will france enforce a no fly zone in america?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (42 posts)
  1. stclairjack profile image76
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

disclaimer; .......this, my friends, is sarcasim,.... dont freek out,.... it just popped into my head and i thought i would share... laugh with me,... dont start screaming! ha!

the 24 hour news cycle is filled stories of economic hardship, and the depraved indifference of the leaders of countries such as lybia, egypt,... etc,... and when the egpytians demonstrate in the streets in defiance of an opressive government, the world hialed them as "smart, in touch, and brave",..... when rebels in lybia took up an armed revolt against thier brutal government, and were smacked down by thier own millitary, they found the world crying for a no-fly zone, that soon included the bombing of many millitary targets in the country, allowing the rebels to advance farther than they might have dreamed.

my question is this,...... if we in america feel as if our government is indiffernt to our economic suffering,.... if we feel that our personal liberties have been opressed because our faith is targeted,.... if we feel as if our very way of life is being destroyed by an opressive government,...

if we take up arms to take back our collective destiny,.... will the UN impose a no-fly zone? and will france bomb the US milltary to aid us brave rebels in our fight for freedom????

disclaimer; i do not advocate an armed revolt, i do not own an arsenal, i do not have a personal bunker nor a bunker mentality,... it was just a random thought.

enjoy and join in.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WE have to be kind to France , they helped us ffight off the British in the very beginning.  But I'm afraid Frances military might iis probably going to be about as effective as the Rhode Island state police in enforcing  a nationwide strategy of no fly zone.    Seriously I have thought long about the chance of an armed revolution in America  , this would be the end of all world peace as we kow it.  Who would join which side???  The end of the ending!

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Don't you think you flatter yourselves a bit?
        It could well be the beginning of world peace.

2. stclairjack profile image76
        stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree, dont think france could pull it off in even a fraction of the sence,.... but i'm not sure there is a nation on earth that could,... your right,... the US is the only nation on earth capable,.... but i wonder,... if one of the other UN neations were capable,... would they?

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we went to war with the French, They would probably run away screaming like the big bunch of scared little wussies they are before the first shot was fired, And then they would ask some other country to take over for their part of the fighting.

“I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.” -Patton

love the patton quote

3. AnnCee profile image68
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well they do have the prettiest planes at the air show.

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contests/idioms/fullsize/idioms_4c04342ed9ad2.jpg  big_smile

lol

2. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

I’M not sure the French have big enough rubber bands to Fly over here to enforce it, and I know the UN doesn’t have enough twist ties or duct tape to cobble together anything without the US providing them. So I think if anyone rebels here and relies on them for support they’re all pretty much screwed.

yup, you got it. but if the us sudenly had a home grown and popular (meaning well covered by CNN and MSNBC) armed revolt,... what do you think the rest of the world would do?

Say "thank goodness, at least something decent to watch on the telly tonight instead of the usual American junk" lol

lol

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that this will probably go over your head, but the UN are not a military organisation.

The are also voluntarily funded by their 192 members. When calculated on a per capita basis, those from the UK, Germany, Japan, France, Canada and Italy contributed at least as much as the US.

In fact, per capita, the UK contributed more than the US in 2011. So, time for you lot to cough up hey?

Perhaps what you really meant to refer to is the European Union? Of course, the total military budget of the US is over 50% higher than the whole of the EU. The US spends £685bn a year on its military, the EU spends $407bn, 2010 budget figures (of course you actually spend more)

The major difference being that the EU spends 1.63% of total GDP on military expenditure, the US spent approximately 5% of its GDP on military expenditure last year.

You all dismiss Europe as a trivial force, and fear China and Russia, yet the French and British alone spend more than China, whilst both of those countries each spend more than Russia alone.

France and the UK both possess more nuclear weapons than China (declared at least).

The real world force is the European Union, at least it could be if the leaders share that vision. It makes me laugh though, because somebody will probably dismiss the EU as debt ridden now, apparently oblivious to the fact the US is flat broke.... and is flat broke because of its military expenditure. Worse than the EU, significantly worse in fact.

What would happen if a world war did break out? Would the EU member states be spending just 1.8% of GDP on their military? I doubt it. Would the US extend past 5% of theirs? Probably, but it would ruin you.

And most importantly, if this hypothetical war did occur (albeit, you would be on the side of the EU, because you would no doubt NEED our help), would the US regret years of waste, years of pointless military expenditure, years of pointless debt? Who would you borrow from to fund your military? At the moment you have maxed out your Chinese credit card. They have you just where they want you, the ability to stop your credit line at any time. Where do you borrow from then? In a war scenario, in which case the Chinese probably wouldn't be on your side? There is no other economy that could afford to lend on the scale that you borrow. Not even the EU. Maybe we could lend you some fighter jets though, hey?

