Big Rig?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Gendarme profile image59
    Gendarmeposted 14 years ago

Can the hub traffic statistics be rigged? Can anyone explain how the numerical columns are computed? I am not too savvy with figures.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Gosh, this was asked two months ago. Nobody has an answer? I don't think they're rigged, but I don't know, myself, how to answer this. I think if you try to stack up your own numbers they will know... Bringing it back up.....

Gendarmeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Greater things have happened when dealing with computer matters, and I am glad that you have brought up a little history. I might not have been around long enough to know all of that. Perhaps it's my fault not to have done the necessary reasearch to discover things for myself. However, since I thought that one way of getting around reinventing the wheel was to ask someone, that was my reason for resorting to the forum. However, since it is a bother to ask questions freely, I will keep my interrogations to myself in future. How wrong I was in thinking that a forum was meant to meet and interact with people on common grounds!

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

If you're not too savvy then how have you determined they may be rigged? Rigged how? For what purpose?

I really don't understand what you don't understand about the columns.  They are clearly marked.  It's a rolling 24 hours for day, etc.  It's not real time, there is a lag.  If you watch them regularly you can see how that comes into play.

Do you have a more specific question?

Where in my question have I intimated that the numbers may have been rigged? I simply asked a question, the answer for which would rule out that possibility. I don't know much about figures, but I have enough understanding to watch patterns. From my observation, when the hub traffic increases, the hub score also increases. Then suddenly I noticed that there was something ad hoc about one hub, in that the hub traffic stats was constantly on the increase, while the hubsore was constantly on the decrease. Do I not have a plausible reason to try and figure out the discrepancy? People have different experiences and levels of understanding about this different dimension in writing. If you think that any question that I pose is below your level of intelligence to address, then I strongly suggest that you forego it in future. Thank you.

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow. what the heck? every time I pop into the real question forums, I see wierd questions, and KCC actaully answering them, then gettting all ...ruded at...sheesh...?

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not too savvy in forum etiquette either, huh?  I was merely trying to help you.  My strong suggestion to you, is to be clearer about your actual question when posting to the forum and to be a bit more polite to those who try to help you.  You sent out the invitation.  We showed up to help.  Take what is helpful and discard the rest.  That's the way it works.

4. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I don't think KCC was insulting you. I think the intention was that the numbers are directly related to how many ppl look at your hub, and probably can't be rigged. They may not reflect real time, but it catches up shortly. Rigging the page views wouldn't affect a hubber's income, so it wouldn't be fruitful to do for anyone.

People here are meaning to help,  but tone of voice is hard to convey in writing. Don't be upset or discouraged as the main intention is to help.

Have a good day!
    *S.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Just because a Hub has an increase in traffic does not mean it's score will be going up.  Part of what influences that is quality of visitor interaction.

You might have something that draws a lot of eyeballs but actually results in people leaving the Hub rather quickly as it's not what the title intimated, or the content is really poor quality.  Or maybe the visitors decide to give the Hub a thumb's down.  A hub that draws traffic and which results in visitors staying to read it and interacting positively is what's going to get a HubScore that goes up.

It's not rigged...

Again, let me reemphasize, I did not say that the hubscore was rigged, though I did not rule out the possibility. Depending on answers like yours I would draw my conclusion. I base my stance on the fact that the computer world is full of underhanded misdemeanors, and so I have to keep my eyes open in anything I do online. Let me also reiterate my observation. A hub was established. It kicked off moderately before picking up some speed.  The hubscore increased when I sent out over five hundred emails using my two email accounts. Then it plateaued while the traffic shot up significantly. I also stopped sending out emails and the traffic lulled. Then the hubscore started to increase while the traffic stood still. Then as soon as I started sending out emails again, the traffic went on the increase, and the hubscore started to plummet. That would confuse anybody!

1. profile image0

lol your right, Im confused!!?? what were your emails and what does that have to do with...  "Can the hub traffic statistics be rigged? Can anyone explain how the numerical columns are computed? I am not too savvy with figures."
        I really thought you just didnt understand the columns...why would anyone, reading your original question, think you meant all....THAT??!!!
        To be clear, I have no idea what your talking about, and I am not trying to be rude. Just telling ya, Im confused...

