14 Things to Stop Doing When You Get Angry
"He who angers you, conquers you." - Elizabeth Kenny
When you stop exhibiting these 14 behaviors you can resolve your anger without hurting others or stressing yourself:
1. Stop speaking. Silence is the number one behavior to practice when you are angry. Silence shows you are in control of your anger.
2. Stop staying angry. If your anger is stronger than five on a scale of one to ten, leave the situation until you or the other person is back in control. Focus on something else.
3. Stop staring. Break off eye contact with the other person. Staring inflames your anger. Look at the floor, the ceiling, or anywhere else.
4. Stop interrupting. This is directly connected to staying silent.
5. Stop cursing. Profanity only increases the tension.
6. Stop threatening.
7. Stop name calling.
8. Stop yelling.
9. Stop pointing.
10. Stop sarcasm and mocking. These behaviors can be hurtful and humiliating.
11. Stop throwing things.
12. Stop any non-affectionate touching. Do not touch, hold or push anyone else while you are angry.
13. Stop sighing. Non-verbal behavior includes sighing, chuckling, or rolling your eyes, and can also hurt or humiliate another person.
14. Stop criticizing. It is not your role to point out what others are doing wrong.
It is not always easy to manage your anger but it is not impossible. Stop these fourteen behaviors and stay in control. It soon becomes a habit.
Anger is the only thing to put off until tomorrow. - old Slovakian proverb
© Copyright BJ Rakow 2011. All rights reserved. Author, "Much of What You Know about Job Search Just Ain't So"
More by this Author
Why are difficult people difficult in the first place? Almost any competent psychologist can tell you the answer. Because they get a payoff when they are being difficult. How should you react to them?
This is the third article on Dealing with Difficult People. The bad news is - you cannot change other people. The good news is - you can change the way you react to them. Use the strategies and language I suggest and ....
Pigs are ranked number four in animal intelligence and can learn tricks faster than dogs. True!