ARE YOU A PROBLEM THINKER?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Gaget Girl profile image68
    Gaget Girlposted 15 years ago

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was> thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking!

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is a definite problem for me.  I quit my day job because it was so repetitious and boring.  I need to think, to use my mind, or I go quite insane.  Working online writing articles keeps me calm.

On the downside, I overanalyze people and relationships, so that's something I'm trying to work on.

2. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

Hail superficiality big_smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I am not understanding the point of reproducing other people's work to open a forum thread.

The least you could do is credit them with saying it?

http://bobgeiger.blogspot.com/2005/04/r … inker.html

http://raft.wash.org/thinkers.html

Although this one is as widely disseminated as the English one so I don't know who it was said by.

4. Gaget Girl profile image68

Mark, chill out dude! It's all for a bit of fun! I found something funny and I wanted to share it.

isn't that what the hubber's hangout is for?

smile

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Absolutely. But it is fair to credit whoever wrote it rather than giving the impression they are your words, don't you think?

smile

1. profile image0
      Ananta65posted 15 years agoin reply to this

The answer should be here somewhere big_smile

6. Gaget Girl profile image68

Of course! Ill do it next time then... wink

7. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

This is a great piece, Mark, Bob Geiger, where the piece was extracted, doesn't know the source so 'author unknown' until he/she is found. 

I personally would like to join Thinkers Anonymous, do you know of any clinics?

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We can create one right here. We'll have quite a few patients on Hugpages smile

8. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

It started out innocently enough!

lol

9. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

I love thinking! My brain is always running a mile a minute.

10. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Please let me STOP thinking!! Just sometimes!! Please!!!roll

1. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Empathy, loads of it, chocolate on top even. yikes

What would be the 12 steps program for problem thinkers?

1.Admit we were powerless over thoughts - that our lives have become unmanageable.

2. Come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of a higher power that has more control over our thoughts, even if you think there is noone controlling your thoughts.

4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of negative thought forms.

5. Admit to  anyone who will listen, the exact nature of our incessant mind.

6. Be ready to have defective thoughts removed from our psyche.by said higher power.

7. Humbly asked that higher power to remove any other shortcomings while attending to the incessant thoughts issue. (The line is open - use it!)

8. Make a list of all persons we have bored silly with the expression of senseless thinking and ask them to be patient while change of thought patterns occurs.

9. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.  ie, don't force people to forgive you.  They may be in the process of their own therapy as a result of the expression of your thoughts.

10. Continue to take personal ownership for future thoughts that escape and cause injury to the innocent.

2. profile image0
      Ananta65posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Aspirations to run for president on behalf of the Republicans? wink

11. Gaget Girl profile image68

Well... If we all want to look at it in a positive way, at least we use our noggins! Way better than not using them at all lol smile

12. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I don't think.  I reckon and sometimes muse.  Perhaps a pondering here and there.  But never think.  Absolutely refuse.  Nothing good can come of it I say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)