Is there any objective process to measure the merit of a painting?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5748499_f248.jpg
    Was Picasso a great painter? Why? 500 dollars if you can say this!

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm am often baffled by the terms good and great regarding art and artists.  From what I was taught in college (Art History & Theory) the art jurors consider a painting's nuances as a judging criterium.  They look beyond technique or lack thereof. 

They look for representation of the times, political, social, religious, mythological, personal.  They look for use of color as representational also in terms of why the artist used a particular color in a particular area of the painting.  They look for personal innuendo, such as a representation of the artist himself hidden somewhere in the painting or maybe out in plain view. 
      The artists' uses of symbolism is huge in judging his 'greatness'. 

All the old masters made their own paints so this is no longer considered part of the contest (at least with the masters) 

In the recent past, those who were the first to integrate computer enhanced images onto canvas were considered great at what they did but technology has allowed more people to do this so now it has become watered down in terms of uniqueness.  The masters actually needed raw talent alone with no help from technology.

As far as people like Pollack,  IMO his was also a representation of the times - chaos, change, rebellion.  In fact, and this is true, he and I were painting the same 'splash' painting at the same time, but not in the same place.  It's called simultaneious creativity.  The difference is I tthought it was crap and his ego allowed him to believe it was good.

2. profile image0

Jackson Pollock. Was he a painter?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5748503_f248.jpg

3. profile image0

?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5748514_f248.jpg

4. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

creativity is judged differently, it is subjective

5. profile image0

Like truth, falsehood - and sockpuppeting?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is not art.

I am not a sockpuppet, sorry, so I don't know.

1. profile image0
        PhenomWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did I ever say you are a sockpuppet?

I am just stating that I am not one so I don't know.

This thread by the way is nice. In social science these days, there are movements towards subjectivity too.

1. profile image0

I surely believe you...but there are?

yes, it used to be that you can predict behavior objectively by incorporating statistics, but now it is deeper that that. There is an intermingling of disciplines among social sciences like psych, socio, anthro, linguistics to understand deeper human behavior. Not only one discipline can understand why humans behave the way they do. it is complicated.

1. profile image0

I had a friend called Dr Acharya in India - he just died few days ago. He killed a dog before his death.    ...very complicated

I met a Ph D, Dr Acharya five years ago, she is married to an Acharya, can't remember her specialization, population or Economics, but she teaches in one of the University there. They have a beautiful daughter, she is beautiful too.

BTW, in connection to our topic one of my favorite author here has a latest hub about art and one of his hub is interesting

http://mikelickteig.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … is-Not-Art

2. profile image0

It's strange that you too met another Dr Acharya...some Acharyas are just fake, some people just smell the dirt once fakers start speaking

I am trying to remember her first name, but she is intelligent too. She spent one semester in the University where I worked, some kind of exchange fellow.

Found it now, here..

Sanghmitra S Acharya, Associate Professor, JNU, was faculty in IIPS,Mumbai (1990-99),UNFPA Fellow,University of Bostwana (1995- 96); ASF Fellow (2005) UPPI,Manila,Philippines; and Adjunct Associate Professor,at Ball State University, Muncie INDIANA (US) during 2008-09. Her research is in the area of youth, health and discrimination.

I remember now, she is into youth population and sexuality

2. profile image0

Do remember...Dr Acharya, before his death, just made a person brain-sick...how complicated. She is now suffering schzophrenia.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

Always good to hear from you, darkhorse.  Yes.  IMO, this is ongoing.  It will probably always be part of the human awareness and will go in cycles.  As far back (as recorded) as Aristotle, subjectivity has been the topic of discussion with regard to morality and ethics.  Socrates believed in questioning everything, keeping an open mind - which goes directly back to subjectivity and the views of others.

thanks for the info about Socrates etc - about subjectivity. I just thought that subjectivity was the name of the game now and before they are objective = they see the world more in blue or black

Exactly like truth and falsehood but the OP question pertained to the existence and/or validity of criteria used in judging paintings.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image55

Perhaps among those who go to school for arts, maestro or teachers -- they have criteria on how to judge works of students of arts.

But for laymen, it is subjective.

I can absolutely agree with you there.  The beauty of art is subjective throughout the field, even among the masters.  A patron who commissioned a piece didn't care whether he imposed his own secret agenda onto the painting.  They just wanted something beautiful, subjectively judged by the aesthetic of the times.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image55

we are the only one answering back and forth here in this post, LOL.
    Somebody with an artist mind or interested should chip in. I am also interested in the answers in your OP

1. profile image0

LOL? I guess the dog is showing her character somewhere?

To be honest, I really don't understand what you are talking about.

If you are talking about sockpuppets, they have reason on their own if they like to be one. Only that they should not create havoc, they are just fooling themselves if they do that.

pdh - many like the venom in the political, economic and religious forums.  Those wouldn't be bad if they would stick to the facts with backup.  I'm better at forums of art, ethics, philosophy.  Forums where I have to think for myself.  Of course, we can rarely lay claim to being original thinkers. 

This forum is actually sane.  Well, except for the psychodog.

Me too, I don't join the religious forums because I am a Christian and I don't want to quarrel with the non Christians.

2. profile image0

"yes, it used to be that you can predict behavior objectively by incorporating statistics, but now it is deeper that that. There is an intermingling of disciplines among social sciences like psych, socio, anthro, linguistics to understand deeper human behavior. Not only one discipline can understand why humans behave the way they do. it is complicated."

-search this thread and find...good luck

8. profile image0

...neurotic pleasures? Hurt others' feelings? Does that dog think it will be freed?

1. profile image0

...a person talking so long on void that does not affect its feelings roll

something is called conscience

PW - you probably have some interesting thoughts but I'm only able to grasp parts of them.  It would be helpful to discussion if you would write out your complete thought so we can interact.  Not a slam, just interested.

1. profile image0

Go through this forum post, you will learn a great deal about sockpuppeting-       http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/85441

May that Enlighten you...about the human character...and how some people are just just dogs.

Yeah, pretty hard to pick up on a thought process from another forum if you don't know it existed.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image55

oh My that forum, I wasn't able to respond, I think they closed that one already??

So let's bring Freud into the mix.  If subjectivity is to be applied to all arts, it's fair to assume that what we determine to be good or bad art is governed by our 'programming' from infancy.

could be, your upbringing, emotions and influences from the culture you are in plus desires perhaps

It is complicated

And even the time of life you are viewing the painting.  I may hate a painting at age 17 but as I mature in layers, over time, if I begin to understand what the artist was trying to say or portray, even the work and skill involved in the creation, I may like the painting more, even if I don't think it's beautiful.

2. profile image0

Did I say I was pointing at you? I wanted someone to see where sockpuppeting can go...nothing else

1. profile image0

But again you are saying you are not a faker or something roll

10. prettydarkhorse profile image55

I and Evo Guy are not one. Period. I want to answer that but I think they closed it already.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image55

you're right. And how you received the message the painter want to impart

12. profile image0

"If you are talking about sockpuppets, they have reason on their own if they like to be one."

-Please explain why and how are you saying this. That is not defending sockpuppets I guess?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)