Is Saturday or Sunday the first day of the Week?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 16 months ago

Is Saturday or Sunday actually the first day of the week? This is a dual challenge. Which is your mindset? And how do you come to the reasoning and conclusion? Is there any other day you consider as the first day? Let us discuss. But I do not want us to throw in hammers and spammers. All are welcomed.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 16 months agoin reply to this

It looks like it depends on where you live in the world. Here's an interesting article about it. It would be a great topic for a HubPages article!

1. Nathanville profile image90
        Nathanvilleposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Interesting, I note from your link that the UK week starts on a Monday, while the USA starts is week on a Sunday!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 16 months agoin reply to this

'It would be a great topic for a HubPages article!'. Matt, thanks. I got it.                                    It's clear that half of the globe will face 12 hours of light and darkness respectively. But the Poles seems not to qualify here at certain seasons. These experienced 24 hours light or darkness.

2. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 16 months agoin reply to this

In America, technically Sunday is the first day of the week. However, our work week is Monday thru Friday. Our pay periods end on Saturday and begin again on Sunday.

Here's a photo of the calendar in my home office. You'll see that the week clearly begins on Sunday.

https://hubstatic.com/16421301_f1024.jpg

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Sunday is the first day of the week. However, some people do confuse Sunday with the Sabbath day because most people attend church services on Sunday. However, the Jews and the Seventh-Day Adventists have always kept the Sabbath, which is from sunset Friday to sunset on Saturday.

As Matt Wells pointed out above, it depends which part of the world you live in e.g. it's Sunday in the USA, and Monday in the UK.

Matt Wells provided a link explaining that (re-copied here):-  https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/da … -week.html

1. profile image0

His article first describes the first day of the work week, which is Monday, and later adds that Saturday is the Sabbath, which is the seventh day.

Well it doesn't alter the fact that for half the world, like the USA, Sunday is the 1st day of the week, and for the other half of the world, like the UK, Monday is the 1st day of the week.

4. SerenityHalo profile image94
      SerenityHaloposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Weekends are a relatively new thing. If I remember right, they started in the Victorian Era because people had more leisure time, so they could take Saturday off.

In that case, is Saturay the first day of the week? Thanks.

1. SerenityHalo profile image94
          SerenityHaloposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Maybe in some places. I would consider it the end of the week.

That may be. But the focus is still which is the first day of the week.

2. Nathanville profile image90
    Nathanvilleposted 16 months ago

According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday is considered the first day of the week; which is why all calendars printed in the UK show Monday as the first day of the week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

But here in Nigeria, Sunday, is always shown as the first day of the week.                                             I think it's because of the intrusion of the Christian faith into the country before the  Fulani jihads of Usman( Uthman) Dan Fodio around 1804.                                                That just said, agreed that other parts of the globe may differ in respect of the day of the week. But who knows pagans may likewise have a sub view from modernity.

1. profile image0

What intrusion? Saturday has always been the seventh day since the calendar was created. It's a simple fact that Sunday is the first day of the week. People didn't have 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday jobs back in AD.

It depends in which part of the world you live in.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Savvydating, I need more enlightenting on your statement above. When was 'since the calender was created'? Thanks.

1. profile image0

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ju … witch.html
            1582. My understanding is that the Gregorian calendar is the most accurate because it reflects the cycle of the planet around the sun. However, it is in no way the first calendar made by man. But, it does recognize Saturday as the seventh day.

The Jewish people recognized the Sabbath before the 1st Century. To this day, they worship on Saturday (Friday dawn to Saturday dawn) as they always have.

However, if your post refers to the modern day work week, Monday is the day people go back to work in the West, generally speaking.
            Perhaps it is different in your country?

Savvydating, Monday, is the first day of the work week in my country, Nigeria. Sunday, is officially the first day of the week.                                 And besides, the Seventh Days Advertists practise the Sabbath like as you do in the USA. Thanks.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Here in the United States our calendar starts with Sunday.

Yes, Matt Wells pointed out above that it depends which part of the world you live in e.g. it's Sunday in the USA, and Monday in the UK.

