I NEED ALL THE MEN ON HUBPAGES TO COMMENT ON D'ANGELO RUSSELL

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12947736_f520.jpg
    Now that D'Angelo Russell has broken the unwritten code among us men, which is you NEVER snitch on someone (unless the law requires you to of course).  Do you think he ruined his career in the nba now that he's broken the unspoken code among us men?  For those of you ladies out there that are  unfamiliar with the official guy code, it's simple.  You NEVER snitch on a dude if he's cheating on his wife and/or girlfriend.  Granted, you don't have to condone it, or like it.  Hell, you can flat out despise him for doing it, and tell him to go f*** himself for what he's doing, but YOU NEVER SNITCH ON HIM FOR IT.  The only thing worse in guy code is really sleeping with your friend's wife or girlfriend.

Moving one though.  D'Angelo Russell went to Nick  Young's house, where he admitted to sleeping around behind his girlfriend's back.    Unknowingly to Young, Russell recorded the entire conversation and uploaded it online.  Now it's viral, and it's causing a rift within the Lakers' locker room.  My question to you guys are do you think he can come back from this?  Can D'Angelo Russell still be a great player in spite of violating the hidden man code?  Or do you think he's doomed to failure because nobody will ever want to play with him again.  What are your thoughts?

Also if there's any women reading this, then I'd love to hear your thoughts too.  Thanks.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Seems like a vindictive thing to do, on the one hand, but it possibly isn't so bad on the other. I'd be curious to hear why he taped it. I think, if he had what he considered to be an honorable reason for his actions, some could forgive and move on. I would say men are going to be less open with their bragging around him.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think as long as plays great, and works hard, then he can at least get his teammates to respect him as a teammate.  Like Ryan Clark said recently on ESPN, the perception that guys all have to be best buddies in the locker room is complete bullshit.  Ryan even said that when you're a pro it's all about winning and money.  Winning solves everything, so if D'Angelo continues to improve his game, and helps his team win, then he can still have a great career.  Granted, nobody on the team may ever want to have beers with him after the game, or want to be his friend outside of basketball, but hey.  Michael Jordan wasn't liked by everyone that he played with, so there you go.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Don't know who the guy is, don't really care.

The so-called "Guy code" is for immature frat boys.

1. profile image0

I agree that it is immature, and in a perfect world, I personally think everyone would remember that he's only 20 YEARS OLD.  How many people make mistakes around that age?  Hell, Johnny Manziel has beaten up his ex girlfriend, and even threatened to kill her, yet people defend his sorry piece of s*** a*** by saying crap like, "Oh but he's young.  He's only 25 years old. He just needs help.  A lot of young men make mistakes around that age."  I always laugh at that because I don't give a rat's a** how old you are.  By age 12 or younger if you mature fast enough, you should already know the difference between right and wrong.  Hitting a woman under any circumstances  (unless it's a matter of life or death) is not acceptable behavior. 

Yet in accordance to so called hidden bro code, guys in sports locker rooms don't typically care.  It's only when you're perceived as a snitch that they start to care, which i find kind of sad to be honest about this situation.

To be honest, I feel ZERO SYMPATHY for Nick Young in all of this because even though he may blame D'Angelo now for his fiance wanting to break up with him, the reality is it's entirely his fault to begin with.  If he really loved his fiance, then this never would've happened.  He never would've had anything to confess, nor would his engagement be in jeopardy, so he deserves whatever he gets.  Granted, it was a punk move for D'Angelo to do what he did, and it shows an obvious sign of immaturity on his part.  However, Nick Young has nobody to blame for his girl wanting to leave him other than himself.  He can lie through the skin of his teeth all he wants about how he loves her, and Russell ruined things with her and all that.  No, he ruined it the day he started to cheat on her.  Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

However, i do feel sorry for D'Angelo in a sense that this is going to follow him throughout his entire nba career.  Guys won't trust him anymore, and people will continue to label him as nothing more than a snitch.  Hell, free agents in the nba may not even want to go to the Lakers now just because HE'S ON IT, so I do feel sorry for him in that sense because what he did was really nothing more than a stupid mistake that an immature person would make.  To quote the jerks that defend Johnny A**hole, he's only 20 freaking years old.  He made a mistake. He apologized.  he owned up to it.  How many of us make mistakes when we're that young?  As long as he knows what he did wrong, then that's all that matters.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I save my sympathy for people who are innocent of what they are accused of.

1. profile image0

fair enough

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

I don't think a sane person would secretly record a private conversation and upload it to YouTube unless it was to get revenge on the subject of the recording.  The subject of the recording must have done something  bad to the recorder and everyone on the team probably knows the deeper backstory. I don't think the peanut gallery needs to wring their hands over violations of a supposed hidden bro code.

1. profile image0

You're right that no sane person would do something like that, but D'Angelo did apologize both privately and publicly to Nick Young, and even explained his side of the story.  He said even though he did record their conversation, but he also mentioned that Nick Young was aware of it as well contrary to reports.  However what he didn't know was how it got leaked. He said recorded it on his phone for him and Nick to see only, but somehow it got out without his knowledge of it.  That's basically his story.  However, he did say that regardless of the facts that he's willing to own up to it, and make amends with everyone on the team if he can. 

As far as the peanut gallery thing you mentioned, I agree that it's a private matter between them, but the bigger question is whether or not D'Angelo can recover from this because in professional male sports its all about ego and testosterone by that point that trust plays a big issue in team chemistry.  If you're teammates don't feel like they can trust you, then how can you succeed in a team sport?  I think that's why it's such a big issue.  Not to mention, he was supposed to be the franchise player after Kobe retired this year, so how do you build a team around a guy that nobody wants to trust?  That's why it's such a big issue.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

You get trust in a group by deserving and living up to important commitments (to males and females equally)--not just by demanding it under some bullshit code. Requiring trust ("not telling") without requiring trustworthiness is not a code, its a gang.

1. profile image0

what I find most ironic about this is the fact that so many sports fans defend Johnny Manziel for beating up his ex girlfriend and THREATENING TO KILL HER, by saying crap like "Oh but he's only 25.  He's  young.  He just needs help.  Stop hating on a young man that clearly made a mistake."  Yet when it comes to a childish mistake that D'Angelo Russell made it's like, "Oh my god!  he ruined his career!  Nobody can ever trust him, or want to play with him again."  Sheesh, D'Angelo is like 5 years younger than Manziel, yet I find it ironic that everyone seems to forget that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)