Edits on published Hubs go live each time a capsule is saved

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. schwarz profile image71
    schwarzposted 9 years ago

Okay, how come edits I make to lenses that just were imported to Hubs are being shown real-time to my Hub readers even though I have not yet clicked the button to republish them?

My "old" HubPages accounts don't act like this.  I consider this to be a huge problem as I do not want readers on my most-trafficked properties watching me rearrange things six times while I try and figure out how to best turn a lens into a Hub. 

And if this is how things have to be so that the imported content is viewable, why wasn't anyone told?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My account has always behaved this way.

Keep your Hub open in two browsers as you edit, refresh one browser after you edit, and you'll see that the edit is live.

Once someone is visiting your Hub, they won't see each new change you are making unless they refresh the page, which they probably won't do.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine, too.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@schwarz This is how HubPages has always worked.  If you edit a published Hub, the changes are reflected as you edit.  The only option is to unpublish the Hub and edit it, then republish.  Of course, readers that visit during this time frame will see a 404 page. 

I think the best option is to edit them one at a time and try and get them in a decent readable state quickly.  Most visitors don't refresh the page as they're reading, so they won't see the changes until they visit again.

2. profile image0
    fluffanuttaposted 9 years ago

What if you view the hub in another browser, while not logged in?

The same thing happens.

3. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Which means we're missing a key aspect of basic functionality from Squidoo i.e. the ability to change an already published lens and for those changes to be saved automatically BUT not published until you hit the publish button

It's a basic fundamental for developing and updating sites and a VERY major change if all changes on already published lenses publish straight away at HP.

It's really not a problem here. If you don't like your edit, just edit it again.

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Obviously if you have not been used to this type functionality you may well not appreciate why it might be a problem.

I'd prefer to hear from managers rather than opinions. The only opinions which count in relation to changes are those of the managers.

This is a community for Squidoo lensmasters - where we can raise issues and problems. Please allow lensmaster to do this.

1. mattforte profile image88
          mattforteposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I can tell you're going to be incredibly successful here.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92

+1

2. Writer Fox profile image31

It's important to make a mark for oneself in a new venue.big_smile big_smile

1. profile image0
              calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I lol'ed.

3. makingamark profile image70

No - I'm just going through a process of transition and I'm only really interested in hearing facts from people who matter and not opinions as to what might or might not happen in the future.

roll

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Anyone may post on this forum, and you are certainly welcome to post here.  If you just want the opinion of employees,  use this form:
          http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

Until you actually have an article here to edit, you probably don't fully understand how the editing process works here.  It's really not a problem and is fast and easy.

3. profile image0

If you do not want to read commentary from the peanut gallery -- be it germane, irrelevant, polite, brusque, or otherwise -- then either avert your eyes or send your concern directly to management via this help-wizard email form   http://hubpages.com/email/help/  I have done this myself several times when I did not think my issue warranted public discussion, and on weekdays they usually get back to you within 48 hours.  Best of luck to you on HubPages.

1. makingamark profile image70

Well I would do that - and already have - however this particular part of the community was set up specifically for Squidoo lensmasters.

I really did think people would allow us to get on with having discussions between lensmasters and management - about issues and problems arising which relate to the transfer - rather than making fun of lensmasters or worse still being rude about them.

1. profile image0

Not to further derail this thread, but there is no mechanism that prevents non-staff from commenting on any threads except for forum bans issued to individual users.  So you must find a way to ignore the commentary or make peace with it. Replying to it tends to encourage it.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92

Actually, Writer Fox and I were originally addressing Relache (Schwarz). Writer Fox merely pointed out that the problem reported by Relache isn't new, and I confirmed this. We were drawing on our years of experience on HubPages.

Relache either hasn't noticed this problem during her eight years on HubPages, or has never had this problem, unlike Writer Fox and me. So, to recap, all Writer Fox and I have done is confirm that the problem isn't unique to Relache, and isn't new, which means it could be something that really does need fixing. This has nothing to do with 'opinions'.

@WF and Relache: I remember this issue being reported in the forums some years ago, but can't find the thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)