Meat or no Meat

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image56
    Gracious Octoberposted 14 years ago

If we can supplement the nutritional value of meat with other foods than why are we still killing the animals to eat? Is it just because they taste so good?

1. Lady_E profile image72
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I read a good Hub on the Benefits of being a Vegetarian or how to become a Vegetarian - it might persuade me to stop eating meat. smile

2. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not all just about taste.  There are some (not all) humans who must include a certain amount of meat in their diets to maintain reasonable health.  For those people (and I've found myself to be one of them), all of the vegan protein balancing in the world won't keep them bright and bushy tailed.

It is also known to foster independence.  War leaders from time immemorial have known enough to refuse their prisoners meat from the moment they were/are captured.  Without meat in the diet, they (the prisoners) are more docile, weaker on the whole, and more easily controlled.  Probably the best illustration of this was a boxing short story titled A Piece of Steak (by Jack London?).

In the story, an experienced but also aging fighter is extremely poor.  He's been undefeated in his small circle, a town where fighters somewhat come and go--18th or 19th century--but has a decent bout coming up.  He asks his wife to get him a piece of steak for his supper before the fight, but she cannot.  They have no money, their credit with the grocer will stretch no farther, and he is forced by their poverty to climb into the ring without any meat in his system.

Even so, he nearly wins.  He knows the game better than most, certainly better than his young challenger.  But the youngster is fresher, stronger, and at the end knocks out the old man.  Crushed, defeated, depressed, it is only then that he understands what it must have been like for his predecessor when the now ancient warrior had been the young challenger.  It's over; his future is bleak.

All for a piece of steak.

3. ANTI-CRUSADER profile image56
      ANTI-CRUSADERposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing wrong in killing Halal (permitted) animals in a Halal way for food. It seems you are suggesting plants as a substitue for meat but plants as you know, are also living beings. Therefore plants as per your analogy, must also not be killed and eaten.

4. archdaw profile image59
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes!!  There is nothing like a good grilled, roasted, fried, sauted, oven baked, or rotisiried piece of meat.  Did I forget other ways of cooking them.

1. The Rope profile image60
        The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stewed.

2. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

My boys insist.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We like eating dead animals that have been abused and suffered a horrible death for our eating pleasure. Next question.

1. profile image56
      Gracious Octoberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you asking me seriously or are you trying to pull my chain?

4. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Yes, because they are delicious and nutritious.

1. profile image56
      Gracious Octoberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes they are but why if we don't HAVE to.

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then where would we get delicious from?

1. The_Boss profile image58
          The_Bossposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No where, meat is good. Just deal with it. Humans are omnivores and we eat meat and plants. Has it ever occurred to anyone that there are other animals that eat other animals? Common sense people. How could you live without bacon anyway?

1. ediggity profile image60
            ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was saving bacon as my trump card.  Good point.  Who could argue with that?

5. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

What would you do with all of the wild deer and domestic cows pigs and chickens, turn them loose, put them on birth control, put them in zoos?

6. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I am a vegetarian but I think humanity will never stop eating meat.
    I don't mind, I just hate that I always have to explain myself if someone finds out I'm a vegetarian. hmm I don't go preaching about it yet somehow some find it offensive.

I'm a million times healthier with meat. And, there are people who eat meat that are healthy too. Really, it's a choice. hmm I function fine without meat.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no problems with vegans.  Some of my best friends are saladians.

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

If I am at a dinner table and someone is a vegetarian that is their choice. It should be no issue to anyone. The way I see it is that I can have a larger portion of the meat on the table then.

8. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Heheh, my post meant to say "I'm a million times healthier without meat (personally..." How'd I miss that. xD

9. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I need lots of bloody beef to get by.  That just me...

10. retellect profile image72
    retellectposted 14 years ago

Um, I still have my canine teeth. Until I evolve them away or lose them.........I best make use of them! Chicken is really tasty too! I just can't live without the stuff neutral

11. profile image56
    Gracious Octoberposted 14 years ago

I was just curious.

