leaked memo from hubpages strategy meeting

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

LEAKED MEMO FROM HUBPAGES STRATEGY MEETING:

Jason: "Geez guys - It's Taking Too Much Time to identify the banned topics."

Paul: "OK - I've thought of a new message. Put this onto all hubs immediately:
    "WARNING. This hub contains WORDS. To avoid the risk of being unpublished, please remove all words from your hubs immediately".

Jason, Maddie, et al: "Brilliant. That will make our job easier"

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Geez............. don't mince word you Tasmanians. lol lol lol

Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, it seems to be going that way Earnest :-)

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been lucky so far, I have been allowed to keep some words in my hubs, but I guess they'll catch up with me soon. smile

2. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perfect. smile

3. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well mate, I see you are following the this allegedly Leaked Memo to the very word.
      Hmm... Or NOT smile

Hi Foxy,
        I unpublished my remaining hubs last week to make things easier for the greatly overworked HP staff.
        I can see no point in leaving my content here any more, and have no confidence in the actions of HP to address the situation that caused the recent problems.
        Some of their recent directives show that either they have no clue about what they are doing, or that they are culling the existing herd of writers and hubs to prepare for a new direction.

cheers, Eric G.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WoW.. Eric and Eric that was a bit drastic...
          But I Know How Professionally Ethical you are in real life.. So I guess you are telling us to Wake Up?
          I hope this BS is sorted out without or before an excellent community (The VERY STRENGTH) of this site is Destroyed (for whatever reason!) roll

All I can do is call it as I see it.
            And I think that much of the heart of the community has already left the building.
            cheers, Eric G.

Well Mate.. If that's the case... Then Incompetence really is a Driving Force that has exposed the site's vulnerability to current and future competitors, thus supporting everything that most of us have been saying fruitlessly sad

4. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Brilliant. I totally identify with this Eric

2. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

and dont forget we cant have images, so look forward to a lot of blank hubs

3. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

OK Y'all,I'm gonna let you in on the secret of how to avoid flags etc.It's a little known fact that those automated warnings pick up on"Vowels"...remove all vowels from your hubs and-t'll b jst fn-SEE!...Looks good too.All my hubs make just as much sense this way as they did before.

AMAZING!! yikes

I can't believe it... that after 2 years.. YOU Have FINALLY said something FUNNY!  big_smile

Let it NOT BE the Last Time Cheap! hmm
      Obviously, changing your diet has worked big_smile
      Good On You!

4. Sweetsusieg profile image75
    Sweetsusiegposted 12 years ago

I'm thinking that HubPages is becoming another 'cookie cutter' based website.  Everything that they want posted has been posted elsewhere only the words changed around a bit 'How to make money' seems to be the theme here on HubPages and if you don't have those words in your Hubs they are flagged. 

I've had to pull 2 of my best worded Hubs ie; creative writing... Because they were 'too' personal.  They didn't tell anyone how to do anything. 

On I go to find more Hubs to pull before those are flagged as well...  I guess HubPages is no longer a writing site, more of an ad site.  Oh well life goes on, things change.

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should have just given them a 'book'title and changed them to third person - then it is a story and highly regarded and unique content - apparently.

Good Point C smile

1. recommend1 profile image61
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

as long as it hasn't got any 'words' in it big_smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67

Really?

Surely Not.. For at least 2 years it has been promoted to all of us that we are able to write from a personal level of knowledge!
      However, if being 'too personal' is as it intimates, from say a privacy perspective.. then I agree with the tightening up.

- You're a better writer than that S... smile

1. Sweetsusieg profile image75
        Sweetsusiegposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The one was an 'instructive' Hub...  Reminding people to tell the ones they love that they are loved before death takes us all...   Yet it was considered too personal and removed for just that reason.  First the picture was flagged, so I removed that.  Then before it could be published, it was flagged for being too personal, so I removed it. 

The next one I removed because it was obviously personal "crying wolf'...  About my son..

The 3 rd I just removed today.  It has been unpublished since Friday...  Posting them elsewhere... Where as of this time, personal stuff is accepted.

5. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

Good News.
    Everything At Hubpages is back to normal.

The signin page currently says that you can write about any topic that you like!

If it's on their front page, then it MUST be true.

So don't you worry about any banned topics. Just toddle off and write about anything you like me dears!

(Seeing that this post has been moved from the Hubbers Hangout to the satire and parody section, I thought that I better write some)

1. theherbivorehippi profile image64
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

I have been reserved in what I have said about HP staff thus far. I am genuinely trying to be fair and hope that some sense or pattern will appear through the mist. However I have to say that moving this thread from the Hubbers Hangout to satire and parody looks rather childish.

To some, the concerns being voiced are anything but satirical and the only parody so far is that of HP parodying there previously unsettling actions by moving this thread. Well it would be parody if it was amusing but IMO I doubt if humour was the reason for the move.

HP staff, I can only see the divide between the people you depend on widen if this kind of tactic is repeated every time a Hubber feels devalued, used or stood on enough to become vocal.

1. Sweetsusieg profile image75
      Sweetsusiegposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Write what you know"... that has been the theme all along correct?  I'm guessing that has changed?  Now has it become 'write what you guess about'?  I'm not a worldly person, never going too far from home (on occasion taking a road trip with Trucker hubby)  So I 'know' about people and their behaviors. 
      I suppose I could write about fantasy trip - but since I can't include pictures it wouldn't do much good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)