Tattoos: What are the meaning behind some of your tattoos?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (54 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image68
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Tattoos are increasing in popularity.  Some people have tattoos simply to have a tattoo, but other people have tattoos that have meaning to them.  I am interested hearing from people who have tattoos with meaning and what those meanings may be.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/62614_f520.jpg

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

I guess I should give credit where credit is due. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/386

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Not aiming at anyone here, but I think tattoos are the most stupid fad to be invented. They are there for LIFE, just like a puppy. Yet people still throw puppies out on the street after Christmas.
    You can't throw your tattoo out when you either get fed up with it, or move on in your life.
    It is an expensive operation to remove a tattoo.
    If you have to have one, have it done on your bum or at least your back. Then you won't need to look at it.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, Izzy. I have three, all done in my teens and I regret them so much. Particularly the Glasgow Rangers one which goes from my elbow to my wrist on my right forearm. I'm sure you can imagine the trouble that has caused me over the years (in Scotland and beyond) and why I continue to wear long sleeved shirts in the hottest of weather...

I always give anyone contemplating a tattoo the same advice - don't do it!

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank God there is someone else here with some common sense, though I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way Gordon.
        I have a vague recollection of trying to tattoo my knuckles in my early teenage years (before tattoo parlours were invented) with a needle and some ink.
        Thankfully it didn't take!

Then I grew up.

Glad that never worked, Izzy!

Every time I talk a person out of getting one of those things on their body, I consider it a victory.

Hope that at least one person listens here...

Remember everyone, a tattoo is for life and not just for Christmas...!!!

1. IzzyM profile image86

We have some on here who plan on never growing old!! (or up)

I guide you to this thread - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/82024?

Bookmarked - I promise! Getting picked up in less than 3 hours to go fishing and definitely want a couple of hours kip. Haven't even made my pieces yet! smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh you need to make your pieces up. You do know that not a soul will have any idea what you mean! Good luck at the fishing, catch plenty smile

1. davenmidtown profile image68
                  davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have tattoos.  I waited until I was 40 to get them.  I got them for me though... not the world.  They are on my right arm.  One is a memory of my father who is now dead.  It is on my wrist where I can see it.  One is of a clipper ship which very few people will ever see.  Its on the top of my bicep.  Another is a mermaid and she sits on my forearm where I can keep an eye on her.  The last is a hammer head shark which hides under my sleeve.  The mermaid is the symbol of temptation and the shark the symbol of strength.  Every year it seems we bury one of my cousins or an uncle or aunt.  My family is full of heroin addicts.  That would be the mermaid.  The shark opposes her.  Since I may be the only person in my family who does not drink alcohol or has never done drugs or even smoked a cigarette... I keep my tattoos as a reminder that this lot is never worth it.

2. mr-burns profile image59
      mr-burnsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True but they do mean something to someone. If they want it for life then let them

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

in many cases I'm sure.
      but getting something basic and neutral like my thorny rose is something that will never get boring...

5. davenmidtown profile image68
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

:-)  That might get you hub of the day! hahahaha

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Long Live Tramp Stamps!!! lol

7. NorthwestPow profile image60
    NorthwestPowposted 12 years ago

I have a tattoo on the bottom side of my foot that says 'Attach Ski Here'. One day my friends and I were sitting around and we decided to give ourselves tattoos using the ol stick and poke and two years later it's still pretty legible. I dig it to because no one ever notices it unless I point it out and it means something fairly special to me both because I love skiing and I did it myself..

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

I just thought I'd transfer this pic from there to here for Izzy. big_smile

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5471453_f248.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image86

That is revolting, there is no other word.

But some thought it attractive??

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if she would do it all over again.

2. davenmidtown profile image68
        davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind the tattoo's but that outfit has to go

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Come to think of it, this would be a great pic to add to my Halloween hub. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to find out if it's public domain. neutral

3. mr-burns profile image59

Wow thats gone to far! Too much of thing

9. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

I wish the anti tattoo comments would keep it at a respectable hum.  I can only assume this comes with old school ways.  No offense.  I do agree with the rash decision of running out and just planting one on your body just for the hell of it.  Though throughout history tattoos were meant to signify chain of command, marks of battle, and placement of tribal groups.

10. diydiva profile image75
    diydivaposted 12 years ago

I have several tattoos all of which I love and will always love.

1. I have a family brand on my back.  It is an actual trace of a brand (yes the ones they use on cows) that was passed from my grandfather to my brother.  He has a matching one on his leg and I love that I will forever have this connection with my brother.

2.  I have a clover on my hip with my middle name "Ica"  -- pronounced "ice uh"

3.  My right wrist is a peace sign with a Robert Frost quote- Freedom Lies in Being Bold

4.  My most recent, a heart locket on my left wrist.  My wonderful future husband has the key on his right wrist. smile

Tattoos are permanent, but maybe some people in this world need to learn to live with some things.

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love how each have a distinct story/purpose.

1. mr-burns profile image59

True, as long as the person is happy with it. Thats the main thing. Its they're body

2. diydiva profile image75
        diydivaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks jenubouka, a good friend who was a tattoo artist taught told me a good way to decide if you like a tattoo put a picture of it somewhere you'll see it a lot, for us its the computer smile if you still like it in a year you will prob. like it for many years

11. Johnjfernando profile image61
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

If you decide to have a tatoo, at least make it worth having for the rest of your life. And also make a good choice of where to get them on your body. Tatoos express freedom of art, but some people tend to abuse it and well, karma is a B****! When you go for an interview, your chances hurt more then a tatoo operation. Well maybe not, I never had one to begin with. I think a perfect exmaple of a someone overdoing tatoos on the body is 'Birdman' Chris Anderson from the Denver Nuggets. I also found out recently, an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) arrested an off duty police officer with a mistaken identity of a 'gangbanger' simpy because of a tatoo that was exposed on the side of his arm. Really guys, I think I agree with the last hubber that suggested getting a tatoo somewhere where the sun doesn't shine.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5655766_f248.jpg

12. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

I have one. I don't give a monkey's whether or not other people like them. I didn't have mine done according to the sway of public opinion.