12. Mocha Momma profile image61
    Mocha Mommaposted 14 years ago

Hm,

Interesting topic.  I don't eat pork, and the only source of a living animal/creature my munchkin gets is seafood/poultry, no pork or red meat.  He's completely healthy.  I do eat red meat, I miss the taste of bacon something fierce and haven't found a comparable substitute just yet.  (Though I do eat nitrate free turkey bacon)... 

Still not the same, I use it (turkey bacon) to give certain vegetables great flavor...  (kale, collards, spinach, etc), it's like a quick infusion with fresh garlic, and onions without over cooking...

I like to eat meat in some meals, and in others, I like to have non meat meals, it really depends on my mood.  I do not eat pork, because of things like tapeworms on the brain and a host of other parasites that take hold in one's body as a result of a diet filled with pork consumption. 

However, that doesn't prevent me from serving it to others, I just do not eat it... 

I also welcome vegetarians and vegans in my home, because I respect their choice/lifestyle and make sure I have food on hand for their tastes as well.

13. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I wish I could be a vegan, but I love meat. I just hate the suffering animals have to go through. I wish there was a more humane way to kill them. I wish they had a better quality life before we "harvest" them for food. Hunting is the most humane method. The animals live free their entire lives, and then one day - bang. If it's a good shot, they're killed immediately. I think for my next beef, I'm going to go "hunting" at Randy Godwin's cattle farm! It's only 12 or 13 miles from me.

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

we eat animals? lol

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And...sometimes...animals eat us.  lol lol

One of my favorite quotes in the epic fantasy series by Robert Jordan comes from Rand Al Thor as he faces a pack of devil dogs in the middle of the night with a literal sword of fire:

"I'M NO EASY MEAT!!"

15. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

There have been a number of experiments to show that there is the possibility of plants feeling pain. And of many vegetarians not having a balanced diet.
    I personally feel lean, red meat is a healthier option than fowl - though I'm sure most people wouldn't agree!

16. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

Unfortunatly, I love steak too much to be vegan..
    I am an animal activist, but I am only in a human body right now that really enjoys a nice, juicy, tender cut of beef ..but not too often, for me it is a reward

17. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Let's look at this just a little differently.  What about us?  Meat is or used to be good protein sorce, but my dr. informs me that now the beef is given so much hormones so they grow fast and big($$$$$), and so much antibiotics to keep them from getting sick(MORE$$$$) that many people are having reactions that they don't even know what is causing it from getting second hand cow dope.  and everyone is worried about second hand smoke, jeeeze.  I was getting headaches, blurred vision, and forgetfulness from it, and in the milk too.

18. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 14 years ago

I'm sure if meat was bad for us they wouldn't have invented the Atkins diet.... plus i bet all these people who don't eat meat because of artificial blah blah... if we gave them a fresh piece of deer meat that was hunted in the wild and killed the proper way, they still wouldn't eat it. then they would say that we killed Bambi or something. instead of being sooooooo one sided these people should stop thinking about what not to eat and the reasons not to eat them, and enjoy everything, and think of good reasons to eat them! I love all meat, even weird stuff like buche burritos (pig stomach), turtle soup, or crocodile. Yum! Why? Because I only live once, so if I find something that tastes good I'm going to eat it.

There is nothing more attractive then a women who can cook a damn good steak and eat it too.

1. ddsurfsca profile image69
      ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  19. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Free range meats are readily available in most areas now and the ones I've tried are really exceptional. I personally have to have meat in my diet - after a few days of no meat, my body really craves it.  But for those veggan's who can hack it - Congrats!  I was just never able to reach this pinnacle.

20. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I like to eat pork and beef and meat of animals with rice, but I cant eat that large because I have small built and can only take so much, like half of pork chop is fine with me, I eat more vegetables now and fish. I grew up eating mostly meat because thats what my father likes and my mother always follow what my father says, and cooks meat

21. The Rope profile image60

Good Morning PDH!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good am ROPE! how are you?

