Are factual hubs really the way to greater traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. silverstararrow profile image74
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie around here, lurking around for the past three weeks and I'm loving it so far. big_smile

I've written poems and a few hubs concerning social issues I've experience with. I've thought of writing a few factual/information based hubs. If I continue with creative writing, would it affect my current traffic (which is already low)?

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your traffic will ALWAYS be low if you are a 'Lurker!' okay! 

Where Exactly... are you and where have you been Lurking? sad 

If you want to come out of the shadows and have traffic visit you... you should either:

Place yourself in a lotus position on a busy road... sad

Or

Post a Link on this thread and we can read and critique the hubs you want advice on! smile

btw... Lurking is a punishable offense in many states mate! yikes

silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yikes Um, okay not lurking, hanging around clueless but posting madly, perhaps? 18 hubs...I'm a level two commenter, after all and have tried commenting and posting on as many hubs as I could.

Sadly, the community is just so vast that I still feel as if I haven't scratched the surface. I jump to the posts in the learning centre and faq from time to time, teaching myself more about HP. This forum's more of a hello. Would love to read more and more.

So, factual hubs...do they overrule creative hubs? Here's a hub I posted (as a sample to entice you, of course. big_smile)

http://silverstararrow.hubpages.com/hub … est-A-Poem

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Generally, factual and informative hubs get far more traffic than poetry, short stories or personal anecdotes. The reason is that people search Google for information - so those hubs will be more likely to get search traffic.  Also, the more unique you can make a hub, the more likely it will be searchable. There are great posts on these things in the learning center. 

This doesn't mean to abandon poetry or short stories - the site allows that type of writing, too. Anything overly personal, though, is better suited for a blog. 

Hope this helps - and welcome to the site!

+ 1  I knew Marcy could explain it better than me... And good on you for removing the lurk from your intent! big_smile

I will read some of your work and welcome to HP... don't worry.. I won't ambush you anymore! smile 
      It takes awhile for others to get to know you, but keep posting and they will find you.

Thanks for going easy on me. smile

Your first reply reminded me of my high school teacher. To be frank, I was a little intimidated. yikes

I'm okay now. No worries, really. smile

Good! 'Lurking' is a laughable offense here! big_smile

You allowed yourself to be intimidated! You are lucky mate... usually you have to contribute $20 towards our Christmas Party! big_smile

You write well... I like your work... but hey.. nice to meet you Frank! smile

Is this your usual induction routine for all new hubbers, Pealdiver?big_smile

2. silverstararrow profile image74

@ Marcy : That's a clear cut answer and to the point; will be posting a few factual hubs soon.

Thanks for replying to this thread. smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you got some answers here - PearlDiver is an expert on the site. 

I look forward reading your hubs!

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Most hubs are supported mainly by search engine traffic, and this is often people seeking information on something.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for replying. smile

4. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

Yep, any factual or educational hubs are the way to go, as they'll earn you money for years to come. Avoid broadcasting your opinions too much, and focus less on news items, as most news is forgotten within a week. The learning centre has some great articles about evergreen hub- the ones that will make money in six months + time.

Thank you, Kenny for sharing this info. smile

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Not all my educational or factual hubs do well.if I write about solving a problem,then readers will drive traffic..

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I think educational and factual hubs can do well when infused with our own personality wink and maybe touch of humor. They also can get linked to from others in good ranks wink so don't fret too much about writing on such topics.

One other suggestion I would recommend. Visit other Hubbers, read a Hub or two, look at their layout and critique your own Hub at how you can improve. smile Manage your time between with writing, promoting and social activities.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)