Or do you still dismiss the French? Despite them having more power than the Chinese? And the British? Despite them both individually having more power than the Chinese? And the two combined (they are our closest allies now, by the way, we share technology with them - including nuclear, a clear move to end any reliance that we may have had on the US) spending far more than Russia?

America needs allies irrespective of how broke it gets buying stealth planes, you should show them more respect. Because if you did ever have a war with Russia, or China, or perhaps even both, you would need us.

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You British are so sensitive. I post a joke response to the OP and you take it serious.

We’re laughing at all of you.

You guys are not worth the time or the effort, as minute as it would be to dispatch your pompous condescending response.

And Ryankett you are so far below my radar you couldn’t get anything over the toe of my boot.

3. Midnight Oil profile image83
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

French red tape cannot reach that far !!

4. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Sit back and watch or hide in their caves wondering what was gonna happen next.

They better hope when its all over I'm not elected CNIC cause there will be some pretty audacious attitude adjustments here at home and abroad. I can also predict there are a few places in the world could very easily experience a few days 3000 degree heatwave

Well then, we'd best hope that come the revolution you're one of the first up against the wall and shot lol

LOL Typical European snobbery and false bravado. Who are you going to get to fight your battles?

Better bring loads of help and very large supply of Body Bags. I don’t plan to go quietly, neither do the rest of us. You’ll know it’s me when you hear all the gunfire and see the bodies start dropping around you.

But why should I see any body's dropping around me?
          I'll be sitting safely at home in the UK whilst you do your terminator routine thousands of miles away in the US!

No time for you to take your war abroad any more.

And don't forget, you'll have to do it without our soldiers to hold your hand lol

Ah but you forget the attitude adjustments, all you liberal loving Europeans will be first. So cower in your flat.

You also incorrectly assume the US military will follow the politicians. They are all sworn to protect the people of the United States and the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. Then there is a little matter of Posse Comitatus and the fact that more than 76% of the military as whole and 93% of our officer corps are conservatives. You had better believe that any liberal administration that attempted to order the military to intervene would be considered a domestic threat.

And “Your soldiers?” What all seven of them? You Europeans have steadily decreased the sizes of your militaries for decades, counting on the USA to save your bacon.  All we have to do is open the door at the old folks home to kick the crap out of them.

But then again by the time you Europeans get over arguing amongst yourselves and decide who will actually show up to fight, the battle will be over and I will be CNIC. LOL

1. superwags profile image66
              superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah America has a real habit of being timely for wars. Late for the last couple of global ones though, eh?

The military budgets of the UK and France are the 3rd and 4th in the world respectively. There's just noone else crackers enough to spend as much as the US.

2. John Holden profile image61

First for what? Revolutions are fought on your home turf! No need to cower in my flat and no need for massive detours because your lily livered soldiers have dug up all our roads to prevent invading aircraft from attacking them!

I haven't assumed anything, especially not that your soldiers will follow the politicians, they'll just follow whoever shouts the loudest.

We might be down to seven soldiers but first of all, they wouldn't be involved this time and secondly one British soldier is worth 1000 US soldiers. You'd not find any soldiers in our old folks homes, in fact you wouldn't find anybody, the conservatives have closed them all.

And what on earth makes you think any body from Europe would want to show up and enter your internecine battles?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"We might be down to seven soldiers but first of all, they wouldn't be involved this time and secondly one British soldier is worth 1000 US soldiers."

Yep, you sure proved that both times our "soldiers" whooped you.

Oh wait, our "soldiers" were armed civilians.

2. readytoescape profile image60

And thank you John! That’s just that type of liberal endorsement I want.

Perhaps I shall announce my candidacy.

5. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

It would make the news a bit more interesting for a while. The French don't do decisive military action:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

Links broken Superwags.

1. superwags profile image66
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, that's the joke...

[blush]

6. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

That's an interesting question because I always wondered what would happen if Russia and/or China suddenly decided that their "American worker brothers and sisters" needed to be liberated from the Government.

7. stclairjack profile image76
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i guess what i was trying to get at and possibly failed at,(lets be honest, i fail to communicate myself well at times)was the notion that we are justifying this little explosive trist in lybia on human rights violations, calling it a "human rights dissaster",...

i live in rural america,... we are un-employed with no hope of the jobs that we lost ever returning, i just sat through a burocrats hour long blah blah blah this last friday telling us how the division of work force developement can retrain us so that we have the skills to compeet in todays job market,... he then proceeded to tell us the requirements of employers these days include computer skills, (duh damnit!) reliable transportation (no,.... realy?) and,.... wait for it,.... showing up to work on time!

that brought the silence to the chamber of comerce luncheon.

are you kidding? he thinks my dumb hillbilly arse needs to be told that? at what point in the last 100 years was showing up on time optional?????? hell, even bob cratchet got his arse chewed out for being late and mr scroodge wasnt a 21st century employer!