22. The Rope profile image60

Crazy here, itching to get back to writing hubs but having to focus eleswhere and won't post a sub-par hub so contenting myself with forums right now.  Been following your posts a lot recently - Congrats on your work and your posts.  You're up to 76 hubs now!  Fantastic!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks Rope, you should write a love story, i will read it, its ok, forum is also enlightening nand you contribute a lot to it! I write everyday because it is my outlet, lots of things going on, so I need to be busy....

23. Jeff Brendan profile image61
    Jeff Brendanposted 14 years ago

We eat meat because its delicious (and I think the animal (beast) inside us want to be satisfied).

24. bukan profile image61
    bukanposted 14 years ago

Its a rude nature rules we kill animals for our self and they kill another little animals for their self, its a chain process, debate every time occured. smile

25. profile image0
    cazortposted 14 years ago

I eat meat because I feel better when I eat meat.  I do not, however, feel good when I eat large quantities of red meat.  I've experimented a lot with my diet.  I think a balanced and diverse diet is the way to go.  Personally, I also think seafood is probably a lot healthier than meat from land animals and it's probably better to eat more of it.

If you're going to talk about cruelty to animals, don't talk about eating meat, talk about factory farming.  That's cruel...and it creates a food source that is unhealthy and causes all sorts of health problems--not to mention the ecological problems either.

In an ideal world, I think animals would all roam wild and we'd go out and hunt them when we wanted something to eat, or we'd fish and trap and gather seafood from the tidal zones.  The meat would be leaner and more flavorful that way, and probably much healthier for us than the stuff grown in big agribusiness operations under awful conditions.

1. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ew, actually seafood has lots of mercury in it.
      There was a big study recently testing just how high the levels and mercury and other stuff were in fish and the results were scary.

I'll try to find the article...but basically the point was if you are a meat eater seafood wasn't the best choice. :s

Denno you aren't a carnivore though. sad

26. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Carnivores rock!!!

27. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I only eat occasional chicken and beef.

28. FemaleAbs profile image40
    FemaleAbsposted 14 years ago

Even though I know meat provides complete amino acids, I read about animals being bred and caged for life just for their meat all the time. It is saddening.

Chickens have their beaks removed so they won't peck each other out of stress. They have been overfed until their legs can't support their weight.

Cows are castrated live and you can hear their screams. Their blood drips down the cage.

It is unfortunate that most people get their meats from these sources.

What we should do if we are going to consume meat is buy from organic sources like grass-fed beefs or free range chicken eggs. These animals get to bath in sun, roam around the grass and do what do naturally. Their product much healthier than those bred in factories.

Beware some food are not really organic even if they say so. Look for the "USDA Organic seal".

29. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

What country you from femaleabs?
    Cows don't have b---s.
    Cows aren't bred in factories.
    Why castrate a dead animal?

30. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

I thought they had to keep the animals from being stressed because of how it affects the meat quality. Better quality, more $$, so it's in their own self-interest NOT to 'torture' the animals.

Never have liked meat myself but everyone else in my family does.

31. Lita C. Malicdem profile image61
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

"Meat or no meat"-what a difficult choice! I will just stay at the happy middle- eat meat now and then, but not daily. Eat fish and veggies most often instead. "Nutritious and delicious" are not my prime criteria for eating food, but "health food" is.

Happy "healthy eating" my friends!

32. Fresh_Flower profile image60
    Fresh_Flowerposted 14 years ago

Well, I'm not a big fan of meat anymore. I saw a study of men in the Philipines who ate too much chicken, they (the men) got so called "bitch tits" (pardon my French), thanks to all the hormones that farmers give to the chickens. With all the chemicals they feed the animals there must be something rotten.

If you see the number of fat people in our world I think we could live on water and bread for a while.

33. G Miah profile image77
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

Meat!!!! Yam Yam! Especially beef and lamb! Love it to bits! Vegetables, yam yam aswell!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)