Bounce Rate: What does it really mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

I need clarification on what "Bounce Rate %" means. Here's the definition from Google Analytics:

Bounce Rate is the percentage of single-page visits (i.e. visits in which the person left your site from the entrance page without interacting with the page).

My question is what exactly does "interacting" include: Scrolling; clicking on ads, polls, and links; watching a video; clicking on a related article? I'm pretty sure it means more than just reading the article. My bounce rate is always high (88-90%) which I've heard is not good. But the average time on the page is always 4 to 5 minutes and my overall traffic is good.

So is it necessary to add more enticing bells and whistles to get the reader to "interact" more with the page or is the fact that they are reading the article good enough? In other words, is "Bounce Rate" a misleading metric? Thanks.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I too am interested in what others say about this.

2. arunrajv profile image60
      arunrajvposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For a blogger the bounce rate will always be on the higher side, since the visitor will come to your site reads the article and leaves. Try creating a goal like "stayed for more than 60 secs" ,obviously 60 secs are enough to read one blog. If the visitor reads your post it should be treated as the conversion right? Just try this and you will feel the bounce rate dropping.

jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, arunajv. This is somewhat helpful. My readers are definitely staying to read for more than 60 seconds. The bounce rate indicates that they aren't. Maybe the small amount of activity on the majority of my hubs skews the bounce rate.

3. Richard-Bivins profile image79
      Richard-Bivinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you need clarification at all, you nailed it exactly. 

You're average time can mean many things but mostly that your articles are long.  The key is to try and get your blog readers to engage with you in comments.  Ask questions, be provocative, call people out.  That is how you gain a following and then drive people to your list by telling them how everything is explained in more detail in your giveaway ebook or pdf or other bribe.

Brilliant advice, Richard. I see some of what you're suggesting on Twitter. Thank you very much. This online writer/blogger thing really is a 24/7 commitment I wish I had.

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Info about Bounce Rate is contradictory; some people seem to think it's important and others don't think it's particularly important. I've also heard that time on page is way more important; which is logical to me. Would love to hear people with their own blogs share with us whether they've noticed bounce rate having a particular effect.

I can say that my bounce rate here at HP tends to be high and many of my Hubs still get decent traffic. In fact, my own blogs do fairly well and have high bounce rates. One gets less traffic than the others, has more content and a lower bounce rate. Of course, all of this has more to do with SEO and keywords, I think. I will say that the site I have that has a lower bounce rate also has more time on page and richer content; but lower traffic.

Not sure what all that means, except that, for me, it's all still kind of up in the air.

Hi Nate, thanks. I appreciate you taking time to reply. Very helpful.

3. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 8 years ago

While doing a google search yourself with a search phrase, you will get a list of links; you click one, see what is written there by a quick reading in bits here and bits there and see whether it is relevant for you. Many times it may not be so. It will be WYLFINWYG (What You Look For Is Not What  You Get)!  You quickly quit the page and click another link in the search. Probably, you may end up with a relevant info after 4 or 5 links. When you get one, you read it deeply by spending time there.

All the earlier ones, you only bounced.

So, in the same way, many people ending up in your article may not be getting the info what they originally wanted. Some may get and they may spend time to do a deeper reading. The bounce rate will be an average of all these I suppose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)