The Bible vs. Reality

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. EncephaloiDead profile image55
    EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years ago

We can see on these forums many believers constantly want us to present all kinds of information, knowledge, evidence and facts on a wide variety of subjects including, biology, cosmology, astronomy, physics and a whole array of other disciplines concerning the understanding of the world around us and ourselves.

For us, the expectation is that we are to be educated in all aspects of these disciplines in order to talk about reality and how it affects us. In many cases, such as evolution, the expectation is that we are supposed to not only provide facts and evidence, but also to teach those who would deny it simply because they have no understanding of it.

Our work is laid out in front of us and it certainly can be overwhelming.

The believer, on the other hand, only needs to copy and paste any given verse from the Bible they decide to interpret to make their point. We see the result of this as the formation of tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity due to the fact Christians interpret those verses in many ways, often themselves incapable of agreeing with one another.

The point is that they need not think or try to understand anything beyond that one single book, yet they demand we present mountains of proof from a myriad of scientific disciplines, and then bleat out one victory after another because they themselves failed to understand what is being presented to them.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

...especially when you consider the Bible was written before science and the discoveries of scientists and researchers, (such as paleontologists,) were even understood to the extent that they are today!!!

EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, myths and superstitions came before facts, evidence and understanding of the world around us.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the part of this that puzzles me is the believer for whom any and every question can be answered by their scripture. There is something to consider here, in my opinion. Science, as it has evolved (pardon the pun) over the centuries has become a discipline entirely of its own. It addresses the material world around us, and does a damn good job of it. I wouldn't look to the Bible for instructions on the process of reverse osmosis for water purification. But I will look to it for instruction and inspiration in my spiritual life. I wouldn't look to science for those things-for a couple reasons-scientific endeavor generally operates from the position that there is no spiritual realm. That's fair to me. I know where to address which questions.

I think there is a certain type of believer who simply does not grasp the concept that not everyone believes. They begin every line of enquiry from the position that God exists and controls all. There is absolutely no objectivity and no allowing for the fact that two entirely different minds are exploring entirely different things. For me, science just doesn't DISprove God, any more than my belief in God's sovereignty negates the truth of science.

Wow. Sorry for the long winded, stream of consciousness post. That's just some of how I look at it.

That answer is the reason why you're so respected, you offer good, honest answers.

The problem lies when believers simply deny science in favor of telling us reality is indeed their own personal spiritual realms.

1. profile image0

True. Think about this...Christians talk about their "personal" relationship with God. Well, in our human to human relationships, every one is different. Yet, they expect everyone to mimic their relationship perfectly, and condemn those who say theirs might be different.

Reality is objective. Perception is not. But everything about our relationship to God is based on our perception, and to try to impose that on anyone as objective reality is unfair and entirely dishonest.

IMO, of course.

Exactly, and much to my frustration and tongue biting, I've witnessed good, honest folk like yourself who have been the target of such Christians.

Great, thanks again for an honest answer. smile

1. profile image0

It can be frustrating, that's for sure. But we all grow from it, believe it or not. One fellow Christian here I've been around the block with a trillion times, sometimes to the point of refraining from interaction with her altogether. But, even the two of us have been able to put aside some differences in favor of the common ground of really caring about people. I think that's what it takes. If you're a misanthrope before you become a Christian, that doesn't immediately go away, sadly.

smile

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My personal favourite…

"My religion came before science therefor it's right"

"Hinduism came before your religion so does that make Hinduism right"?

"No it didn't"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)