Who owns the copyright to reviews and comments?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

When someone makes a comment on a hub, blog post or creates a product review, who owns the copyright to that comment? 

Does Amazon own the copyright for product reviews?  Does Hubpages or the Hub author own the copyright to comments?  Is there even a copyright for such snippets?

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm only guessing, but I would think if it's on your Hub or blog post it's yours; because you own the content on those two places. If it's on a sort of public place, like the forums, then it's property of the site.

I was actually wondering this same thing just a minute ago. Sometimes people take screen shots of comments and use them in articles and I was wondering about the legality of that: It occurred to me after reading an article on another site in which the author used a screen shot of a comment from a forum from another site.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Anything you post outside of your Hubs on the HubPages site becomes property of HubPages.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So on Amazon, the product reviews are property of Amazon, and Amazon holds the copyright?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No.  Amazon does not assert copyright on reviews.  You agree to give them a wide "license" to use it but you retain copyright. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ … amp;sr=1-5

The easiest way to answer these questions is to go right to the site in question and read their terms of service yourself.

In neither case does the author of the content have the right to use reviewers comments without permission although some will use very short excerpts in the hope of getting away with it or having that counted as fair use.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My comments here were about HubPages and have nothing to do with Amazon. 

By the way, have you ever considered reading the terms of use for any of these sites in which you are participating?

2. chasmac profile image91
        chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's not right. People often post images (a form of content) either belonging to others or their own here on the forums. Those certainly don't belong to HubPages. That would mean all of Mark Ewbie's stickmen images that he's posted now belong to HubPages and he would need their permission to post them anywhere else. No way!
        HP can claim the usual royalty-free perpetual usage rights to legally uploaded images as they do for Hub content, but there's no legal transfer of copyright involved. They don't 'own' the images. So, I don't see how text in the form of comments should be any different

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The writer of the review owns the copyright, the website terms of service specify which subsidiary rights the writer is giving to the owners of the website--normally the right to publish online and some limited ability to use in publicity for that site.

3. profile image57
    ghostly1posted 9 years ago

Its said anything you originally create is automatically copy writed to the creator but actual documents to copy write something are only used for intellectual property that can produce revenue.

I could be wrong on this but understand copy write laws, especially concerning when you can and can't use something in your works that you plan to sell is a huge worry of mine. No matter how much i read about it I still have problems understand the terms of service on stuff.

That is incorrect.  Copyright attaches to every creative work in fixed form at the moment of creation.  There are no stipulations about it being a commercial work.

http://copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Here is what is really pertinent, boiled down.  There are two types of content on this site:   Hub and Author.

Hub content you may remove.  Author content you may not.

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

There are a significant number of long-time site users, such as myself, who are do not post original, proprietary work into any areas deemed Author content because you do then lose control of that material.  Mark clearly doesn't feel that way, that's all.

1. chasmac profile image91
      chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting to note in the TOS (although slightly off topic from the original question) that ALL our photos, even those on our hubs, are classed as 'author content', meaning unlike 'Hub content' (Hub text, videos, etc.) they face the same removal restrictions as all other author content (comments, questions, etc). But that's the only control that's lost. They can keep those "copies" of our Hub photos (and our avatars and Mark's stickmen, etc.) for ever and ever and use them in ways allowed under the royalty-free licence that we automatically granted them, but they have no control over our use of the images, because, as the TOS confirms, "HubPages does not claim ownership of Your Hub Content or Author Content." - which brings us nicely back on topic. I knew I'd get there eventually :-)

5. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

I think that comments on your hub is owned by Hubpages because the site is owned by them. Also, what you owe is your content.

Please read the previous answers.  This is incorrect.  There is a difference between granting the site license to post your comments and handling over copyright.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)