Where is Your Proof?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

I've read through a lot of philosophical and religious debates here on the hub, and I've come across a lot of comments concerning proof, particularly as concerns religion and science.

I've seen a lot of this:

"this has happened to me, so it proves that God is real."
    "I won't believe is unless science proves it to me."
    "This is proof of [whatever's being discussed]. Why don't you accept that?"

For being the entire foundation upon what we believe, the definition of proof seems to vary along with the individual.

So I would like to ask you all: what, in your opinion, constitutes something as being "proof" of something else? What makes something "evidence" of something else?

Just curious on your thoughts...

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Proof is always communicable and repeatable between people.  The same results  come from the same tests no matter who does the testing.  Absolute proof is seldom possible because of variations in testing procedures. 

For instance, if you let go of a ball will it fall to the floor?  Yes?  How about in a wind tunnel?  How about if it's setting on a table?  How about if you're in orbit in the space station?  Variables always exist and are not always recognized, making proof difficult.

Evidence, on the other hand, does not require the same standards.  Bad evidence, but nonetheless evidence of a sort, can come from individual experiences that cannot be reproduced.  Good evidence comes from reproducible tests that anyone can carry out.  Lots of bad evidence "proves" little to nothing; lots of "good" evidence is generally accepted as proof by those that are interested in reality rather than desired results.

Somewhere in between is what we usually have, whereupon interpretation and opinion come into play.  Those wanting truth and knowledge go to great lengths to eliminate both (as well as their own desires and emotions) as much as possible; those wanting a preordained "fact" don't.

AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if I am understanding you correctly, the ability to repeat an experiment and produce the same outcome, over and over, is a high indication that the hypothesis attempting to be proved through the experiment, is proof? (Although I do note you said that absolute proof is impossible, due to unknown variables.)
          Thank you for your insight. What you said makes sense, which I hope I understood you correctly smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It also helps if anyone can repeat the experiment with the same results...

If we are speaking about prayer... for example...  It is not really proof or even good evidence to say that someone was cured of cancer by praying.  Unless any cancer patient that prays receives the same results.

Yes I did mention that in my reply...sorry maybe I wasn't quite clear smile

So you agree that conducting an experiment and having those repeated experiments get the same results is one of the best ways of determining proof?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it's the best way of getting objective proof that would should convince any rational person.

I don't believe it is necessary for forming personal opinions and/or beliefs.  I think it is perfectly reasonable to use subjective evidence for that.  However it should be remembered that your standards of proof when using subjective evidence are completely yours.  It short... you can't reasonably expect to convince anyone else of your personal opinions and/or beliefs unless you meet THEIR standards of subjective evidence.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Now, what would happen if the Big Bang were re-created in the lab? How many times do you think they have done that? ZERO. How many times do you think they have turned a chimpanzee into a human being? ZERO...although, they have managed, reportedly, to have caused evolution, in one generation, in the lab. According to Darwin, adaptation takes hundreds of thousands of years...if not millions.

So what would constitute as acceptable proof, to you, then?

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do believe scientific proof...and spiritual proof. I see them as mutual human truths. I believe that we were given the capacity to figure out everything, including God. Believing in physics, I think that the prime candidate for what we call 'God' is what Einstein called Energy. The question is: Is that Energy sentient? Is it conscious? Everything exists because of energy, and, it was present at the beginning...if, indeed, there was a true beginning, and Stephen Hawking's prime force is still reliant on the presence of energy. It is a possibility...and, again, just as unprovable. That is why the discussion goes on...because there really is no proof that God doesn't exist, nor is there proof that God does. If God proves to me that God is there, my proof may not be good enough for you. I saw four stars, at least one of which was a planet in our solar system. It was an alignment, but, it was timed and in conjunction with thoughts, ideas, that were occurring to me, but, not being generated by me.(Sounds crazy, hard to really explain) but, in short, my conscious mind knew the alignment would be there before my eyes had seen it. The alignment occurred around March 1st, 1980, and was viewed by me from Corvallis, Oregon. Had you been standing next to me, all you would have seen was a curious alignment, but, happening the way that it did, told me that it is something inherent in the being, not just me, but all human beings. What followed was a thirty year search, which ended just prior to my joining hubpages.

Very interesting philosophy. I'd be very interested in knowing what all you learned on your thirty year search. What caused you to end this search?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)