Will the Bears Fire Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. kingis profile image68
    kingisposted 14 years ago

Hey everyone,
       I wanted to gather opinions about the Chicago Bears firing Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo at the end of the season.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish they would get rid of Lovie...and follow the suggestion on the Bleacherreport and pick up Mike Shanahan.

2. jmwevh profile image60
      jmwevhposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wold say it is highly possible. But you never know...

2. Gale Force profile image59
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

I like Lovie as a person, but the Bears just aren't doing well. Of course they gave up too much for Cutler, so it will be hard for them to rebuild. Lovie deserves his job more than Zorn deserves his, though!

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

Angelo should be fired for the Jay Cutler trade alone. Even if he had been everything they thought he was going to be, they gave way more than they ever should have to get him. And I've yet to figure out why everybody was so convinced he was such an amazing player in the first place.

4. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

Lovie should be history along with Angelo. Chicago needs to rebuild and it needs to do it fast if they are going to try and keep up with Vikings & Packers. They need help in WR position definitely and their defense has a lot of holes to fill as well. Good luck Bears!

5. Diskobolos profile image59
    Diskobolosposted 14 years ago

I think if they win next week in Detroit and finish 7-9 Lovie will stay. If they lose he might be out...

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they lose to Detroit they should all get on the bus and head anywhere but Chicago. After last night, the potential of the team to perform is there and with the recovery of the top half of the defense and just maybe a another decent receiver the Bears could be on track. The history of the Bears is they only fire the coach when they get beat by Detroit, Green Bay, and Minnesota twice in the same year by all three. Like it or not that seems to be managements standard. If they come out 50/50 or above in the old black and blue division Lovie will be there in 2010. Go Bears!

6. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

In a word, the two are...

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1419377192662&id=fff96e04d3563d33c07ab94c9d3cb53a&url=http%3a%2f%2fendingb.net%2fimages%2ftoast.png

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Technically, that's a picture, not a word.

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
        wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eye . .
        I bet you never colored outside the lines...

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
          EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't recognize the authority of lines.

7. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Not after beating the Vikings!
    They will think they are on their way again, until halfway thru next season.

8. fishtiger58 profile image70
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I sometimes think Lovie is to laid back to be a football coach. He is practically comatose. But the Bears looked good last night. Wooo Hooooo

9. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I say fire the offensive co-ordinator. Lovie Smith lost the heart and soul of his defense In game 1. And Jay Cutler was a pocket passer most of the season, when he does his best work scrambling outside the hashmarks. They do need some more defensive help though. And Lovie Smith is one of the best defensive minds in the game

10. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

And someone needs to fire Bill Sheridan ;;P

11. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

If they don't fire Lovie Smith after this season, then the owner of the Chicago Bears should be labeled the new dumbest owner in the history of sports right next to James Dolan, whom owns the knicks.  why is dolan dumb?  well he didn't fire isiah thomas for so many freaking years, so enough said.

12. Enigmatic Me profile image79
    Enigmatic Meposted 14 years ago

The problems with the Bears stemmed long before they took the field this season. That said, Lovie isn't the hard nosed Tom Coughlin that he needs to be. I'm not saying he turns into TC, but atleast gives the perception that changes need to happen, or that he cares a little too much from time to time. The soft approach obviously does not work.

Losing Urlacher (although he's getting up there in age) was a huge knock against the leadership. They got rid of Mike Brown - likely second in command and a real leader by example when healthy. He could have been kept on as a mentor to the new DB's, but they let him go. Tillman was in and out of the rotation with scrapes and bruises, and as much as Roach and Payne stepped in where they could, it didn't seem they had a leader in those positions (Briggs being the exception) LB, DB, CB.

We can all harp on the OC for bad calls, or point out that the Rotation of Hester, Aromashadu, Bennett, Knox, Davis, Olson, and Clark was ill-prepared for the 09 season; that Cutler is a big show kinda guy who forced WAY too many passes and lost confidence through most of the season - either that he lost confidence in the OC calls..... but say what you will, the last 2 games were a taste of what Cutler can do. 8 TDs to 1 Int in the last 2 games. I see 2010 as a solidifying year with the O being in the same ballpark, and the D sured up with healthy players. It didn't help they had injuries on the O Line.

I kinda thought they would have gone old school and obtained Marvin Harrison as a Mentor for the new WRs, and picked up some insurance on the back end DB or CB. A Proven #2 RB would be a wonderful thing to have as well. Or atleast the belief in Peterson/Wolfe or Bell so that they could have a 2 or 3 headed monster like most teams. Their running game became their only game and Forte, as talented as he is... couldn't do it all.

So, here's to a better 2010, and back in the playoff picture we come!

13. barongrafft profile image59
    barongrafftposted 14 years ago

It's easy to fire off a knee=jerk reaction and say that Lovie Smith should lose his job.  The facts are as follows:
    1) The Bears were plagued by an unusal amount of injuries this year...losing Urlacher was nothing short of catastrophic.
    2) Lovie didn't make the Cutler trade and shouldn't have to fall on that sword...not that I'm sure there's a sword to fall on there.
    3) It's not like making a change at Head Coach guarantees an immediate change of fortune...if anything that suggests the beginning of a longer rebuilding process.

Honestly Bears fans...tell me you watched Kyle Orton getting OWNED by the Chiefs last week and said "I wish we had THAT guy back!"  Cutler isn't the problem, the Bears don't have a premiere Wide Receiver...no Devin Hester doesn't count.  The O-Line struggled.  And the running game was anemic this season.  Give Jay Cutler 2 of those 3 things and you're in the playoffs instead of Green Bay.

If you want to call the GM into question, fine.  But don't cite the Jay Cutler trade as an example of a mistake.  Instead ask the question, why haven't the Bears drafted/traded for/developed a legitimate #1 Wide Receiver.

14. ShaunMasterton profile image59
    ShaunMastertonposted 14 years ago

As others pointed out, injuries hurt the bears big time. Losing Urlacher and Tinoisamoa for season was just to much for bears defence to cope.

Our running game wasn't great but I suspect if we didn't lose Kevin Jones to a season ending injury, it would have been better.

I personally feel Cutler played with a lot of pressure on him, after such a big trade. That at times he did force a lot of passes but it wasn't all his fault. He did have a young receiving core and the offensive line stuggled due to it being filled with new pieces that need time to gel as one unit.

As of today, we know both Jerry and Lovie are safe but Ron Turner and most of the other offensive coaches have been fired. Also been made clear that next season is Lovie's last chance, which I totally support.

someone said about being surprised the bears didn't go an get Marvin Harrison. Generally agree with the theory, as I felt an expericened receiver would be great for the young guns to learn from, but I felt Torry Holt would have been better.

Still think our young receivers did well this season and will get better with each season.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)