Need advice!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Someone wants me to write a book for them. She'll provide the story, but she wants me to put it in narrative form. I have no idea how much to charge or even how to charge. If you've done this type of work, did you charge by the word or what? What's an average fee? Thanks in advance for any help!

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee you need to charge per page or per 100 words depends which you opt for. The price depends on you.

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea about fees for this Habee, but try looking at it from a different perspective. You say this person has led an interesting life which means there will be people wanting to read it.
      You may not make a great deal of money from it but you may get plenty of kudos and get noticed by other publishers and more work will follow. If you really want the job and you have the time, don't price yourself too high and put them off. Well done to you and good luck.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Cool gig if you can get it worked out.

Congrats! on the offer. smile

Sorry, I'm not help with your dilemma. hmm

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

It's Not unlike your split here.

Design a % split on it's marketing (over and above any publishing fees) and a flat daily writing fee and then hold an 'ownership' contract (covering all rights.. inc film, advertising etc) for a set period or until some specific thing has been achieved... eg: 1,000,000 copies sold or whatever.

As effectively, you are the author... AND it comes down to evaluating how good the 'Story' is likely to be!  Hell, you can write 20 books from the stories I could tell you Hollie! (And THAT'S No Story!)

There are many ways of putting the deal together... but what are YOU looking to achieve?

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pearl, I'm not really sure! This woman has a fascinating story to share. She was a missionary and has done all sorts of interesting stuff. She's now a business executive. I want to help her get her story out, but I know it will take a lot of time, so I can't do it for free, nor does she expect me to. I've written thousands of articles for pay, but I'm not sure what to charge for an entire book.

Habee ask Cardissa she's a pro

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee, the rate depends on the type of book.

If it's fiction where you have to provide all the ideas then it's a little more.

If all the material is provided and you just put them together with no additional research then you could charge $0.03 per word or more, depending on how much she can pay.

Some people work with a budget so it might also be $0.02 or even $0.01 per word.

I would ask what kind of budget the person was working with and see if that compares to the average charge of $0.03 per word. Then I would decide if that was enough for me to work with.

You also have to keep in mind that they may expect it edited and ready to be published when you are done.

Thanks for the reply Cardisa.

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

This looks like a ghost writing type of gig. Maybe Sufidreamer can help you with that.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Habee, I had a dig around and I found this site - this is just one of their pages relating to fees specifically, but there seems to be some great information on the whole site which will help give you some idea of what to expect.

http://www.seo-writer.com/pricing.html#writing

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Yeah the site I linked in are professional rates - just look at what they charge for a 500 word article!!

Still, its a place to work from, and there seems to be a lot more to it than simply writing the book.

They mention editing when the book is finished, and re-writes, and all sorts of things that will make a seemingly simple task quite arduous and needs to be paid for.

Then, are you simply  the 'ghost writer' not mentioned in the credits and with no further involvement, despite having written the whole thing.

If that is the case, I would charge high, and make it clear from the outset that any re-writes will need to be paid for on top of the initial fee.

This book could go on to become a best seller, and if you wrote it for something low like $1,000 or $2,000, you'll really be missing out afterwards.

On the other hand, if it doesn't do well?

Who knows...

I can't help thinking your best bet would be to go in on a low pay initial structure, but with your name on the cover and a share of the profits.

But what do I know?

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Thanks, pals! You guys have been really helpful, and you've given me a lot to think about.

BTW, I got the offer after the woman read one of the short stories (long story, actually) I entered in the recent contest. Obviously, it didn't place, but I guess it was good enough for this woman to think I could write her story! lol

Haha smile Do keep us informed about the project

1. habee profile image93

Will do, Brandon!

Great Habee smile Wish you all success big_smile

2. mary615 profile image83
          mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've said from the start that you are a Wonder Woman!  You never cease to maze me.  You must be an excellent time manager (among your other talents).  Good luck, girl!

1. habee profile image93

Ha! Thanks mucho, Mary!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)