HubPages Syndication Only Showing Exclusives

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

It seems that HubPages syndication will only show my Exclusives Hubs. Does anyone know how to syndicate all personal hubs and not just the Exclusives?

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey MaximumFatLoss! I'm not really sure what you mean by syndication... can you elaborate?

Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Simone. I just noticed your reply here. I figured it out with the help with jacharless (below). When I was speaking of syndication, I meant --> syndication by ways of automatically pulling my hubs into my website where it shows title and summary so that people can click on them and be forwarded to the full articles here at HubPages. Thank you for response.

2. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

If I'm understanding what you are asking, you can go to your profile, choose to edit it and scroll down near the bottom.  You can choose to show all your titles and not just your featured.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 11 years ago

Exclusive hubs are treated the same way as regular hubs. I wonder if you mean "featured".

I have written about a dozen hubs with exclusive titles that HP provided. Some became idle (not featured), just as what tends to happen with any hub that does not receive decent traffic.

If you do mean "featured" and not "exclusive" then the answer is what LCDWriter explained above.

4. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

Thanks for all your replies.  I don't mean featuring within HubPages or my HubPages profile.  I am talking about syndicating on other websites such as my own personal blog. I can pull my HubPages articles (hubs) in automatically into my blog/website. However, it is only pulling Exclusives and not others. Does this make sense?

1. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MaximumFatLoss, we aren't allowed to have an article published on both HubPages and another website (even a blog) at the same time. I don't know why you can publish your exclusive hubs on another site but not your other hubs, but I do know that HubPages wants unique content that isn't published anywhere else, even if an article is yours.

Edit: If only a summary of an article is being syndicated, I don't now how much text can be copied before it's considered to be duplicate content.

Abby Campbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not publishing on both HP and another website. I am syndicating. As for my website, an automatic summary is pulled in my blog and when clicked on to "Read more," the reader is transferred to HP.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As mentioned, to the best of my knowledge this is not a permitted activity for any hubs.

Syndication is allowed, and I've already talked with HP about this. Thank you for your response.

6. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Hmm. If I may, if I might. Seems you are backlinking/syndicating into a non-HP or other Social Media outlet. That feed is strictly syndicating "Exclusive" Hubs and not the others? This might be how the RSS or XML/Sitemap for Hubs is set up. As it would set the priority of certain hubs over others, when it updates. Yes, this does effect indexing on engines, and front-end display for featured hubs, but also how hubs are listed in the file itself.

Solutions:
    a. Create a custom syndication (RSS Feed, XML sitemap) to place on your sites or social media outlets.
    b. Cherry pick the links, one by one, as to create rich snippets/back-links. If you want, validate the snippet before using it, via Bing/Yahoo or Google Rich Snippet tool : link to test snippet );
    James.

Thank you so much, James.  I appreciate your comment very much. This whole syndication stuff is new to me, so I'm unfamiliar with both of your solutions. I will google and see what I can find. I did click on the link in option b that you gave, but it is unfortunately unavailable right now (I will check it later).  I spoke with Robyn, HP's co-owner's wife who is also the Educational Director for HP. She said that all of my hubs should be pulling for syndication and didn't understand why.  I haven't yet heard back from, though I know she is a very busy lady. So, your options will help to figure something out.  wink
      ~Abby

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Abby, a pleasure to meet you here.
        My apologies for the technical mumbo-jumbo. My brain is still on overload after building this last website.
        Short of it, simply add the links to the articles (hubs) you want to backlink into the social media page(s), like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc. If you have access to it, or a programmer, you can actually create a syndication feed which is what RSS is {Really Simple Syndication} or a Sitemap. I had a hub on that, but moved it elsewhere.  But, to my knowledge, Featured and/or Exclusive Hubs would take precedence over others, which explains why they are showing up in the syndicated output. Maybe HP has a fix for the sitemap... That I do not know.
        smile

James
        ps: tell me it is warm down south.