Having a tattoo is a personal choice. If someone has one (or many) and regrets them, the fault is their own. Honestly ... there are far bigger issues in this world to worry about.

Neither do I look at another and judge them according to their appearance - whether that be a tattoo, a scar, the color of their hair, the way they dress etc etc.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I can't abide tattoos.

They bring me out in a cold sweat.

I refuse to have anything to do with the types of people that wear them, whether they are delivering my groceries, washing my car or teaching my children.

For all other types of people I am easy going - be they white, middle class or rich.

1. profile image0

That is the most closed minded thing I have seen to date.  You just illustrated yourself as a judgmental person.  Maybe you should research the history of tattoos, for the person teaching your child or touching your groceries, you have insulted their culture.  It bothers me your "other types" I just white, middle class, or rich.  It that it? Not the lower, poverty, other colors????

1. stclairjack profile image78
        stclairjackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i think you missed the sarcasim in marks post.

he was pitching satire,... swing and a miss,... nothing more

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  I won't do that again!

Actually I will.

If I explain that the whole thing was a satirical comment based on ridiculing people who make judgements about people with tattoos - then it kind of spoils it.

But that was the point.

2. Ardie profile image80
      Ardieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Mark is joking - based on what I take from his writing at HP.  However, its silly some people DO actually have that same belief.  I personally think tattoos are hot - but I dont have any...Im too much of a scaredy cat!

14. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 12 years ago

It strikes me that many people who commented here just wanted to give their (negative) opinion of tattoos, while the forum subject was specifically directed at those who actually HAVE them and had purpose in getting them. If you want to discuss the goodness/badness of tattoos, start your own forum. I don't have any myself, but I've enjoyed hearing from people (both in person and through media) the reasons it was worth it to them to change their skin forever. I respect those people, and wish some of the people replying to this post were a little more respectful toward their fellow Hubbers.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

my point exactly
      smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

I have two. One is a rose on my right ankle. simple yet nice. never to be regretted as far as I can tell.

One is on my right back shoulder...a tiny butterfly. small

I thought about a really meaningful one that was complex but I don't want any more now.

3. profile image0

Thank you for addressing the focus here.  My body, my money, my beliefs.  To illustrate one's graphic opinion of disgust about tattoos is very disrespectful, and ill sportsmanship.

15. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

tatoos are great
    if you know what you like
    and stick to a minimum...
    whatever

16. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

what the hell happened to the meaning behind tattoos?

I thought this was a serious subject?! roll

okay done

17. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I have a 15 inch snake tattoo on my penis.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

not again!.....so it ends at your adam's apple right?

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no penis have EVER gone near my Adam's apple

ha ha ha ha.....later gater

just love you two to pieces!

a prfectly anoying moment and you guys can get me giggling!

thanks.

18. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

i dont have ink, but at some point i would like to.  know what i want, drew it myself,... the problem isnt the tattoo itself, but the location in which i want it,... inside left fore-arm. this is the location that some guitar players choose becauseit shows when you play,.. its also the ever lasting job stopper location,... anything below the elbow, especialy on a woman.

oh well,... at some point i'll just say chuck it and get it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5657452.jpg

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

I drew one once too. But I'm just not sure cause it's so complex and meaningful I might later not like it know what I mean?

i understand completely. this one has changed over time,.. i'm happy with it, and believe i've tweeked it all i'm gona tweek it. i have sevral friends that have many tats,... some even gigle ver ink that now seems sill, but most wil tell you that it still represents thier outlook at tht time in thier life,..its a chronicle of ones existance,.. an autobiography in ink,... and seems pretty relevant in an increasingly ilitierate world. i think theres also the alure of investing in something inredibly personal for most,... something that is always with you,.. and can never be taken away,... in an age of forclosure and repo,... i can see th point perfectly.

you didnt ask me what it all meant.

19. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...well....what is the meaning behind it?

obviously its a rosary,.... catholic being my call since childhood,... despite my being raised a missionary baptist,... the our fathers are 8balls,... cause life often uts us behind the 8ball,.... each decade of the rosary is comprised of something different,... the pool balls, well, i like to shoot pool, i love it actualy,... the nuts,... well,... i'm kinda nuts,.... the barbed wire is for self controll, containment, sometimes drawing blood, but containment that works,... the music notes and staff,... music is the only constant in my life,.. and my only island of sanity in an ocean of stupidity,... like audio xanax,... the skulls are a healthy respect for life and death,.. and a gallows humor,... in place of the cross is a war hammer,... i like to be well armed,... even in matters of faith,... and the number on the handle,... thats another conversation,... not this one.

interesting...figured out that ya luved music...i like the barbed wire meaning...and i like the 8ball...what about the compass? pls don't mind the ?'s...just interested...i like tats - those that really really have a meaning and many times i don't get the opp. to ask...tats can be quite intimate

oops,...plumb forgot about the compass,... its just a simple refference to having direction in life,... and the direction we choose to go,... i've got the needle pointing NNW,... we very seldom if ever have a true north moment in life,.. and the number,.. well,... chat my ass on FB some day,... i'll tell you what Doz00fifty (120050)means

20. anitabath011 profile image57
    anitabath011posted 12 years ago

i love tattoos..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)