As far as I wanted from posting this question it was a 'yes' or 'no' answer. Anything else was immaterial. I didn't have to explain anything what was going through my mind. It's either yes it can be rigged, or no it can't be rigged, or I don't know if it can be rigged. Now, from the look of it by the way people are skirting around the topic, it seems as if there is no conclusive answer. So my guess is as good as anyone else's. The other question about the columns is quite straightforward as well. If you have the time to indulge in a precis of the topic, or to refer me to somewhere that that topic has been addressed, that would have been great. I really never meant for this to be a diatribe.

1. profile image0

ok sorry. My honset to goodness answer is... I have no idea if IS rigged. I am sure it CAN be rigged. I dont personally care one way or the other if it is or isnt. I felt as though your question got answered then you got mad and added to the question. I am sure I misunderstood something. Sorry.

2. profile image0
          3. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont think your guess is a good as anyone else's.

Conclusive answer.

No the stats are not rigged - use analytics a 3rd party stats program and see almost real time stats.

The column layout is so blatantly obvious..im surprised people were able to stay so calm when you questioned their intelligence after asking such a question.

What and who benefits from rigging the stats? How is that even a real question?

is your real question, how is traffic related to hubscore? because that was answered for you too...and has been answered hundreds of times

hubscore means so very little, the sooner you forget about it better..well, some of the things that would increase your hubscore, would benefit all your readers, currently you have big chunks of text with little to no formatting, no pictures, no links..no variety in general...adding these things will increase your individual hubscore.

what makes me laugh is your current belief that your 500 emails led to "significant traffic" ...id wager you got less than 20 views as a result of those emails unless you are Vernon Augustus Brooks ..than I would say you got a better return but may be quickly diluting your respectability with such practices

2. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

May I ask who the 500 emails were sent to?

1. profile image0

you may, but Im not sure you'll get an answer. I was wonderingthe same thing.

2. Gendarme profile image59

If it really matters, to schools that might be interested in the topic since it was an academic issue.

1. darkside profile image62

It does matter.

You spammed 500 schools.

Now it's getting more interesting, as I wondered if that might have had something to do with my observation. But could you explain how deleterious that action was, please? And how that might have affected my standing?

1. darkside profile image62

It may have had an effect. Not direct. Not "I've sent out these 500 emails and the immediate result is I lose traffic". But it can quickly have an indirect effect.

I'll assume you're new to the ways of the internet. So I'll explain a little background.

The emails you sent out would be considered Unsolicited Bulk Email.

Unsolicited, because they didn't ask for it. Bulk, because there's 500 of them.

UBE, or spam, is a serious no-no on the internet. You might feel that you're doing them a service or a favour, but you're not. To them you're just another spammer.

If you were to contact 500 people at HubPages and told them to check out your hub, you could likely get banned. When I get an email that is obviously bulk, I click on the 'spam' link at the bottom of the message. That flags it to the HP system.

I'll speculate further... if say 10% of the recipients of your email reported you to HubPages HQ for the email you sent, best case scenario you'd get a very stern warning. Or an outright ban and account deletion.

Generally speaking, this has nothing to do with traffic or HubScore. But I thought I'd bring it up so you can avoid making the same mistake again. As the results could effect your HubPage and Adsense accounts.

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate your time and effort. You have done great justice to my understanding of these operations.

6. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

whats the importance of hubscore? I assumed it went up when people voted it up. If it was a high number, it would be more likely to be on google?

7. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

if anyone who can do this is reading, if it is possable to rig the numbers, I would like all my hub scores to be 69 please...

8. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I'm only good with numbers when it comes to my paycheck

9. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I will point out that the title of your question is Big Rig?  Maybe that was my clue that you were implying they were rigged. 

Thanks Justine.

1. profile image0

HAHAHAHAHAH I only opened the thread becuase I actually thought it was going to be about trucks!! There seems to be a run on people asking obscure questions then jumpign down the throat of anyone who answers!! Oh well...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)