Hi James. Well, I haven't been outside since 7 AM, and it was a tush-freezer this morning.  LOL. Afternoons are usually pretty nice here in western North Carolina. I just don't like the cold in the mornings and evenings.  Thanks for asking. I guess it must be cold where you are. My home is actually Washington, DC, and I know they got hit pretty hard with this last cold front. Stay warm.  wink

Anyway, I have a couple of websites that I built from scratch. I'm no techie, and the software I was using wasn't being updated and leaving me in the dust when it came to capabilities. To make that long story short, I switched over to WordPress. I had used it before, so I knew a little about how to get around. I'm using a popular plugin called FeedWordPress for syndication. Are you familiar with it? I just type my address in for what I think you call "custom syndication" in your option A. It just pulls all of my HubPages in (Exclusives only). It just provides the title an summary of my hub, and a reader is taken back to my actual hub when clicking on "Read More" in my website's blog. I would like to add my non-Exclusives to do this as well... to make them all uniform. I know I can add pages manually, but I don't know how to backlink it where it says "Read More." When I do that now, it just takes the reader to another page in my WordPress blog to read. hmm  I know you're probably busy, but if you have time and think this would be easy enough for me to understand, I would love the help.  wink

I think I found some information, James.  Wiki seems to provide a good set of instructions (http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-RSS-Feed). So, I guess I just create an RSS with my non-Exclusives and upload them to Technorati, Rocket News and Feedster. Is this correct?

Yes. There are several methods to building one. The easiest is PHP (which works in WordPress, etc) but static XML works wonderfully too. Old school method is like this http://authora.me/Jacharless/Building%2 … acklinking -scroll to paragraph three-ish.

Sorry. I just saw this. Thank you.  It looks like you are very active at the authora.me site and have very useful information there I can use.  Now I just have to carve out some time each day to read your great articles.  wink

2. jacharless profile image74

@#$%&*! WordPress. LOL. Sorry, could not resist.
            Right am very familiar with WP and the plugin. That said, it makes me further believe this is an HP issue not a feed issue. They may have set the rss/xml output to display only Featured / Exclusive Hubs (which makes sense for better indexing on their part, as the "priority" tag for Featured or Exclusive Hubs would be higher than others). But, to be sure, can I have a look at the website where the plugin is being used? If it is the plugin, there may be an "override" switch in the code  somewhere.

James.

LOL. Yes, the website is http://abbycampbellonline.com/blog/ . I have two different channels flowing into syndication, mostly hubs. This is also the HP feed which only shows my Exclusives: http://maximumfatloss.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss . This is how I knew it was an HP issue and not WP as well.

James - Couldn't I just copy the HP rss feed with new information that includes only my non-Exclusives. And, do I just upload into my website's root directory? I apologize for all the questions. I'm probably making this more complicated than I should (that's me --> a perfectionist... lol).

Sorry!  I meant "copy the HP rss feed's View Source information" with new information.

2. jacharless profile image74

Yup. Exactly what I thought. Your sites plugin is working perfectly. It is syndicating exactly what HP is allowing. The http://maximumfatloss.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss is strictly displaying those ten hubs (as seen in your sites feed).  Am not sure why they deemed all ten "latest" hubs as exclusive/featured, unless all of them were published/updated recently. I am noticing the pubdate for all ten is within Feb-March of this year. So maybe that is why. Oddly enough, if you go to http://maximumfatloss.hubpages.com/hubs/hot?rss it shows the others.

James.

Hmmm... interesting!  Maybe "latest" features the last 10 hubs as you stated. Then "hot" features the hottest hubs? I have noticed that one of my non-Exclusives is not showing on the "hot" list either... maybe because it's not as hot as the others.  LOL.  How did you know to go to the "hot" rss? Maybe there is another rss with all of them?

Way back in the day (before the layout changes a few months ago) every Hubber had 3 feeds:
                    latest?rss / hot?rss / best?rss to view or syndicate hubs. That has since been depreciated -but still active- in favor (i believe) of the user xml.gz (sitemap) which controls priority of indexing for Featured / Idle hubs. To my understanding this was done to better align with search engines. In my not-so humble opinion is leading them down a very rough-n-tumble road. 
                    James.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I assume you are doing partial syndication then, because otherwise you will be producing duplicates.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)