Someone Copying My Hub Title!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 11 years ago

I wrote a recently published hub and I checked the search engine results and I am on the first page, but at the very bottom.  When I looked at the top of the page I noticed someone had the same title as me and they are higher on the search engine page.

What could be the main reason they are higher than me? They just posted the article/blog post a couple days ago, but mine is older.

Is it still a good idea to post hubs on facebook -- could it increase my ranking? I feel like it's kind of strange to do so because I don't want my family friends seeing them. Perhaps I could make a facebook page specifically for a niche and add people who share similar interests?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It could well be the content, keywords etc contained in the article that made it rank above yours. It takes far more than a title and age to put an article higher in the search results than another article (which is probably a good thing).

David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I should have noted in my post. The article was only a little over 250 words where mine was over 500. It was just a short simple post of information. More like a blog post, really. He had several pictures, however.

Could the article simply be higher ranking because it has been posted elsewhere? Or is it HubPages as a whole that is making hubs rank less?

I honestly feel like this post nearly copied mine -- or it could be a coincidence.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well the pictures could have helped, and a lot depends on what keywords he used in his 250 words versus what keywords you included in your 500+.  He may also have actively backlinked the article elsewhere which will improve its credibility in Google's eyes (especially as this would also increase his traffic). I do feel HP is ranked lower than other sites as far as Google is concerned, so this too could be going against you.

Unless he directly copied your article virtually word for word it would be hard to say if it is a coincidence or not. Wish I could help more!

True. Pictures may have helped to an extent. I am mainly concerned because last year I was targeting similar keywords and had articles reach hundred of views and more fairly easily, but they were ranking better.

And in a couple weeks, these keywords will be very important , but if my ranks on hubs are going to be low -- the quality of the content and length is irrelevant.

2. djdaniel150 profile image61
      djdaniel150posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They may be higher than you because of the quality of their content. I'm sure bad grammar of any kind will affect your grade when it comes to your hubs. Google checks pages it crawls for bad grammar as well as bad or broken code. Google will even remove pages from its index for being sloppy. I am not saying your work is sloppy either, since I haven't read it. I agree with the facebook thing. I don't want my whole family knowing every little thing I do. Maybe a separate page isn't so bad. On the other hand, facebook sucks as bad today as it did the day it was launched. So far, I've decided not to include their social networking buttons on my website, and opted for just using Google +. All those social networking apps actually drive very little if any traffic at all, and they take up space on pages. Let's face it, no one logging into their facebook account cares anything about a link they see posted, because there's 10,000 of them. Besides that, people don't go to facebook to read articles, it's a social networking site and nothing more. "Social!" This is the key word here. Search engines is where you need to find traffic, not social networking sites, they are generally worthless. Facebook will fail before it's all over with.

3. thephoenixlives profile image59
      thephoenixlivesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If it was just posted, it is the freshness algorithm that Google runs, wait a week or so and it may drop a bit. I doubt it is the content and if the hub is over 2 weeks old it is likely the authority of the subdomain/account.

2. drspaniel profile image84
    drspanielposted 11 years ago

If you do not wish for your family and friends to be seeing your Hubs, you could just make the posts inaccessible to them. There is a set of options that allows you to do this quite easily, but there is no reason for you to create a new account.

Yes, but it would be quite difficult to set the options every time especially considering there are dozens of people I would have to set.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

There are hundreds of articles online with the same title. You can't copyright a title. There are also many books with the same titles.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I have found some articles similar to mine with exact information, reworded, and yes, out page me on the ranks. They are far newer and also another content site. I'm wondering if other writers come to HP to 'rewrite' existing articles for themselves b/c HP has a good PR? tongue

1. djdaniel150 profile image61
      djdaniel150posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well Dame, the simple answer is yes, people have come to hubpages to publish stolen content! Its terrible, but wheres there's money, there's greed. There's a financial incentive here, so no doubt people have taken advantage of the situation before. If you find your content has been stolen, the next step is to figure out what search engines have indexed your content. Then file DMCA notices with those search engines to have the infringing content removed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)