maybe this burocratic parasite has a class i can take to teach my ingnorant inbred hillbilly arse to tell time, then i can get a free government wrist watch if i'm poor and cant afford one.

then this smug little jackass informed us that there are signs in the dakotas stating that wendys is hiring with a starting wage of 15$ an hour,.... so the entire population of my county needs to pick up and move to pier south dakota so we can flip burgers at wendys?

would you believe that this comfortable little pencil pusher then felt it neccesary to tell us that we are the poorest county in missouri,.... thanks,.... that littele fact had slipped by us,.... NOT!

that was my point,..... some americans feel like a real human rights dissaster is happening right here and right now,... were spending millions in this country to get nativity scenes off of the courthouse lawn,.... and billions to protect the human rights of lybians,.... all i want is jobs for me and my nighbors,...

too much?

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

The OP points up a real issue.  In changing the way that International rules are applied to allow blatant interference in the internal affairs of other countries - opens the door for the same re-actions in the future.

In the possible future next 'great' depression, will all those right wing loonies start an internal fight big - and will other nations 'interfere' to ensure your government gets toppled ?

In a declining economy the vast US war machine has to be brought home and disbanded one day. The rest of the world is either economically 'improving' or banding together - so this is not an impossible scenario. 

What goes around comes around and International laws should not be disrespected and reduced in the way they are currently being cynically ignored.

thanks for understanding me despite my inability to make myself understood at times.

yes, thats what i am getting at,... our government would like to convince the world that they care about freedom and human rights, but what they realy want is energy and status quo,... if lybia did not sit on an oil reserve, this uprising and brutal smack down would not have made page 5 of section D of the village wipe,.... let alone recieved intervention from the UN. it would have gone un noticed just as other far more brutal situations go virtualy un covered by our 24-7 news cycle.

and it does set a very real and dangerous precedent,..... if a few (there are only about 6 million in lybia total) can revolt against a government they percive as opressive and counter productive to their best interest,.... then who's next?

we were shocked by egypt, we are shocked as we watch the whole mid-east erupt in revelution of one sort or another, frome one location to another,... but as this "take it back" attitude sweeps nations, it can and will sweep the world,... behold the power of the information age.

we're next, its just a matter of when and in what form,.... and since america seems to love all things in extreems rather than in moderation, as evidenced by the ever growing collective waistline,.... its going to be creatovely horrific.... but instead of killing our selves with fast food and cable tv,.... we will reap the worst reward of being the most well armed citizenry in the world.... not because the average citizen will sudenly decide to go a murdering about the town,.... but because a government keenly aware of the gun ownership rate and americans tough fighting nature will strike swiftly and with great force to try and stave off the inevitable anarchy that will follow.

wow,..... i just re-read this and realized i need to put down the kool-aid and take a deep breath,....

but i'll post it anyway,....wtf

9. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

VERY interesting proposition.
    If the USA suddenly became next on the "fredom revolution" bandwagon (didn't we already do this, once against England and once North against South?) who would rush to our defense?
    And which side would they defend?
    I suspect most countries would rush to defend our government, not the rebel protesters.

What would the French contribute?
    How about some Freedom fries? lol

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think too many people would rush to your defence. The Russians and Chinese would work out what corporations and assets they could strip.

The British and French would be the only considerable military forces willing to protect your interests globally, and as such you should show them much more respect than you do.

These are supposed to be allies of America. The British are dying alongside American troops in Afghanistan.

The French government didn't go into war in Iraq because their people didn't support it. I happen to respect that 100%, because the British people didn't want it either, but we weren't listened to.

If you ask me the French people are very lucky to live in a true democracy, and they haven't seen their sons return in coffins as a result.

theres not enough kool-aid to make me argue you with you,..... your right.

2. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree 100%.
        "Freedom fries" was a dig at Americans' response to France not joining the Iraq WMD/let's take out Sadam crusade (hope you knew that).

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
          Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Agree 100%."

Of course you agree.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
            Mighty Momposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's not to agree?
            Don't tell me you STILL think Bush and Blair made the right call on Iraq?
            Oh nevermind. Of course you do.
            Well, well, well.
            Now that I've been predictable to you, Jim, I don't have to wait for your predictable response.
            Nighty night. smile

10. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

The Germans are staying out of the whole Libya thing.  They're busy preparing to accept France's surrender.

lol!!!!!

11. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

Seriously though, if it's allowed on this thread:
    If the American people stopped blaming each other and came together in a Tunisian/Egyptian style peaceful mass protest against the ravages being done to you all by Big Money, you'd find you'd have huge global support.
    But no, it seems you'd rather crack heads together at ground level than face up to your real shared problems. Pity smile

self pity and victimhood are the death knell of america,.... i agree with you compleetly,....100%

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)