Concern about placement of related articles

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years ago

It really irks me to work my butt off to create a hub, and then find that related articles from another writer here appear right at the top beside my hub instead of  my own showing first.  I do not think this is right.  I don't mind sharing, but at least show me the courtesy of listing a few of MY articles first and showing those of my competition in the second group.  The argument will, of course be, that the same is true for them, ie, that mine show up first, but I feel the same way about their situation.  Why should my work be fodder for advertising someone elses before advertising my own!

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
      Jesse Drzalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It comes off as selfish, at best. You think the others didn't work their buts off as well?

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, it's not selfish, I can see her point.  If her work is what has attracted the attention of the search engines, then she deserves to be rewarded for that. 

I think HubPages has always been ambivalent when it comes to authors.  On the one hand, they acknowledge that author expertise and authority is important.  On the other hand, they seem to be worried about authors getting too big-headed and creating too much of a brand on HP - they want the site to shine, not the individual authors. 

I've seen the balance ebb and flow over the years.  When I joined, we had a huge author photo and bio at the top of every Hub, and readers could sign up to follow our individual feed of articles.  Then the RSS feed was removed, and our photo was made so tiny you could barely see who wrote the article.  We've gone back to a more prominent author box now but it still seems a bit unbalanced.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

You totally missed my point.  I don't think my work should serve to advertise the work of other people FIRST.  I don't mind if they are placed next.  I think that's fair.  I wouldn't expect my work to be advertised first on someone else's hubs either.   You've always been quick to criticize, but before you do, you should make sure you completely understand what is being said here.  Read Marissa's post here, and you'll see what I mean.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

TT2, As you mentioned, the same is true for them. That means that you are getting traffic from visitors who see your hub listed in other people's hubs.

Take a look at your traffic sources and see how much traffic you're getting from HubPages. That's where that traffic is coming from.

Besides, your own hubs are listed at the top of your hubs under the "more" link.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

If people like what you've written at most they are going to open the related articles in new tabs. I totally get your point, but what I do is interlink within the text of my hub if I think an article would be helpful. I get a lot of traffic flowing across like this.

If HP gives authors the option to pick hubs that go in the related section you'd put only related hubs, but what about the others? Most would just put in their hubs whether relevant or not.

Personally, to better the user experience I think HP should give us an option to enter keywords. Upto 3 and not more. And they should use those keywords to match hubs (content of hubs and not the keywords someone entered) else you could game the system again to just show your own hubs.

The reason I say this is because very often on my Range Hood hubs I see articles on Car hoods, etc. If I had the option to pick: Range, hood, stove for instance, it would surely match stuff up better. I bet the car hood article has no mention of range or stove.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)