Hubs in freefall after huge rise - what is happening?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Les Trois Chenes profile image80
    Les Trois Chenesposted 12 years ago

Over the last two days my hub viewings are all down to practically 0. This after a huge rise to about 400 a day. What's happening on HubPages? Who else is affected?

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

This has been happening on and off since the Panda slap of February '10.

You'll find there are LOTS of similar threads on this topic in the forums. sad

Les Trois Chenesposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. michifus profile image57
        michifusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have just checked  a few of your hubs and you have an extraordinary amount of links going out from your pages, both within hubpages and external links. When you add in the links that Hubpages puts on every page, plus the links from your amazon capsules, it could be viewed as being excessive.

I found that once I had cut back on internal and external linking, and removed Amazon capsules from some of my hubs and reduced the number of amazon products on others, traffic improved considerably.

It would appear that Google has re-spidered your pages and you have been penalized. It may not be the links, but it did stand out when i looked at your hubs.

If it is a Panda problem, it could be due to a number of different things that you have done "wrong" in the eyes of Google. That doesn't mean they are actually wrong - just that Google sometimes takes a dislike to even the very best writers - albeit sometimes only temporarily.

I would leave it for at least a couple of weeks to see if traffic rebounds. However, what have you been doing recently? have you made any changes?

You say that you have only just been adding in ebay capsules recently - could that have anything to do with the traffic plunge? If you are adding them to every hub, I would consider holding back on a few.

I had a plunge, and checked my amazon hubs - they represented 90% of my account. I took them off the hubs where they were not particularly relevant, were not working as far as I could tell, and on hubs where I was getting no traffic before the plunge. Overall I reduced amazon hubs to about 60%. My traffic went up to normal levels - after a plunge of over 6 months.

I now only using Amazon/ebay capsules when it is relevant - i.e a sales hub, and when I do use them I select the products and only have 2-4 products.

Would traffic have returned if I had done nothing? I don't know for sure.

As for links, I am a firm believer in restricting the number of outbound links on a page to just a few. Often none at all unless it is particularly relevant. I no longer link to my own hubs - or very rarely. I made that change at the same time, following advice from a number of hubbers on here. In particular ditching the feed capsules, which I think are particularly bad.

Just my two penneth!

there are loads of forum posts on Panda - take a look at what the general consensus is from people who have pulled out of it. I agree with you. But then Panda hit a lot of hubbers - even a lot of the really good hubbers on here.

2. Will Apse profile image88
              Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Too many affiliate links certainly seem to mark you out for a Pandering.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relax 3 Dogs... Don't get down about it..

I believe Google may have sent your work out to Backward Countries for a few days! It often takes time to travel through mountain ranges, valleys and thick forestation by donkey (Panda's proxy).. You can always tell when your hubs are being viewed in backward countries, because you will notice on your stats that the hubs that have been read backwards, can be identified by the - minus sign beside them! sad

Hopefully the search engine donkey will not be lost or injured on it's journey..

Bon Chance... Keep your pecker up!  smile

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
          Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for making me laugh today, Pearldiver!  I also hope the se donkey doesn't get lost or injured on its journey. lol

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Oh So Sad Rosie... the donkey he... he.. c'est mort!  E isa kaaaaput! sad

He carry too mucha traffic away from the hub plagues..... and he fall offa... downa the cliff sad

So sad for 'im.. he wasa good donkey you know.. he justa carry too mucha BS upper the mountain... he's legis too small... yikes  sad

Pearldiver - you're just not taking this seriously!

3. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If your final total of views has gone down, that happens about 24 hours after you delete a hub.

I just lost 20,000 views off my total this week after deleting some hubs.

But yeah what everyone else says about plunges and surges, looks like you have joined the club!

IzzyM, Thanks for leaving a message. No, I haven't deleted any. Perhaps this is just the downside the huge surge a week or so ago. I just wonder what is going on with HupPages when Squidoo, for example, is stable.

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did Squidoo split into subdomains too?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
              PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No.  Not currently.

2. WannaB Writer profile image87
            WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't found Squidoo all that stable this week. My only top tier lens was up to around 1700 three days ago and suddenly jumped back down to 700 the day after and it's been fluctuating between those two numbers since then. I'm just hoping it doesn't plummet from Tier One before the end of the month.

I try to do my best and let the views and rankings fall where they may. I have no idea how these things are determined.

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
                WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a different name on Squidoo.  I'm BarbRad there.

Found you Barbara, and thanks for the message.

3. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 12 years ago

As has been pointed out.... wait to see if it recovers before taking any drastic action smile

Sadly the last word....

The Donkey.... C'est mort! C'est MORT! sad

4. PerlongMedical profile image59
    PerlongMedicalposted 12 years ago

I believe Google may have sent your work out to Backward Countries for a few days

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver, you seem to have aquired a little echo! smile

Yes....yes  CM...cm

Dragons...dragons Are...are Much...much Revered...revered In..in The...the Chinese...chinese Culture...culture smile

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

The Google gods have been offended!  You must sacrifice some Amazons to appease them!

6. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

FWIW, I had a very good first three weeks of February, then the weekend dropped back to about half the traffic.  Today is up again.  I suspect that many times we look for reasons where there is only random variation.

Which, of course, doesn't stop me from hoping that the first three weeks represent a real trend!

7. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

The same thing happened to me. Today is a good day-yay!  Maybe it goes in cycles

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)