledge in mainstream science. Please, stop insisting on 1970s thinking, the world already changed.

A researcher using computers to recreate the brain.

"99% of what you see does not come from the eyes but what I infer from it"

For the Nth time...Markham on the bluebrain project:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3wMC2BpxU

ON seeing color/reality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5otGNb … ure=relmfu

"context is everything" meaning reality is not absolute, it is inferred depending on ability to perceive.

That has nothing to do with this. As usual, you have no idea what is being discussed.

That has everything to do with this. It demonstrates how your consciousness infers what reality is. See, pointless. You don't see the connections. Even when they are plainly stated. They are making artificial intelligence based on the very premise you are refusing because as of yet WE don't know where qualia comes from.

Those two clips clearly show that your reality is based on a very UNIX based system. Expand. Learn more so you can participate in the discussion of what's out there now, what possibilities they imply, instead of dismissing new knowledge to protect your worldview.

There is no such thing as qualia.

lol no such thing as pain, seeing a rose etc?  that is qualia, the experience of being conscious. that doesn't exist? you don't feel annoyed by me? that is qualia too. I guess you really are wired differently. lol

I am hardly the only person who denies this nonsense.

So, yes, Cecilia, some of us are wired differently. We are the smarter ones who know that human brains are just biological machines and nothing more.

1. CMHypno profile image82
                CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix, you are welcome to believe that you are nothing more than an insentient biological machine, but this continual riducule of anyone who has any form of spiritual belief or sense of the numinous in their lives is getting tedious.  As is your repeated assertions that we are stupid, fools and I think that one of your posts even said that the way we think 'disgusts you'.

I have to question why you are so determined to always be right, to be seen as more intelligent and generally superior to the bulk of humanity? Why can't you just live and let live, and maybe even accept that you still have a lot to learn about life, as we all do? There is a big difference between debate and exchanging ideas, and insisting that others think exactly the way that you do and branding them as idiots if they dare to disagree

I have never said that theists are "stupid". 

As to the rest, yes, I have no respect for religious thought or belief and I AM right about religion and this.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Reality exists free of thoughts, desires, will or wishes. Reality exists and is all knowable knowledge available. Reality only changes based on creation of new things, discoveries such as new knowledge to be added or in cures for diseases.

Example: Presently, in reality, there isn't a cure for cancer. However, as medical science continues to explore reality for answers and finds them, then cures become part of reality.

When you use the word in context- as "You create your own reality"? Which is untrue. You in fact create your own situation or circumstance within the confines of your learned ability. Reality doesn't change, unless the individual actually creates new things, which come into existence, as an object. Other than that, an individual's thoughts(including perception) has nothing to do with reality.

We are talking about reality as in what the senses perceives. But if you want to talk about reality in terms of there is no cure for cancer. The reality is there are many ways that are being explored to cure cancer, but one that you can bottle and make available at reasonable costs is the real pursuit. Plus, different levels of cancer are cured differently.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/0 … er-corner/

Reality changes based on what you know. So in reality YOU DON'T KNOW if there is a cure for cancer or not. But you infer from what you know to construct what you describe as reality.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

lol yes, you are funny.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61

I'll add:

You can ignore reality, but reality won’t ignore you.

9. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

I agree with an objective reality.

10. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

In the words of Leonard Susskind in a recent BBC documentary; "If you think you understand reality, then you don't. Nobody does."

Do we live inside of a hologram, probably. Are we in just one of an infinite number of parallel universes, quite possibly. Are we existing inside of a simulation, why not?

Anyone interested in the afore mentioned documentary - and it really is brilliant - can find it below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Z8CqAiYI8

1. fatfist profile image69
      fatfistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a nice Primate Religion you got there, superwags. You can explain everything by "nothing", "delusion", "non-understanding" and "self-creation".
      Your partners-in-crime, The Christians, can explain everything by God! They've got more brains than you.

1. superwags profile image66
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh God it's you again. Unlike someone religious I left open the possibility of there being lots of different answers to our take on reality. I didn't state anything.

Unlike you, I seem to remember. If I remember rightly, you were denying that the big bang ever happened the last time we spoke. Terrifying.

Even that last post there had absolutely no semblance of a point to it.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

lol you can send them links from BBC, scientists in the forefront of study, and you know what...none of that will sink in.

these are not arguments, these are people who like to protect a worldview. They are not interested in learning, discussing or understanding. They are interested in battling their own shadows. But they are great platforms to talk about things that are already out there. SO that people who ARE interested in exploring these new topics will see them. There are many lurkers, people who read but do not participate and it is for these people's sake that I bother to send links.

Sure, Cecilia: it's the lurkers who support you.  It must be, because no one else does.

Tell us again about how integers don't exist and about sentient rocks. I never tire of hearing you explain these things.

and tell me again how you've proven gods don't exist but lets not measure what sentience is or define it.

You can take me out of context and twist my words around but lets not forget who is deluded enough to think he has cracked the mystery of consciousness and reality.

why don't you go publish that theory somewhere get it peer reviewed by your fellow UNIX users and atheists. write a book about it, make millions, get a noble prize. It's such a big achievement!

11. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

Consciousness and reality are basically the same thing. What we perceive through our five senses is our reality or consciousness. Both our perception of reality and our consciousness can be altered by losing one or two of your senses or by drug induced methods.

absolutely.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)