Twain's Pain

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Did you know Mark Twain claimed to detest Jane Austin's writings? Here are 3 of his quotes.

“Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it.”

"Whenever I take up Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, I feel like a barkeeper entering the Kingdom of Heaven.Jane Austen makes me detest all her people, without reserve."

“I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read “Pride and Prejudice” I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

Some think he was a closeted fan... as if her novels were of the Danielle Steele variety.
    Some think he simply realized that he had a lot in common with... a woman of all ppl and didn't like it.

You would think someone who had developed some of the most beloved characters in American literature would appreciate the intricate looks into these repressed personalities that Austin brought to life.

Maybe that was it? The very fact that his characters were wide open... and hers closed off. Maybe he flat out didn't like the ppl she spotlighted.

Any opinions?

1. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And it could be that some folks feel Jane Austen's writing was trite, elitist, flawed by a self-conscious desire to fictionalize her petty personal beefs and dressed up in a hands-off sense of class division and moral superiority.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many did. I found it very interesting that instead of reading her characters as a study in humanity, they almost seemed to judge her personally. Some didn't seem to see her as an an observer and recorder, but a person solely surrounded by and defined by the world she wrote about. Which may have been true. Did you enjoy her writing?

No, I am not a fan. As you heard suggested, yes, it seems she was wholly defined by the world she wrote about. I feel she certainly, and rightfully, felt stifled by that world at times, but I also feel she was perfectly comfortable with the limited vision that world permitted. When I read her work, the characters strike me as utterly dependent on her own views and small stage of real-life intimate contacts; and character building of this kind makes for two-dimensional personalities at best.

It's so interesting to me. It had never occurred to me to judge her by her characters. I assumed that was the world she lived in, but I always imagined her an observer, and an astute one at that considering how difficult it is to read the heart and motives of others in a repressed society. I loved her stories. I never thought she was to blame for the society she was born into. I like ppl's stories though... no matter what they are usually. It's funny, I was much less fond of Twain's characters.

I don't think it is a matter of really judging her. As a kid I was expected to read her books for reports. After being bored to tears with Sense & Sensibility, then Pride & Prejudice, I looked up her biography. Then and only then did it click with me. Being thirteen years old, it doesn't come naturally to equate an author's work with their characters, but it made sense all the same. Sorry if my opinions on her step on any toes. Just my opinion, that's all.

No, not at all! Why wouldn't you have your own right to your preferences? This got me thinking why I never enjoyed the Twain stories I read in school. I think what it was was there was a lack of romance. I know it had a sense of romance with the adventures etc. But I wanted that connection between ppl which the Austin book had in spades.

My husband's family connects thru adventure. They just go, go, go until they've fit as many outings into a day as possible. My family immediately gathers in a room and begins talking. We might play a game or whatever, but we mostly just laugh. My husband finds it interesting, but he's bored to tears, as I am with miniature golf or whatever event I'm dragged to with his parents.

I wonder if our preference in authors has to do with our real life preferences.

Ah, that's cool smile
                  I don't know; I'm sure our personal experiences bear some influence on our reading preferences. I did live in Mississippi when I was a kid, which may explain in part my love of Mark Twain.

I'm sure it has.

2. alezafree profile image90
    alezafreeposted 9 years ago

I'm a huge fan of both authors but I must admit, I hadn't heard of this beef before. I'm intrigued. Twain's quotes about Austen remind me of Dorothy Parker's quotes about ... well, everyone.

lol. Yeah, it almost seems a bit tongue in cheek. You wonder if jealousy was involved. There were others who were vocal about their distaste for her writing, like Virginia Wolf, but again, maybe it was her characters themselves they protested to. They mostly all came from privilege... they did basically sit around talking... kind of like an early form of "Friends." Ppl have issues with these kinds of folks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)