Retiring the iPhone Application

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

When we first built the Iphone app, there wasn't a way to easily get photos from a phone to a Hub and that was a significant driver for building the app.  IOS has come a long way and the major functionality that the app offered can now be done through the browser.

Since IOS 8 was announced, our app stopped working and we have made the decision to focus our efforts on improving the mobile web experience and for now removing the app from the Itunes store.

I know there are people that really like the app.  It's sentimental to me as well.  There is always a chance it returns at a future date, but for now the app is going to be resting in retirement.

1. amuno profile image89
      amunoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am one of those that will dearly miss the Hubpages app. A one stop app on mobile is what I need in order to browse through my works and not worry about loosing its tab. I can now go ahead and delete it it!

Will probably have to create a shortcut icon, but surely it looks bad.

Make sure it returns in the near future and get the mobile experience better pretty soon.

2. 101Ways2Life profile image82
      101Ways2Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul, I find the app very useful so that I can get a quick glimpse of my stats and earnings from my phone. I haven't upgraded to iOS 8. So will I be able to continue to use Hubpages app with iOS 7 as I do right now?

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not plan to upgrade, so hopefully I can continue to use it. I did go on the site without the app today on iPhone, and it worked pretty well.

2. ezhang profile image82
        ezhangposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi 101Ways2Life,

If you currently have a working version of the app, it will continue to be supported for now, so you should be able to continue using it. However, bear in mind that we make no guarantees on how long we will continue to provide this support.

2. Tim Bader profile image70
    Tim Baderposted 9 years ago

Being a newbie Hubber, transferred from Squidoo, I thought "at last, a mobile app to go along with the site!"....

Missing it already!

Please bring it back, soon as.

3. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 9 years ago

I've used the app for years for hubbing on the go...I will continue to use it for as long as I can. I have no intention of upgrading to IOS 8 due to all the issues and glitches.
    Love Live the HP App! It's like losing a good friend sad

4. JMGadoury profile image71
    JMGadouryposted 9 years ago

It is easy to lose track of the entrepreneurial nature of our online world.  It takes lots of work and resources to build and support an App, and I know that is quickly taken for granted, especially when it is offered no charge.  So, thank you for building the app and supporting it as long as you did. That said, given the commercial nature of our activity, I would be willing to purchase access to the next iteration should Hubpages leadership so decide. In my opinion, an App is as crucial now as a website was in the 1990's. Productivity and connection to our consumers hinges on mobile capability.  An App for no other reason is a sign that an organization is leading edge and cognizant of the need to adapt.  Again, my compliments on your instinct to build from inception. To that, add my encouragement to press forward. Thanks!

5. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 9 years ago

I'm very disappointed that the app has been retired. It's not just sentimentality. Can someone please tell me how I see my daily/weekly stats on my phone/iPad then as I don't often use my laptop at the moment?

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The app still works on my iPhone, as I have not updated to the new operating system. I don't know how long my luck will last.

6. jonnicholas profile image80
    jonnicholasposted 9 years ago

I dearly miss the app. I used it to keep up with hub stats.

If you create a new one, just charge money for it to cover the necessary manpower needed to keep it going.

I would gladly pay to have my stats available to me on my smart phone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)