Matt Wells provided a link explaining that (re-copied here):-  https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/da … -week.html

3. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 16 months ago

Interesting.
    Here in the United States our week starts on Sunday.

Yet, some employers will go ahead and put Sunday on the same weeks pay if you work overtime on the weekend.

Interesting too, it would be as a result of the Europeans intruding into the America with the Bible, as they flee from persecution.

4. Abby Slutsky profile image92
    Abby Slutskyposted 16 months ago

I think a lot depends on your faith if you take the position that God rested on the seventh day, but I am not all that religious.

5. Farah N Huq profile image82
    Farah N Huqposted 16 months ago

Well...in my country Friday is the weekly holiday since it is the day to offer Jumah prayers. So our working day starts from either Saturday or Sunday. It is diff from the west. We also have our own Bangla calender and the year starts from 14th April.

Thank you. But I'm curious about your country. And through your profile I noted it as  Dhaka.                                         That Friday is the first day of the week in your country, is it because was Islamized with Islam?

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 16 months ago

The read is not focusing on only the USA and the UK.                                                       It throws its search light at the various continents.                                        For instance, Nigeria was specii2lly mention as a country in  Africa, whose first day of the week begins on a  Sunday. Others like Pakistan and India, in Asia also officially adopt  Sunday as the first day of the week. I reasoned that this was due to the  Gregorian calender, as an Islam nation should have had based their calender on the year of the Heijira.

Yeah, you are right:  I only focused on comparing the UK with the USA because Sunday is the 1st day of the week in one and Monday the 1st day of the week; although both (as with most of the world) uses the Gregorian calendar:-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Weeks

7. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 16 months ago

Weeks are circular; when one ends another beings and starts the same cycle all over.

A circle has no beginning and no end.

Yea, that's really true. The writing is that of wilderness, but the voice seems that of FatFreddyCats!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 16 months agoin reply to this

A compliment, to be sure!

wilderness, you're welcome.

8. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 16 months ago

I’ve always thought of Sunday as the first day of the week in Canada, where I live now, and in Britain, where I used to live.

Linda, but I noted here that a guy specific Monday as the first week in Britain. What d'you say?

1. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 16 months agoin reply to this

It may have changed since I lived in Britain, or it may be different in different families or traditions. All I can share is my experience.

Experience mattered. Thank you.

9. Farah N Huq profile image82

In my country Bangladesh, where Dhaka is the capital, all three calenders are followed, Grogorian, Islamic and Bangla, Gregorian being the commonly followed one. Since the majority of the population is Muslim, the Islamic calender is widely followed for the religious practices and festivities, while the Bangla calender was introduced keeping in mind the seasons in our country, mainly for the harvesting of crops, which did not quite sync with the Islamic calenders.....So that’s a bit of the history....
    As for the first day of the week....Friday is the official holiday throughout the country as there is the Jumah prayer that is offered in congregation.... Saturday is also a holiday in many institutions but most non- govt organizations stay open on Saturdays. So the working days are either Sat-Thurs or Sun-Thurs. So when we say the names of the seven days in Bangla it starts with Shonibar/Saturday....but the Calenders start with Sundays to sync with the Gregorian calender....

Farah,your country seems to have had a dual calender system, Friday follow by Saturday. Thank you.

10. Farah N Huq profile image82

As I mentioned....we have three....not two...and tomorrow is the 1st of Ramadan as per the Islamic calendar...Ramadan is considered to be a blessed month....and so we fast from dawn till dusk and it starts from dawn tomorrow...and this will be followed by one of the two yearly Islamic festivals Eid ul Fitr. So wishing you all a very happy and blessed month....Ramadan is a month when we abstain from all sins and follow the path of goodness in righteousness...We seek forgiveness and forgive those who’ve wronged us so that peace and balance are restored around us. These teachings are being forgotten day by day...So it’s important to have this month to bring back all on the right path again....
    Anyway....so for such Religious practices we follow the Islamic calender.
    Friday is the holiday.....Saturday or Sunday is considered to be the first day of the week.

That is very well understood. In Nigeria, Ramadan begins today.

11. Farah N Huq profile image82

Good to know that.... Blessings of Ramadan to everyone....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)