Successful hub 75,000 views (how to repeat)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image80
    David 470posted 12 years ago

I made a video game hub that I published in early December 2010. This hub went viral (to an extent). It started to receive 1000 views a day. The views would change a bit between 650-1000, but 1000 was the peak.

Even once the Google Panda came in Feb., it still got 100+ views. Today, it is receiving 200+. View duration is 5/5. Incoming links is 2/5.

Honestly, I have no idea how this hub had this much success. It was about 700 words and was basically a list of items for a game & some tips etc...I also only had 7 tags in it, which were fairly general -- not to specific.

If I could make more hubs like this, I would accelerate my views/income significantly. 

What is the best strategy for making hubs that can make at least 100 views a day consistently? Perhaps it was the keywords used in the article that are relevant to the game. Or maybe it was the ranking that it received.

I look forward to any hubber sharing your thoughts and strategies. Maybe together, we can figure how to make hubs succeed smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got one hub like that David too, and its only because some TV producer in the States linked to it (in its first week after publishing) and gave it some hefty high PR backlinks.

The secret is to use keywords that have high search and low competition (although mine wasn't, I just got lucky with it being high search/high competition and an accidental quality backlink or 2).

Micro-Niche Finder or Market Samurai is a must if you are serious about making money online.

Have you got either of them David?

I've got MS and if you want I can check out your hub for you and send you the results for more ideas. Email me if you are interested - and I won't steal your kws. I know nothing about gaming and have no interest either.

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I do not have either of them. Do they cost?

I believe all the hubbers who earn really well here ($400/monthly+), or perhaps other places too, make hubs/articles that get those 100-1000 views per day. Surely, they may have ones that make much less, but it would not take nearly as many published articles/hubs to get 1000s of views overall.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Some of the highest earners here on HP also spend half their lives backlinking their hubs, especially those that show promise.

Well maybe not half their lives, but you don't get 1000s of backlinks without some serious effort.

MS has a free trial version. That is why I got it, but found it well worth paying for, and you have to buy within their time limit because they leave files behind somewhere so that you can't get a second free trial, and their offer price during the free trial is a lot cheaper than it would be otherwise.

MNF is brilliant according to those who bought it, but without a free trial I chose not to risk it.

Both MS and MNF are programs to help you find good keywords, and let you have a good look at the competition you face - including viewing their backlinks.

Some websites have 1000s of backlinks, high PR backlinks, and cannot be beaten. Nice to know before you try.

If you have just one hub that is on a highly searched topic with high paying keywords, and you write it well, with backlinking your hub can make it to the top.

Course that goes for everything online, every blog and website has much the same opportunity.
          HP used to also have authority which meant that a well-written hub automatically did well, and did even better with a backlinking strategy in place.

In effect, your hub could make it to the top with the minimum of effort.

Well-written or not, it could get up there. The goalposts have moved and HP is trying to improve the content of the site as a way to get their authority back.

1000 visits a day on a single hub might seem a lot to you and me, but some of these high earners here were getting 1000s of hits a day on just one hub - maybe 10 or 20,000 or perhaps more.

Backlinking is the key, but I have still to look at puting a serious effort into that, instead of just shoving links on to the likes of shetoldme or reddit.

I remember one hubber saying he had a hub that got 10,000 views a day. However, he was not earning much from it or something.

As for backlinking, I did some backlinking, but stopped doing it last year. Some hubbers abide by it, while others focus on SEO itself.

Ironically, the hub I wrote, IMO, was pretty simple. I mean, it provided good information for the game, but was simple to write.

The hub also has almost 200 comments and someone must be backlinking it. smile

Do comments have anything do with SEO? Because people were commenting with keywords I used.

I had  multiple other hubs get hundreds of views a day, but the Google Panda put a stop to that. They still get views, but not like they were.

If HubPages can gain better rank again that would be great smile

1. Iontach profile image67
              Iontachposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrads on your success! Yea I believe comments people leave on your page connect with SEO. On one of my pages a person left a portuguese word in a comment and a day later I suddenly began getting views from Brazil. I never once got views from Brazil until this. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes the comments count towards SEO so its good if people use your keywords when commenting.

I have seen, similarly, Google search picking up keywords in comments. That is why it is important to not allow spam comments or comments that talk about something else entirely - if search sees them then so does adsense.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Very interesting discussion.  Regarding the comments, I read one hubber saying that people adding comments can also keep the Google algo "thinking" that the hub is being updated and that can also help to give it boosts in the rankings.  Sounds feasible.  I've never really taken comments seriously in terms of SEO until now.

3. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

I agree with Izzy. Market Samurai is the bees knees and the cats pyjamas! smile

4. David 470 profile image80
    David 470posted 12 years ago

Well, it looks like I will be adding a comments sections again to some of my hubs. Recently, I have not been adding comment capsules to any hubs.

Some people leave super long comments on my hubs.

I will just have to watch out for spam!!

5. smanty profile image58
    smantyposted 12 years ago

Great discussion here! I have yet to create a hub that receives even 50 views a day, but that may be because I have only written about 19 hubs smile

I decided to reply because you had said your hub was about a video game. I have currently been writing hubs about running techniques, but I want to begin writing about video games also. I was curious as to how hubs about video games compare in traffic to other hubs. Would it be worth the work to write some top 10 tips or "how to" guides for video games?

Thanks!

1. IzzyM profile image87

I have never written a hub about video games simply because it's an area I know nothing about. But I really believe they may be among the most searched for terms online. So go for it!

1. smanty profile image58
        smantyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? Hmm, that sounds awesome! I could probably grind out a hub on a video game that I know well in about an hour. Thanks for the feedback!

Videogames are very popular, but you have to write about things people are searching for. Unknown videogames may not get that much traffic.

I have gotten a lot of traffic on my gaming hubs, however, some did not do nearly as well as others.

Generally, you need to write about something that is difficult to do in a game. For instance, maybe there is a boss fight or a secret item in the game that may be highly searched.

Top tens may work, but I don't think it will work as well as writing about a popular game and more specifically "something confusing/difficult" to do within it.

Also, reviewing games may not be the best way to get traffic. This is very common & there are always companies like IGN & gamespot making video reviews of them.

6. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

I have just published the Hub below it is research on social networking as an e-marketing concept, it may help smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Business-Plan-InfoHub

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I would suggest writing a spin-off article related to your existing popular hub. Just a thought. smile Congrats!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)