Why should I give to charity? I already pay tax!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 11 years ago

Here is my problem... As a young business owner, I already pay approximately 60% of my earnings to tax and yet society expects people to contribute to charities and the poor.

But why? I already contribute far more than I use because in the country I live in, it is advisable to pay for and use private healthcare, education, transport and pension.

Why must I now also give to the poor? Sod them, I give enough.

1. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeats & Keating! 60% is a bit excessive.
      As of now, I end complaining about 30% combined state-federal taxation.
      Thank you, Mr Grumpiornot.
      James.

1. profile image71
        grumpiornotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just pay the 30% and smile! Thanks for your comment James.

2. JustMike profile image65
      JustMikeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Society doesn't expect you to give to charity. If you don't want to give or can't afford to then don't. Because if you are forced to give it's just another tax. But something is making you feel like you should do it and I think that is your own self conscious. That's another thing altogether. So if you can afford it by all means give or if you want to then give but if you don't want to or if you can't afford it then don't.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Out of the goodness of your heart and through empathy with those suffer far greater misfortunes than your own.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Hey...charitable donations are tax deductible...

But, I agree with why psycheskinner says...

1. profile image71

Well played sir! That covers both angles smile

4. udontnomi profile image58
    udontnomiposted 11 years ago

I see you were a lawyer. They still ream you that hard? Do we sit still for the desecration? I am for a straight tax of 10%. No returns for those who do not contribute. They qualify for assistance and training. The money for social services can be mustered from the private sector by churches and other humane service providers. Their opulent "ministries" and lifestyle testifies to thisIndividuals are hoarding the take. A good rule of thumb is 10%. If you are a person of means, then hold another 10% to give directly into the hand of those in need who you my encounter in your routine or travels.  The rest should be enough to live on and prepare for the future.

When we readily adopt this or a similar model, we be well on our way to having a happy, healthy society.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

charity is not just about poverty....non-profit groups or charitable groups have been formed for a variety of reasons.  In N.A. for example, the MS Society has been formed to provide assistance to folks with multiple sclerosis (and their family members); the red cross; heart and stroke, groups who target and support the elderly for various reasons such as for advocacy purposes; the canadian national institute for the blind; etc etc etc some of these groups specialize and may be the only place for folks to turn to for information and support etc.

many folks don't realize how often NPO's and charitable groups are used for various reasons whether or not a person accessing the service has the funds to pay or not for the service.  for example, if a family member became ill and is in their home rather than a hospital, the red cross will provide a bed, wheel chair or whatever may be needed on a temporary basis  i'm glad many of these groups are around...one day i could need the services of the CNIB or MS or Red Cross or any one of the various cancer societies.

The Red Cross helps people all over the world especially in times of crisis.  Cheers to the Red Cross!

i just wanted to clear up the misconception about the charitable sector - it's not just about poverty.

As for whether or not to donate to one of these groups  - well, that's entirely up to the individual.....

1. profile image71

Thanks for your comment, SomewayOuttaHere.
      You raise a very valid point - my comment was directed more in irritation at the huge wasteful expenditure of our ruling political party here in South Africa.
      The propaganda spouted here is that the government works toward helping the poor but the reality is that they simply continue to enrich themselves and their friends on a disgusting level.
      But i hear you - the waste of some individuals should not detriment those genuinely in need.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

If you don't want to give to charity, then don't cut loose with your bucks.  Simple as that.  I don't know why you even mention taxes.  When you give time or money to a charity, it's all about giving a gift.  Obviously, you aren't interested in giving, so what's the big deal???

1. profile image71

Hi Arlene, see my comment above... It's not about not wanting to give. It's about not wanting to throw money away and wanting it used for good where it is spent. Even if that expenditure is unwilling in the form of imposed taxes.
      Happy hubbing smile

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I agree. Charity is voluntary. No one but you need know how much you donate and to whom. The nice thing is you get to choose which group(s) get your support.
    If you don't like the idea of helping people through charity you cans till be charitable and  give to nonprofits for animals, disease research, nature conservancy -- all kinds of worthy causes!

1. profile image71

Thanks for the comment Mighty Mom - I like your hubbing name, all Moms are mighty!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)